• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Gunman' at Sleaford Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPosh

A man was arrested at Sleaford station this evening after threatening the Driver and guard of the (17.xx) train to Lincoln.

Turned out to be a toy gun and nobody was hurt. However, that was unknown at the time. The man was (apparently) an escapee from Lincoln prison and had traveled to Sleaford on that service which was due to return.

The reason I post is not for one of gossip, but of heroism. My mother in law was due to travel on the Lincoln train. She is in a wheelchair and was about to be helped onto the train by the guard. All of the other passengers scrambled onto the train and out of the way, but she couldn't.

The guard placed himself between her and the gunman. Fantastic bravery.

The police boarded the train, but the driver refused to wait and they had to search it on the way to Lincoln.

Apologies for anything that turns out to be inaccurate - the details about the gunman are from the police on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Extremely brave of him. Glad it turned out ok and there were no injuries.

Last edited:

David

Established Member
The guard placed himself between her and the gunman. Fantastic bravery.

Top man! Not sure if I could do something like that!

Write to all the national papers, your MP, the DfT and EMT. Hopefully we can get a good news story about the railway into the media for once, and get the guard the recognition he deserves.

the sniper

Established Member
The police boarded the train, but the driver refused to wait and they had to search it on the way to Lincoln.

The suspect was possibly still on the train?! Was it known that the person didn't have a real gun at this point?

GadgetMan

TPE Management would give the Guard a 'please explain' after downloading the CCTV hed not had his ticket checked.

XC management would want to know why the guard didn't offer the suspect a free upgrade to first class, free drink and snack to calm him down and a please explain followed by a telling off for the delay.

Central Trains management would want to know why trains from that station had NOT been cancelled for the rest of the month :p

Wath Yard

The suspect was possibly still on the train?! Was it known that the person didn't have a real gun at this point?

It does seem somewhat incredible. Driver threatened by gun, normal police (not armed) turn up, station not evacuated and driver just carries on regardless with the offender on his train. I think some facts may have been a bit confused here.

Bellwater

XC management would want to know why the guard didn't offer the suspect a free upgrade to first class, free drink and snack to calm him down and a please explain followed by a telling off for the delay.

Central Trains management would want to know why trains from that station had NOT been cancelled for the rest of the month :p

CT management would make a half arsed attempt to Discipline the Guard and then back down

Dodgy area that... I was at Heckington station once and was approached by some guy with an Eastern European accent and black leather jacket asking what time it was... then he caught me looking at something he had in his hand that had on it something ending in "Prison" He looked at me with some sly smirk "just got out" he said. Creeped me out, looked like Polish Mafia or something!

mullin

...was approached by...asking what time it was...

If you wear a watch, you'll look at it, say the time, the person thanks you, you each go your own ways.

If you're not wearing a watch, then generally you'll go into your pocket or bag and pull out your phone. Phone is then stolen out of your hands

MrPosh

It does seem somewhat incredible. Driver threatened by gun, normal police (not armed) turn up, station not evacuated and driver just carries on regardless with the offender on his train. I think some facts may have been a bit confused here.

Sorry. That's my telling that's at fault.

The man was arrested at Sleaford. Whether by armed police or regular, I don't know. Sleaford has a large regional police station, so having armed police there is likely.

Once the man was arrested and taken away, the police wanted to keep the train in Sleaford to search for evidence. This is when the driver informed them they could do that equally well while the train was moving and left for Lincoln.

Bellwater

Dodgy area that... I was at Heckington station once and was approached by some guy with an Eastern European accent and black leather jacket asking what time it was... then he caught me looking at something he had in his hand that had on it something ending in "Prison" He looked at me with some sly smirk "just got out" he said. Creeped me out, looked like Polish Mafia or something!

Usually a few hanging round Heckington after being chucked off trains for 'me have no money'.

ls1911

CT management would make a half arsed attempt to Discipline the Guard and then back down

The company i work for (who will rename nameless!) would probably want to know why i didnt allow him on the train&then do me for incorrect door procedures!!

Status
Not open for further replies.