• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford Engineering Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The Guildford area has been largely devoid of trains all week and remains so until Monday, with engineering works underway. Does anyone know what is being done? With lock-down, my local line at Betchworth is effectively closed, making the whole area exceptionally quiet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Several points at the London end of the station are being replaced, lots of the conductor rail being replaced and new track circuits being installed. The Network Rail Wessex Twitter feed has plenty of pictures and some more detail. https://twitter.com/NetworkRailWssx

DelW

Established Member
The Guildford area has been largely devoid of trains all week and remains so until Monday, with engineering works underway. Does anyone know what is being done? With lock-down, my local line at Betchworth is effectively closed, making the whole area exceptionally quiet.
I think that would have been the case regardless of virus precautions. The advance publicity that I heard warned that the Portsmouth Direct would be closed from Good Friday until this Sunday (19th) with buses running between Woking and Haslemere. Other work has been going on on that route as well, this week there has been a crew working on the river bridge at Godalming (as seen during my "exercise" walks).

Surreyman

As of yesterday, track on the north side of Guildford station comprising the main line (up & down Woking) and the easternmost track of the Reading line was being replaced with brand new ballast/sleepers/Rails, stretching into platforms 3 & 4.
Currently no sign of any track replacement on the Effingham approach lines or to the south of the station (by the tunnel).
Will update.
N.B use of rail replacement buses has, not surprisingly been absolutely minimal, often empty buses or just 1 or 2 people. - probably a few more in 'rush hour.'

DelW

Established Member
Surrey Live has an article on the works at Guildford, which finished on time for services to restart today:

Full details of what has changed after biggest Guildford railway upgrade for 40 years
Ten days of work around Guildford saw brand new track laid and signalling upgraded

By
Dave Comeau

0_Guildford-railway-upgradeJPG.jpg
One of the first trains to travel over the new track in Guildford (Image: Network Rail)

The biggest upgrade of the railway line around Guildford for four decades has been completed on time.
Network Rail engineers have been working for 10 days over the Easter holidays to deliver the improvements and all lines reopened at 4am on Monday (April 20) after closing on April 10.

Services between London Waterloo and Guildford via Clandon had already resumed on April 14.

Over a combined 20,000 hours of work between the engineers they laid around 1,500 metres of new track on lines approaching Guildford from Worplesdon and Wanborough, used by South Western Railway (SWR) and Great Western Railway (GWR).

Network Rail says the new track, which will benefit services to Gatwick Airport, London Waterloo, Reading and Woking, is designed to last up to 60 years and will reduce delays caused by track failures.
Here's a summary of what work was completed:

• Brand new track totalling around 1,500 metres laid
  • Upgraded signalling equipment installed at Guildford station
  • Power supplies upgraded with 1,200 metres of conductor rail renewed from Guildford to Clandon
  • 41 track circuits upgraded
  • Speed restrictions removed from the area around St Catherine's Tunnel, where two landslips occurred last year
  • New paintwork and anti-slip tiles installed on the overbridge at Guildford station
The two landslips that caused disruption around St Catherine's Tunnel, between Guildford and Shalford, required engineers to remove around 800 tonnes of sand and strengthen an embankment and rockface.

During that work, engineers uncovered what's thought to have been a Medieval shrine to St Catherine in a hidden cave.

Markings found within the small cave in the hill below the ruins of the chapel of St Catherine (Image: Network Rail)
As well as at Guildford, work was carried out around Witley and Godalming. At Witley, maintenance was carried out by 'tamping' units, which are machines that pack the ballast stones under the tracks more tightly to make them more secure.
In Godalming, new wheeltimbers and rails were installed at the bridge over the River Wey.
Mark Killick, route director for Network Rail Wessex, said: "We've now completed the biggest rail improvement programme in the Guildford area for nearly 40 years, one that has taken two years to plan and will provide a more reliable railway and better journeys for passengers.
https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/su...ord-station-closed-train-engineering-18103975
"I'd like to thank key workers and those unable to work from home for their patience during the works and also praise our railway heroes who adopted new practices and worked tirelessly over the Easter break. Their efforts will ensure the railway is ready and waiting for passengers once the pandemic restrictions are eventually lifted."
Engineers will return to Guildford over the coming weeks to conduct follow up work. This will take place on the following dates:
  • Saturday and Sunday, April 25 and 26
  • Saturday and Sunday, May 16 and 17
The track renewal at Guildford station used 18 engineering trains, two Kirow cranes, two tampers and two Road Rail Vehicles (RRVs).

pompeyfan

Established Member
It surprises me that the track layout was not made more flexible, when running on the down main, it causes a conflict when running into platform 3. I see there was a points failure today!! Looks like a set of switches that was changed!

Meerkat

Established Member
Why are the track circuits being replaced with new track circuits - I thought axle counters were the thing now, or is that only in full resignalling effots?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why are the track circuits being replaced with new track circuits - I thought axle counters were the thing now, or is that only in full resignalling effots?

Usually axle counters need either extra stuff in the interlocking, or additional kit out on the ground. So, yes, typically only done at the time of a major resignalling.

Surreyman

Has the track layout been altered in any way?
As far as I can tell it has stayed the same (Viewed from Yorkies bridge).
Completely new track laid comprises: -
Short stretches on the north side of the station, the 2 'Main' tracks, stretching from the ends of platforms 4 & 5 as far as far the new sidings and the eastern 'Reading' line the same distance but up the bank on the curve by Surrey University.
Also a shorter part of the track that serves platforms 6 & 8 (the western Reading line) and the western sidings but only as far as Yorkies bridge.
There are also a number of new/replaced point mechanisms, and various bits/boxes etc in and around the station which I don't pretend to understand/identify but are obviously signal related.
N.B Yorkies bridge is a pedestrian bridge, spanning all the tracks on the north side, at the point where the Reading/Main/Effingham lines diverge.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks Surreyman; much appreciated.

Never knew it was called Yorkies bridge - is that the one with the (what I assume is a) gas main running beside it?

strimmer

Well, I never knew it was called Yorkies Bridge either. Does anybody know how it got that name?

RichT54

Well, I never knew it was called Yorkies Bridge either. Does anybody know how it got that name?

One theory is described in this article.

Enter Guildford local historian David Rose.
“The story goes that when the railway came through in 1845 the land on either side of it was farm land,” he said. 'Yorkie's Bridge' was named after a Yorkshire farmer
“I think Lord Onslow would have owned it at the time and it would have been a tenant farmer on the land. “The railway split his land and the farm was not happy about it,. He was nicknamed ‘Yorkie’ [as he was from Yorkshire] but we don’t know what his real name is.
“He grazed his cattle on Stag Hill but the new railway line cut his farmhouse off from his fields so he negotiated with London & South Western to build him a bridge so that he could transfer his cattle from one field to the other side of the railway line.”
Mr Rose said he was not sure if the current bridge is the original or a later structure built in the 19th century.

Surreyman

One theory is described in this article.
David Rose is a highly regarded local historian, his info is likely the best there is.
Yorkies bridge is mainly used now by students walking from Surrey University to the town centre via Walnut tree close (+ local walkers) Surrey University is built on Stag Hill (alongside the Cathedral)
Stag Hill was originally owned by the Onslow family (they seemed to have owned large parts of Guildford in the past) I have an old (Repo)Ordnance survey map dated 1895 which shows the bridge connecting via a track to 'Guildfordpark farm' located roughly where 'Scholars Walk' is today.
The Onslows gave up/bequeathed? Stag Hill in the 1930s so the Cathedral and later the University were built on it.
The bridge is made of steel @ 10 feet in width, so over - engineered for pedestrians, probably designed for carts originally and carries a large metal pipe.
Extra piece of trivia, there are actually 7 tracks underneath Yorkies bridge, from west to east, 2 Readings, 2 Woking Mains, 1 siding (old jointed track on wooden sleepers, leading to the 2 newish sidings, 2 Efiinghams.

DelW

Established Member
It was widely known as Yorkies bridge when I was at Surrey University in the early 1970s. At that time it had a rather unsavoury reputation, and female students were advised not to use it unaccompanied, especially after dark. The path down to Walnut Tree Close was then narrower and poorly lit, with industrial premises either side, so it could feel a bit intimidating.

strimmer

Thanks to Surreyman and others, this is all new to me, a lifelong Guildford resident. I've always referred to it as University Bridge in my records, I like the sound of Yorkie's Bridge much better.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Surrey Live has an article on the works at Guildford, which finished on time for services to restart today:

Misleading for the general public as, as far they are concerned, nothing has changed - kit has just been renewed. Train service flexibility won't increase, so they'll only (possibly) see improved reliability (although not yet, it seems!).

Deepgreen

Established Member
I think that would have been the case regardless of virus precautions. The advance publicity that I heard warned that the Portsmouth Direct would be closed from Good Friday until this Sunday (19th) with buses running between Woking and Haslemere. Other work has been going on on that route as well, this week there has been a crew working on the river bridge at Godalming (as seen during my "exercise" walks).
Yes, my point was that the Betchworth area is exceptionally quiet because of the lockdown issue, not that the line is closed only owing to lockdown.

Veteran Member
Misleading for the general public as, as far they are concerned, nothing has changed - kit has just been renewed. Train service flexibility won't increase, so they'll only (possibly) see improved reliability (although not yet, it seems!).
Improved reliability is all the article seems to claim

TEW

Established Member
The longstanding temporary speed restriction on the up main has gone, so that should have a benefit to punctuality. It was quite tedious crawling out of Guildford towards Woking on a longer formation.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The longstanding temporary speed restriction on the up main has gone, so that should have a benefit to punctuality. It was quite tedious crawling out of Guildford towards Woking on a longer formation.
Yes, but a shouting headline about "full details" of changes suggests much more than this! Mind you, 'Get Surrey' is notoriously dire anyway, so this comes as no surprise.

strimmer

I recently visited Yorkie's Bridge and noticed the sign in the attached photo. I emailed Network Rail, to ask for clarification on the name of the bridge, and also to point out that the bridge was between Guildford and Worplesdon staions. I've just received a reply, in which they state that "Yorke's Bridge" is the correct name. They also informed me that the sign would be changed in due course, to show the correct location.

Attachments

• IMGP3436_DxO-Edit.jpg
    IMGP3436_DxO-Edit.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75

DelW

Established Member
Not only is the location wrong, but "Guilford" (sic) Park Road is mis-spelt. A pretty shoddy effort all round.

DelW

Established Member
I can't find it named on any OS maps, but in recent traffic consultations both Guildford Borough and Surrey County councils spell the bridge with the "i". They don't seem to agree about the apostrophe though.
Screenshot_20200813-220620_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20200813-220544_Drive.jpg
(images of documents referring to "Yorkie's" and "Yorkies" bridge)

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
I recently visited Yorkie's Bridge and noticed the sign in the attached photo. I emailed Network Rail, to ask for clarification on the name of the bridge, and also to point out that the bridge was between Guildford and Worplesdon staions. I've just received a reply, in which they state that "Yorke's Bridge" is the correct name. They also informed me that the sign would be changed in due course, to show the correct location.
I've always known it as Yorkie's

Not only is the location wrong, but "Guilford" (sic) Park Road is mis-spelt. A pretty shoddy effort all round.

+1

3 mistakes already by my counting.

I can't find it named on any OS maps, but in recent traffic consultations both Guildford Borough and Surrey County councils spell the bridge with the "i". They don't seem to agree about the apostrophe though.
View attachment 82198View attachment 82199

It's shown as Yorkie's on Google maps and think they get their data from some national official dataset, not sure if from os or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.