• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford - Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if you can still get Guildford - Calais ticket ?

Years ago you could, but seems no one knows it exists it did in 2008, it cost £31.00.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Are you asking about the ticket that's valid via the Ferry from Dover Priory?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The Colonel

Eurostar will sell Guildford to Calais tickets.

This is not the ticket the OP is asking about.

The question relates to this thread:-
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52561

This is a SET set fare which was available from Guildford - I used it once IIRC £25ish. Was valid via London or Redhill/Tonbridge, as I went one way & back the other. It had no time restrictions and was cheaper than a return to Dover!

I've emailed someone who is in Guildford BO about it but not had a reply.

The Colonel

MarkyMarkD

It's still available from most SET stations. So you could get a connecting ticket from Guildford to the nearest SET station and then a day return (only day returns available) to Calais.

E.g. Tonbridge-Calais £23.20 day return.

John @ home

Established Member
National Fares Manual NFM 11 CD shows:
Guildford - Calais route Stena P&O
Adult
Anytime Day Return (SDR) £31.00.
NFM 11 does not show Railcard discounts for this fare, but we know from wintonian in this post that passengers have actually received the Railcard discount.

Out of date information.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
That is strange. That fare does not show where I am looking (obviously in the wrong place!).
You're right. It doesn't appear for me this morning, either. Sorry, all I can suggest is that I must have opened an out-of-date version of the National Fares Manual CD in error.

The best I can suggest is:
Guildford - London Terminals route Clandon/Woking
Adult
Anytime Day Return (SDR) £21.90 or Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) £17.80.
London Terminals - Calais route Stena P&O
Adult
SDR £36.00.
Total £57.90 or £53.80
Given bnm's quotation here from The Manual, that is reduced with a valid Railcard to:
Guildford - London Terminals route Clandon/Woking
Railcard
SDR £14.45 or CDR £11.75.
London Terminals - Calais route Stena P&O
Railcard
SDR £23.75.
Total £38.20 or £35.50

MarkyMarkD

Cheaper via Tonbridge, as I suggested (and there may be cheaper combinations). Change at Redhill. £18.20 SDR/£15.70 CDR and a far cheaper Calais fare, so total (assuming the SDR) of £41.40 before the railcard discount.

Doubtless slower, though, so it's a trade-off between cost and convenience.

wintonian

Established Member
For some people a through ticket to Calais will be better, but it is often possible to get the ferry day-trips for £1 (midweek).

Although you do have to purport to read the Daily Mail ;)

http://www.poferries.com/dailymail

Ahh you mean to say you don't actually have to read toilet roll?

Spending £30 plus has always been preferable to reading that muck and spending £1.

Opps silly me forgot to say must be via Boat, and thanks for info about newspaper deals, but I really would like to turn up at Guildford and buy a through ticket to Calais and not get a strange look from them at the window, and be told I must go via Eurostar.

I like boats :)

Cheers

wintonian

Established Member
Opps silly me forgot to say must be via Boat, and thanks for info about newspaper deals, but I really would like to turn up at Guildford and buy a through ticket to Calais and not get a strange look from them at the window, and be told I must go via Eurostar.

I like boats :)

Cheers

You can in theory, however wherever you buy this you are likely to get strange looks.

paul1609

Established Member
Hate to point this out but if you're in Guildford all the Day Trip destinations (Caen, Cherbourg St Malo) available from Brittany Ferries in Portsmouth are way, way better than Calais,
The ferries are better too!

Status
Not open for further replies.