• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 158 cascade West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Apedlar12

158766 on Devon Metro today and looks to be on its way to Barnstaple soon which will be the first time a 158 has visited that line in years if it does indeed go all the way

Amlag

158766 on Devon Metro today and looks to be on its way to Barnstaple soon which will be the first time a 158 has visited that line in years if it does indeed go all the way
Indeed it did !
I by chance travelled on it on the 1143 from Barnstaple to Eggesford after some shopping, the approx 40 other passengers seemed totally oblivious to the superior comfort ( compared to a cl 143 Pacer unit) in this fully refurbished cl 158.
BUT its lavatory was OUT OF ORDER; possibly the reason it was today on Devon local services !

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Will be interesting if I end up with a 158 from Barnstaple on Sunday. Would be nice, especially as the rest of the journey (Exeter to Bristol) will be first class! (off topic a bit, there are some seriously good GWR advances for that journey, £11 first class advance single compared to a normal standard class walk up single of around £30!).

Apedlar12

Will be interesting if I end up with a 158 from Barnstaple on Sunday. Would be nice, especially as the rest of the journey (Exeter to Bristol) will be first class! (off topic a bit, there are some seriously good GWR advances for that journey, £11 first class advance single compared to a normal standard class walk up single of around £30!).
Sundays from Barnstaple see 2x double 143 sets and 2 150s so I wouldn't think there will be a 158 on Sunday. Also the diagram that 158766 is on today then goes on to form 2M72 to Bristol TM so that could be why it is on the Metro as well today.

Apedlar12

Indeed it did !
I by chance travelled on it on the 1143 from Barnstaple to Eggesford after some shopping, the approx 40 other passengers seemed totally oblivious to the superior comfort ( compared to a cl 143 Pacer unit) in this fully refurbished cl 158.
BUT its lavatory was OUT OF ORDER; possibly the reason it was today on Devon local services !
I came down to Barnstaple to see it today also 158763 was on 2C42 to Penzance so both 2 car 158/7 units are in Devon / Cornwall today :)

RPI

Established Member
Indeed it did !
there are two on a 158 though

so both 2 car 158/7 units are in Devon / Cornwall today
Because high summer timetable has ended now, 2C42 ex Bristol now goes to Penzance so it's now back to a booked 158 diagram (during high summer, 2C42 runs to Newquay and not Penzance).

83G/84D

Established Member
2C42 never runs to Newquay, 2C41/2N02 does though. 158’s not passed to Newquay.

jimm

Established Member

Apedlar12

158763 ventured down to Exmouth and then Barnstaple today so that is 2 158s in a week to visit the Devon branches.

moley

Definitely. Has come up fairly often, but the power cars are out of gauge on the normal route via Netley and Swanwick.
On paper.
So were the Turbos until these started to route clear around Hamble. HSTs also have the SSL requirement over third rail which shouldn't be a difficult obstacle. The final issue was that an HST+8 coaches was supposedly not allowed over the Fareham viaduct however at least twice in the last 10 years, FGW (as was) have run HST Bristol-Fratton footie trains via Eastleigh and Fareham so this can't be a problem.

But hey, its the right answer for the route, just not for someone making the decisions. My one hope is that in a few years, someone will give GWR some additional 10 car IETs to release the 5 cars to SWR releasing the 159s... but now straying off topic.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So were the Turbos until these started to route clear around Hamble. HSTs also have the SSL requirement over third rail which shouldn't be a difficult obstacle. The final issue was that an HST+8 coaches was supposedly not allowed over the Fareham viaduct however at least twice in the last 10 years, FGW (as was) have run HST Bristol-Fratton footie trains via Eastleigh and Fareham so this can't be a problem.

But hey, its the right answer for the route, just not for someone making the decisions. My one hope is that in a few years, someone will give GWR some additional 10 car IETs to release the 5 cars to SWR releasing the 159s... but now straying off topic.
Multispan girder bridges such as over the Itchen and Hamble are probably a different scale of problem. I never suggested it is impossible, but it has to be cost effective.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A quick question:

Are any of the 158s permanently based at Exeter or points west, or are they coming down for a short while before returning to Bristol?

No. They are based at PM but will be allocated to Exeter possibly next year when they finish on the Cardiff to Portsmouths.

Apedlar12

No. They are based at PM but will be allocated to Exeter possibly next year when they finish on the Cardiff to Portsmouths.
158763/766 seem to be running out of Exeter nearly every weekday atm so you would think that they have transferred but as you say they are still based at SPM atm

On Moderation
Not that it actually has anything to do with 158s but the fact of the matter is that the first GWR set does have short swing link bogies, as illustrated in these photos where it says plain as day 'SSL' on the coach ends.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/27406815848

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/27406852768/in/photostream/
I wouldn’t rely on the vehicle ends being correct - they are not always updated after bogie changes. The only certain way to tell is by looking at the bogies.

jimm

Established Member
But since none of the GWR 2+4 sets will be going anywhere near a third rail, what does it matter anyway? And it's still nothing to do with Class 158s.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
158763/766 seem to be running out of Exeter nearly every weekday atm so you would think that they have transferred but as you say they are still based at SPM atm

They start off from Bristol on Day 1 and arrive back there at the end of Day 2. On arrival at Exeter from Penzance on day 1 they are now going ECS to Taunton and stabling overnight in Platform 6 Bay for the 0512 Taunton to Cardiff. I think this arrangment is to reduce the number of units on Exeter Depot due to restricted space while the Depot extension is being constructed.

Apedlar12

They start off from Bristol on Day 1 and arrive back there at the end of Day 2. On arrival at Exeter from Penzance on day 1 they are now going ECS to Taunton and stabling overnight in Platform 6 Bay for the 0512 Taunton to Cardiff. I think this arrangment is to reduce the number of units on Exeter Depot due to restricted space while the Depot extension is being constructed.

Ah thank you, I have been wondering about that for a while now :)

Apedlar12

158766 worked 2C42 down to Penzance today and is now enroute back to Exeter on 2E88. 158961 was swapped with 150238 on 2C69 to also head down to Penzance but has now been swapped with 153361 at Plymouth due to the diagram continuing on to Gunnislake

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
158766 worked 2C42 down to Penzance today and is now enroute back to Exeter on 2E88. 158961 was swapped with 150238 on 2C69 to also head down to Penzance but has now been swapped with 153361 at Plymouth due to the diagram continuing on to Gunnislake

No swap on 2C69 as it now runs from Cardiff to Penzance.

Status
Not open for further replies.