• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guided buses on the Underground / Stadtbahn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
They could have modified the London bendy buses to run on the Northern Line :lol:

Gordon

Pretty certain neither of these systems still exist.

The Seattle one absolutely still exists. It was built as a bus tunnel at first, but then they 'saw the light' and put in proper light rail instead - or in this case as well as.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This is the same kerb-guided system as used in Dunstable, Cambridgeshire etc. However the tram lines are metre gauge and I don't think it would be possible to do the same with standard gauge. Pretty sure a flat-sided tram to the normal width of 2.65m would foul the lateral guides.

Note that the trolleybuses buses needed doors on both sides, and that their overhead was displaced off to one side presumably to clear the pantographs of trams.

If I recall correctly the Seattle one is unguided (for buses).

gsnedders

Established Member
The Seattle one absolutely still exists. It was built as a bus tunnel at first, but then they 'saw the light' and put in proper light rail instead - or in this case as well as.

It was always designed for dual usage (hence its height!), but it was uncertain whether any light rail would get built when the tunnel was build hence it wasn't originally fitted out for it.

Originally was fitted with a overhead wire for trolley buses, that went when the rail went in, but now operated by hybrid buses that run on battery only when in the tunnel.

If I recall correctly the Seattle one is unguided (for buses).

Indeed it is; they even have a small parking area down there.

WatcherZero

Established Member
The planks of wood thrown down for bus track is hilarious. Can you imagine trying to get that past a British tunnel fire safety case.

Bayum

Established Member
It irritated me how slow those buses were through the tunnel.

duesselmartin

Established Member
They were part of the problem. Mind you, Germans never understood the wooden escalators at Kings X.
From a durability point, the planks seemed silly, as the owner of that video clip suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.