• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gunman opens fire in Florida nightclub, many dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There are some truly sick people in this world. Now 50 dead. It was 20 an hour or so ago.

America and its relationship with guns will once again become a focal point of discussion, and it also shows that homegrown terrorism continues to be a real concern for all countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36512308

Aunt Beeb said:
Fifty killed in Orlando gay nightclub shooting

Fifty people are now known to have died in Saturday's shooting in a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, and a "state of emergency" has been declared, the city's mayor has said.

The gunman, named by officials as Omar Mateen, was killed after taking hostages.

Another 53 people were injured in the shooting at the Pulse club.
It is the worst mass shooting in US history. Police described it as an act of terrorism.

His father claimed that he was angered by seeing two men kissing on TV. Perhaps he was angered by the fact that it tickled his fancy?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
America and its relationship with guns will once again become a focal point of discussion, and it also shows that homegrown terrorism continues to be a real concern for all countries.

I don't see it. If Americans did basically nothing when Sandy Hook killed 20 children then they'll do nothing here.

This is going to get worse rather than better due to a rising wave of hate in the US

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thought go out to family and friends after this horrifying event.
Sam

Johnuk123

Established Member
The killer is a US citizen with Afghanistan heritage who has been on the Islamic extremist radar for some time but not apparently enough to warrant being watched.
This will do Trump no harm at all.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member

are no more important than other human beings.

Human history has shown so far that we should not be surprised to see periodic mass killings and other atrocities. These happen even in traditionally more peaceful countries. It is part of the randomness of human nature.

Harbornite

Established Member
Absolute scum, some people are twisted and ignorant, which is why incidents such as this still occur. More gun control measures would be a positive step, even though not all incidents can be prevented.

me123

Established Member

It's America. I can only assume that the answer to this problem will be more guns.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The killer is a US citizen with Afghanistan heritage who has been on the Islamic extremist radar for some time but not apparently enough to warrant being watched.
This will do Trump no harm at all.

Trump's "policy" (I use that word in its loosest possible sense) is to prevent non-US Muslims entering the country. As such, it would not have prevented this US citizen from committing this atrocity.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Utterly sickening. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families & friends at this unbelievably traumatic time.

Domh245

Established Member
Trump's "policy" (I use that word in its loosest possible sense) is to prevent non-US Muslims entering the country. As such, it would not have prevented this US citizen from committing this atrocity.

Given Trump's rather fluid nature to policy this far, it is quite likely that he'll come out and say that he'd have done something about it.

Gutfright

Obammer and $hillary both refuse to use terms like "Islamic terrorism", which is frustrating and ridiculous to many voters in the US. Omar Mateen has moved Trump a step closer to the White House.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Perhaps it is a good time to refresh our memory of run, hide, tell:
Stay%20Safe.jpg

Gutfright

Given Trump's rather fluid nature to policy this far, it is quite likely that he'll come out and say that he'd have done something about it.

He probably will.

My guess is that he will also use the line he's used about the Paris, Brussels and San Bernardino attacks, alleging that Muslims in the community "knew what the terrorists were up to" but failed to report them.

By contrast, Hillary is unlikely to even mention Mateen's religion. A tactic that is likely to infuriate many people and will make it seem to some that she's more interested in protecting the sensibilities of Muslims than dealing with terrorism.

Domh245

Established Member
By contrast, Hillary is unlikely to even mention Mateen's religion. A tactic that is likely to infuriate many people and will make it seem to some that she's more interested in protecting the sensibilities of Muslims than dealing with terrorism.

She'll probably use this to talk about Gun regulation, which will irritate a lot of people anyway.

radamfi

Established Member
I don't think it is very helpful to have postmortem threads when bad things happen. It is all very well saying someone is "scum" but what good does it do? Until we program all human being at birth, we need to accept these events as part of life. We only really talk about the major incidents involving a lot of people but there are incidents with fewer people involved which are nevertheless as tragic for the people concerned. Bad things happen to good people on a minute by minute basis.

N228PF

Please keep the victims in your thoughts. This hit my community, despite me currently studying at Uni in a city not so far away. Many of my friends and I are unsettled, worried that someone we know could have lost their life last night. Orlando is also lining up to donate blood left right and center.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Unlike wars or natural disasters, heinous crimes like this one unless a seemingly bottomless well of entirely preventable pain and suffering. I am deeply saddened by these losses. With my deepest sympathy.

SS4

Established Member
are no more important than other human beings.

Human history has shown so far that we should not be surprised to see periodic mass killings and other atrocities. These happen even in traditionally more peaceful countries. It is part of the randomness of human nature.

That's your opinion (and one I share FWIW) but the Press and politicians treat children as somewhat more important - possibly due to the biological urge to protect ones young common to all animals.

She'll probably use this to talk about Gun regulation, which will irritate a lot of people anyway.

I don't see it mattering that much. Those firmly against gun control are not going to vote Democrat and her supporters are more likely to support gun control

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That it probably will, but it is much needed. Even for a terrorist it would be much harder to get hold of the requisite guns in the UK, unless you wanted to mount a not very terrifying so-called terrorist attack using an air rifle or a BB gun. In the US it's easy.

zuriblue

His father claimed that he was angered by seeing two men kissing on TV. Perhaps he was angered by the fact that it tickled his fancy?

Quite possible. There is a proven link between extreme homophobia and closeted gay sexuality.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
IS has claimed responsibility but no link has yet been formally identified.

SS4

Established Member
IS claim responsibility for a lot of things. The perpetrator's father and ex-wife have both said that this was not motivated by religion.

I wonder what it was motivated by? A lot of homophobic arguments have their basis in religion (which of course is never wrong and must not be questioned)

Butts

Veteran Member
I wonder what it was motivated by? A lot of homophobic arguments have their basis in religion (which of course is never wrong and must not be questioned)

Being a homophobe and killing so many innocent people must have ulterior factors such as mental instability.

I wonder if there are any nations that have relatively high gun ownership but low homocide rates ? - whoops freudian slip make that homicides.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
I don't think it is very helpful to have postmortem threads when bad things happen. It is all very well saying someone is "scum" but what good does it do? Until we program all human being at birth, we need to accept these events as part of life. We only really talk about the major incidents involving a lot of people but there are incidents with fewer people involved which are nevertheless as tragic for the people concerned. Bad things happen to good people on a minute by minute basis.

Because it's a forum and we have the right to comment on current events? If you don't like thr thread then go somewhere else.

miami

Established Member
Interesting comparing the Leytonstone stabbling (one lone islamic ****) with this attack (one lone islamic ****)

But hey, on December 14, 2012 there were two school attacks. Sandy Hook in the US, 28 dead, and Chenpeng Village in China, 0 dead.

I'm struggling to see why the deaths occur in the US and elsewhere it's just injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.