• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford - Cardiff, Break at Bristol Temple Meads valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiledbeans2

I'm planning a trip from Guildford to Cardiff Central on a weekend.

On the GWR website, a Super Off-Peak Return is £78 (this weekend for example).

Can I break at Bristol Temple Meads on the outward portion, and break at Bath Spa on the return portion, despite the recommended route being via Bristol Parkway?
(Or possibly the reverse order: outward break at Bath, return break at Bristol Temple Meads, I haven't decided yet)

On the GWR website, I tried entering Guildford to Cardiff via Bath Spa or Bristol Temple Meads. The ticket price is the same at £78.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST274

Are you allowed break of journey on super off peak? It is just I have recently bought a super off peak return that said no break of journey permitted

jfollows

Established Member
Super offpeak return, route NOT VIA LONDON, has restriction code YW but no restriction on break of journey.

Allowed routes include map LW which allows Bath & Bristol (see http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps)

So I see no reason why your proposed break of journey stops would not be allowed.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Note that sometimes the GWR "app" is incorrectly stating that tickets bought through it have no break of journey permitted, this has been reported on other threads on this forum.

EDIT: See #31 for example

Last edited:

HST274

My mistake.
Note that sometimes the GWR "app" is incorrectly stating that tickets bought through it have no break of journey permitted, this has been reported on other threads on this forum.
I believe this happened to me on said super off-peak and surprise surprise on the GWR app

boiledbeans2

Thanks for your replies! That BRfares website seems to be a good website. I have bookmarked it for future use.

I've read in other threads that some staff are not properly trained on 'break of journeys' and might reject a valid ticket. Am I likely to encounter difficulties resuming my journey at the gatelines of Bath or Bristol Temple Meads?

jfollows

Established Member
I've read in other threads that some staff are not properly trained on 'break of journeys' and might reject a valid ticket. Am I likely to encounter difficulties resuming my journey at the gatelines of Bath or Bristol Temple Meads?
It's quite likely that a ticket barrier machine won't accept the ticket, in which case you'll have to divert to the person on the gateline and explain that you're breaking your journey. I've never had a problem doing this, but I have no recent experience - I lived in Bath in 1994/1995 so things were a little different then.

In the unlikely event that you encounter a problem, and as long as you're not using some "app" which incorrectly states you're not allowed to break your journey, you should be able to argue your case. I'd use a paper ticket rather than an e-ticket for this reason, as long as this doesn't cause you a problem, although I completely accept that e-tickets are as valid as the paper versions.

In the extremely unlikely event that you end up being compelled to pay for another ticket, keep all evidence and claim the money back. I don't think this is very likely but, as you say, best to be prepared for incompetence and bad training.

Note that you have to use the outward portion of this ticket on one day (you said you were thinking of breaking your journey at Bristol, that's fine, but you can't stay overnight in Bristol and resume using the ticket TO Cardiff on the following day).

Last edited:

HST274

Thanks for your replies! That BRfares website seems to be a good website. I have bookmarked it for future use.

Perhaps to try and make sure it is fine, aim for the same member of staff on leaving and entering. Obviously harder in big stations but if they let you out fine the staff member will be fine letting back in (you would think :lol:)

boiledbeans2

Note that you have to use the outward portion of this ticket on one day (you said you were thinking of breaking your journey at Bristol, that's fine, but you can't stay overnight in Bristol and resume using the ticket TO Cardiff on the following day).
Thanks for all your replies. Yep, I plan to only go out for a few hours and re-enter on the same day.

I have another question. Is the 'Super offpeak return, route NOT VIA LONDON' ticket at £78 discussed above valid on this route:
Guildford - Woking - Basingstoke - Reading
instead of using the North Downs Line?

jfollows

Established Member
I have another question. Is the 'Super offpeak return, route NOT VIA LONDON' ticket at £78 discussed above valid on this route:
Guildford - Woking - Basingstoke - Reading
instead of using the North Downs Line?
No, I don't think so.
The routing guide gives the map combinations you can use as
PD+WX+LA
PD+WX+LW
XC+LA
XC+LW
and none of these include Basingstoke that I can see.
Have a look for yourself:

EDIT: I have not gone through all the steps in the routing guide, but you might find it interesting and useful if you do so yourself, starting at http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/nrg_instructions.pdf and following the process.

Last edited:

boiledbeans2

No, I don't think so.
The routing guide gives the map combinations you can use as
PD+WX+LA
PD+WX+LW
XC+LA
XC+LW
and none of these include Basingstoke that I can see.
Have a look for yourself:

EDIT: I have not gone through all the steps in the routing guide, but you might find it interesting and useful if you do so yourself, starting at http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/nrg_instructions.pdf and following the process.
Hmmm... I haven't gone through the steps as well, but I just tried a quick test.

On the GWR website, I choose Guildford - Cardiff via Basingstoke for 5th June. It gives the same price for a Super Off-Peak Return, not via London of £78.

So I think it is a valid route. Probably answered my own question lol.

JB_B

Established Member
Hmmm... I haven't gone through the steps as well, but I just tried a quick test.

On the GWR website, I choose Guildford - Cardiff via Basingstoke for 5th June. It gives the same price for a Super Off-Peak Return, not via London of £78.

So I think it is a valid route. Probably answered my own question lol.

As long as you get an itinerary when you book the ticket then you're covered ( and it's certainly not an unreasonable route.)

However, I must admit that I'm puzzled as to why some booking sites (not just GWR) are offering the route you want (Guildford, Woking, Basingstoke,Reading,Cardiff) for that ticket.

It's way over 3m longer than the shortest route and obviously you'd not be taking a direct train so that leaves mapped routes. None of the relevant maps appear to cover the Basingstoke-Reading leg ( even if, perhaps controversially, you allow for combining to/from LONDON maps for a journey on a route:not-London ticket.)

I couldn't spot any relevant easement.

What have I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.