• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 158 in strange territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR 158798 together with it's unique Springboard Livery has today worked 2 round trips between Cardiff and Abergavenny and currently in process of working 3 round trips to Ebbw Vale. Due to Engineering Work it was "trapped" at Canton off the last Pompey last night so being used on behalf of ATW in connection with Rugby International

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Fantastic to see two TOCs working together for the benefit of passengers! :D

class387

Established Member
A fantastic show of cooperation between TOCs to put the passenger first. More operators should learn from the sensibility displayed here.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I think I saw that unit a while ago in Gloucester and thought what a nice bright livery it had

dk1

Veteran Member
A fantastic show of cooperation between TOCs to put the passenger first. More operators should learn from the sensibility displayed here.

East Midlands & Greater Anglia do just the same on a permanent & ad-hoc basis.

Parallel

Established Member
I think I saw that unit a while ago in Gloucester and thought what a nice bright livery it had
Quite possibly - a 3-car 158 works the Great Malvern - Brighton train, as well as a Great Malvern - Weymouth one too (including the inbound workings) - This unit has also hosted 'Gunwharf Quays' livery too, in recent years.
---
Just looked at ATW's Journeycheck, looks like the Ebbw Vale trains were meant to be formed of 4 coaches. Just as well there was a spare GWR 158 around considering the chronic unit shortage of both operators.

D365

Veteran Member
EMT and VTEC likewise with both planned and unplanned resource hires.

To be fair, it helps that they share a majority owner, but they have been cooperating since DOR days.

causton

Established Member
East Midlands & Greater Anglia do just the same on a permanent & ad-hoc basis.

I know the EMT trains go East from Norwich on a GA service*, but have GA ever loaned one of their trains to EMT in a similar way? Would love to see a GA 156 going to Nottingham or further :lol:

*A long while back, I went to Brundall to get the EMT 158 and saw the train's previous working had involved a fatality. I thought 'damn, I've wasted a whole evening travelling out as they'll swap it for a normal GA train' but instead the 47 rake turned up! I was delighted :D

Edit: Thought it was 37s but it was actually 47s! Proof:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/0causton0/9089606126/in/album-72157630519179860/

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Scotrail 156s run as northern services with northern crews CAR-NCL. Also TPE crews from Scarborough work through Bridlington to HUL on northern 158s and TPE crews and units work northern services MIA-BPN.

Lockwood

I have picture somewhere of a First Transpennine Express 158 at Portsmouth on a Cardiff service

On Moderation
To be fair, it helps that they share a majority owner, but they have been cooperating since DOR days.
True, but these things are often harder within a group - Stagecoach management are very pleased with the way they are working together. It perhaps helps that the MD of one used to be MD of the other.

dk1

Veteran Member
EMT and VTEC likewise with both planned and unplanned resource hires.

More passengers dripping on Twitter yesterday that they can't use their FREE wifi codes as it's an EMs Tram. Then demanding a refund on their flipping train tickets. Cheek!! The clue is in the word FREE & the ticket gets you from A to B :rolleyes:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
More passengers dripping on Twitter yesterday that they can't use their FREE wifi codes as it's an EMs Tram. Then demanding a refund on their flipping train tickets. Cheek!! The clue is in the word FREE & the ticket gets you from A to B :rolleyes:

Well, this is a long distance HST. Surely it should have wifi even if it isn’t free, so what they should do is charge them to use the WiFi as if it was on an EMT route and then refund them later. That is far from unreasonable.

mrcheek

Established Member
I have picture somewhere of a First Transpennine Express 158 at Portsmouth on a Cardiff service

This was actually fairly common, as FGW took a whole batch of them from TPE when the 185s arrived, and it took a while to get the logos changed

dk1

Veteran Member
Well, this is a long distance HST. Surely it should have wifi even if it isn’t free, so what they should do is charge them to use the WiFi as if it was on an EMT route and then refund them later. That is far from unreasonable.

That all sounds very complicated.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The locals on the Ebbw Vale line wouldn't have really seen 158798 in it's odd colours as all trips were made in darkness

Kite159

Veteran Member

Although if someone based their purchase on the advertised claim of free WiFi being produced when you purchase direct with VTEC only to find they would have to pay would be a good case to bring under the consumer rights act of 2015.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TPE had some Central Trains 158s pre-185 introduction (the green goddesses we called them)

TPE were using LM 350s during the commonwealth games on anglo-scot diagrams.

The sharing of resources is suprisingly common, however personally I think more could be done. The industry is very slow to react to peaks and spikes in demand and too much focussed on a company doing their own bit rather than working together. This results in cancellations within one TOC while another has crews and units sitting spare or running ECS where a service could have been provided.

dk1

Veteran Member
Although if someone based their purchase on the advertised claim of free WiFi being produced when you purchase direct with VTEC only to find they would have to pay would be a good case to bring under the consumer rights act of 2015.

I am pretty certain it would be all covered in the 'subject to availability' in the terms & conditions in the same way food is complimentary in 1st class.

Harbornite

Established Member
Two examples of resource sharing that spring to mind are the regular usage of a SWR 158 by GWR and the recent WCML blockade, which saw a pair of Virgin super Voyagers being used by Crosscountry.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Pretty common to have GWR using SWT diesels (as well as the regular daily loan/loans, I think it’s currently 2 a day at the moment)

When engineering works go on between Salisbury and Bath, GWR usually get to play with a 159 which both members of crew enjoy because everything actually works!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Pretty common to have GWR using SWT diesels (as well as the regular daily loan/loans, I think it’s currently 2 a day at the moment)

When engineering works go on between Salisbury and Bath, GWR usually get to play with a 159 which both members of crew enjoy because everything actually works!

The 158 is an ongoing permanent loan initiated by DFT and has been going on for approx 6 years now.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
The 159 is an ongoing permanent loan initiated by DFT and has been going on for approx 6 years now.

There has been the ongoing 158 loan, but there has also been other times that extra units have been loaned which is what I was referring too, as I say, I believe currently the Lymington branch is 450 operated to free up a 2nd unit to GWR during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.