• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 158s Exeter and West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEW

Established Member
Used to be pretty common back at the start of the FGW franchise when there were a lot more 158s around. Used to get quite a few 158s to Exmouth/Paignton/Barnstaple.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Used to be pretty common back at the start of the FGW franchise when there were a lot more 158s around. Used to get quite a few 158s to Exmouth/Paignton/Barnstaple.

Indeed so, mostly rather a waste of a 158 I felt though. Devon Metro (Exmouth / Paignton) is rather suited to a 143 or 150. However, 158s would be suitable for the Axminster / Barnstaple leg if it ever get off of the ground later in the GW franchise or next.

Who knows, maybe they'll be a common sight again!:lol:

Bring on the wal....uh...cascade!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Indeed so, mostly rather a waste of a 158 I felt though. Devon Metro (Exmouth / Paignton) is rather suited to a 143 or 150. However, 158s would be suitable for the Axminster / Barnstaple leg if it ever get off of the ground later in the GW franchise or next.

What else could it have worked ? GWR have 2 x 2 Car 158s as well as the SWT one that all work trains suited to 150s. They can't work Cardiff to Portsmouths as they are 3 Car ones. After all, this SWT one had been to Weymouth earlier in the day.
Would you like them to be taken away and leave GWR 3 units short. In any case, this SWT hire one can only work services that allow it to get from Salisbury in the morning and back at night by attaching to SWT services.

fgwrich

Established Member

What else could it have worked ? GWR have 2 x 2 Car 158s as well as the SWT one that all work trains suited to 150s. They can't work Cardiff to Portsmouths as they are 3 Car ones. After all, this SWT one had been to Weymouth earlier in the day.
Would you like them to be taken away and leave GWR 3 units short. In any case, this SWT hire one can only work services that allow it to get from Salisbury in the morning and back at night by attaching to SWT services.

I'm going to have to re-quote my post I think! That maybe the case for the current GW operations, but I was actually referring to the situation at the start of the FGW franchise having taken over from Wessex Trains - Who utilised many of their 158s in the same way. I.e, 150s / 153s / 158s working the Devon Metro services as well as many others, with a fair few continuing on into the 2006 era of FGW When the ex TPE Units started to flood the the fleet before the withdrawl of many of the ex Wessex (and either Porterbrook or Angel) 158s.

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailwayPics/Diesel-Multiple-Units/Class-158/i-sTRf9kH

I.e.

richw

Veteran Member

Back when they used to work a 158 to Falmouth, was even more of a waste! I believe they were booked on Sunday's for the branch!

I recall around 2005-06 it must have been

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR 158s flooding out Exeter today

Due amended Bank Holiday amended working 1588881, the SWT hired in unit, worked the School kids diagram today, 1319 Bristol TM to Exeter St Davids. but without the school kids trip itself (on holiday) 1746 Exeter Cen to Paignton and 1852 Paignton to Bristol TM. Also 158953 on 2C67 0800 Cardiff Cen to Paignton.

Not a 158 today, but the Paignton bits are likely to be overcrowded today. It's a 153 !!!

Rapidash

Not a 158 today, but the Paignton bits are likely to be overcrowded today. It's a 153 !!!

Guess which mug was planning to go home on that?!

Me thinks I'll get the 1812 xc service instead!q

Edit: Full and standing out of exd. Considering its the mop up service, I think there might need to be a bucket service as well:lol: In fairness it's normally a 150/1. Guess something is borked.

Last edited:

Rob F

Not cleared

153s regularly visit so it is not a restriction on 23m stock. So even though both 153s and 158s have the C3 restriction marked on them each class needs individual clearance, is that correct?

ROB

Rich McLean

Established Member
153s regularly visit so it is not a restriction on 23m stock. So even though both 153s and 158s have the C3 restriction marked on them each class needs individual clearance, is that correct?

ROB

Correct, as there can be other factors which affect where units are cleared. Prime example is 155s are cleared in places where 153s are not

richw

Veteran Member

ROB

I believe there are some locations where a single 153 may operate, but not a pair of 153s. Liskeard to Looe branch being one that I've heard to be the case,

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Correct, as there can be other factors which affect where units are cleared. Prime example is 155s are cleared in places where 153s are not

East of Southampton for one route which has been discussed at length. Due to steps of small cab being out of gauge.

fgwrich

Established Member
I believe there are some locations where a single 153 may operate, but not a pair of 153s. Liskeard to Looe branch being one that I've heard to be the case,

And Gunnislake as well. It can take 1 x 23m car or 2 x 20m cars but can't take anymore than that. It's one of the reasons why when it was first created, the original 153399 was numbered into the 153 series than 150, to prevent it from ending up on branchline like this.

richw

Veteran Member
And Gunnislake as well. It can take 1 x 23m car or 2 x 20m cars but can't take anymore than that. It's one of the reasons why when it was first created, the original 153399 was numbered into the 153 series than 150, to prevent it from ending up on branchline like this.

What is the reason for this?

I imagine 2 x23m is too long for some of the platforms, as a 2 X 20m which don't have end doors, all doors are only just platformed. But then local door would need using if any longer trains were used. That's from unqualified observations having joined the 150 at Sandplace, st keyne and Coombe Junction in recent weeks. I'm guessing there are more technical issues though?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What is the reason for this?

I imagine 2 x23m is too long for some of the platforms, as a 2 X 20m which don't have end doors, all doors are only just platformed. But then local door would need using if any longer trains were used. That's from unqualified observations having joined the 150 at Sandplace, st keyne and Coombe Junction in recent weeks. I'm guessing there are more technical issues though?

I believe it is to do with curvature of the line and the ability of the 2 converted ones (from 155) to operate without getting "dogknotted" with each other. In the event of a failure of a single 153 on these routes they cannot be coupled to anything else in the normal manner but would require fitter's attendance to deal with the issue. How I'm particularly aware of it is that I was personally involved in their diagramming when they first went to the Cornish Branches.
Suggest any further posts re 153s are posted on 153 Discussion thread which is currently active as this topic is re 158s. Here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=134987

richw

Veteran Member
I believe it is to do with curvature of the line and the ability of the 2 converted ones (from 155) to operate without getting "dogknotted" with each other. In the event of a failure of a single 153 on these routes they cannot be coupled to anything else in the normal manner but would require fitter's attendance to deal with the issue. How I'm particularly aware of it is that I was personally involved in their diagramming when they first went to the Cornish Branches.
Suggest any further posts re 153s are posted on 153 Discussion thread which is currently active as this topic is re 158s. Here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=134987

That explains why a 153 which broke down of a last evening service recently was still broken down the following morning. I thought strange at the moment. Agree it needs putting to the 153 discussion, but my reply wouldn't have worked over there without yours, maybe one for the mods to sort out!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That explains why a 153 which broke down of a last evening service recently was still broken down the following morning. I thought strange at the moment. Agree it needs putting to the 153 discussion, but my reply wouldn't have worked over there without yours, maybe one for the mods to sort out!

I have alerted the Mods with the Report Button

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
143618 today worked 2U20 1248 Paignton to Cardiff from Exeter to Bristol, the train starting Exeter St.Davids due to an earlier failure. Fresh unit froward to Cardiff. 143618 returning attached to 150 on 2156 Bristol TM to Exeter St Davids.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Must be the first 158 at Plymouth for quite a while, although have been getting to Paignton on not infrequent occasions recently. FGW 158763 today worked 2P93 1550 Exeter to Plymouth and 2E46 1735 return, a booked 153 duty. It worked down on 1C45 1319 Bristol TM to Exeter which normally finishes up working 1852 Paignton to Bristol TM which they do on an odd occasion substituting for a 150.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 153 worked as the strengthening unit to Paignton on the schoolkids train which 763 should have worked until realised it was carrying a Non-Mult sticker on the wrong end for attachment. Have also learnt this was the second recent occasion that a 158 has worked this service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Unusual working on the afternoon Paignton school train today which, as has been stated previously, is booked 2x143 ahd a 150 attached just for the legs from Exeter to Paignton and return. Only 1 x143 available but fortunately, the 150 happened to come in the guise of 158960 so 5 Cars lieu of 6 rather than just 4 to mitigate the capacity.

Parallel

Established Member
Unusual working on the afternoon Paignton school train today which, as has been stated previously, is booked 2x143 ahd a 150 attached just for the legs from Exeter to Paignton and return. Only 1 x143 available but fortunately, the 150 happened to come in the guise of 158960 so 5 Cars lieu of 6 rather than just 4 to mitigate the capacity.

Also very rare to see 143s working with 158s in GWR territory!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just saw the 158 as I drove past Exeter St David's, I haven't seen one in blue down here for a long time. Was going to ask what it was doing when I saw this thread :)

superalbs

Established Member
158950 and 158959 both down in Devon today, and keep your eyes peeled, there's more where that came from. :)

Parallel

Established Member
158950 and 158959 both down in Devon today, and keep your eyes peeled, there's more where that came from. :)

The Cardiff - Portsmouth service has been appalling today with delays and cancellations, many seem to be attributed to train failures and signalling faults.

Why have these two 158s been sent to Exeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.