• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guyhirn (Cambridgeshire) bus crash 26/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Lot of coverage on this unfortunate incident, with serious injuries etc. Obviously, goes without saying that best hopes go to all affected.

Speculation on cause etc isn’t really required.

The bus is one of First’s Excel deckers; ID is visible but not important.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44612842
Two men have died in a crash between a double-decker bus and a lorry in the Cambridgeshire Fens, police said.

Some 20 people were injured in the accident at about 07:30 BST on the A47 Thorney Road in Guyhirn.

Cambridgeshire Police has said "a total of 20 people who were travelling in the bus, were injured - nine are seriously injured and 11 have minor injuries"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
The A47 is a dreadful road - long overdue for upgrades to dual carriageway which would benefit all road users and make journeys both safer and quicker - politicians of various stripes should be hanging their heads in shame that this hasn't been addressed.

Thoughts with those affected by today's incident.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The A47 is a dreadful road - long overdue for upgrades to dual carriageway which would benefit all road users and make journeys both safer and quicker - politicians of various stripes should be hanging their heads in shame that this hasn't been addressed.

Whilst not a politicised post/subject, and not knowing the circumstances behind this incident, I do agree with you in terms of the absence of action in improving the road.

spuddie

Thoughts go out to the friends and families of those involved, the photos on the metro do not make it look good for the driver of the bus.

spuddie

Just been confirmed on BBC news that two men have sadly died and seven people are seriously injured.

Sad news for all those involved.

Antman

Established Member

Now really isn't the time to be apportioning blame.

Awful incident and my thoughts go to those involved.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Terribly sad for those involved

Looks (from the pictures) like it was a bus on the X1 service?

A0wen

On Moderation

Awful incident and my thoughts go to those involved.

I didn't apportion blame - I did state fact about the A47 being an incredibly dangerous road and one which has seen scant investment in recent years which sadly results in incidents such as this one. As far back as 1997 some significant improvements had been proposed all of which were shelved by "Lord" Prescott.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Terribly sad for those involved

Looks (from the pictures) like it was a bus on the X1 service?

Yes, an eastbound X1 from Peterborough towards Wisbech and King’s Lynn, most likely with a driver from the Lynn depot. The artic appears to have been exiting the Brett’s depot and turning west.

westcoaster

Established Member
May the driver and passenger rest in peace.
Not a nice thing to happen, looking at the pictures looks like a slower speed collision.

( Just a general observation, the apparent lack of skid marks from the bus. Does that show the ABS worked as intended.)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not a nice thing to happen, looking at the pictures looks like a slower speed collision.

( Just a general observation, the apparent lack of skid marks from the bus. Does that show the ABS worked as intended.)
I don’t think we can (or should) speculate on the issue of braking etc. Let the police investigation team deal with that.

Obviously, awful for the families affected but also for the emergency services and FEC staff. Let’s pray the injured make a rapid recovery.

freetoview33

Established Member
Thoughts are with everyone effected, it is sad that two people have lost their lives.
As said it would be wrong to speculate the exact cause of this accident.
Regardless of the cause there are some roads that can be particularly dangerous and could do with safety improvements!

alex397

Established Member
Seems rare for drivers/passengers to lose their lives in a bus crash - a tragic incident. Thoughts to all those involved - the loss of just one life can affect many others.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The bus involved is 33804, but that obviously isn't the importance at this moment.

My thoughts are with those involved, how terrible for them to board a bus not knowing they weren't going to make it home this morning.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Been offline all day today; just logged on to Facebook to see this all over my wall. Horrific to say the least. My most sincere condolences go out to the families & friends of the deceased driver & passenger; thoughts are also with the emergency services who dealt with the aftermath & cleanup effort. Horrible stuff... :(

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member

having seen the photos myself, and also the remains of the bus involved I have to question on what grounds you think it was a slower speed collision? whilst the lorry may have been going at a low speed {it was pulling out of it's depot onto the main road} I don't think anyone could say the evidence shows a bus travelling at low speed!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Agreed. I do have my own thoughts on things but I will not publish those here. Thoughts to the families of the deceased and also to the colleagues of the bus driver.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.