• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 158s Exeter and West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Cardiff - Portsmouth service has been appalling today with delays and cancellations, many seem to be attributed to train failures and signalling faults.

Why have these two 158s been sent to Exeter?

Because they both worked trains down there earlier and nothing else in the right place to work them. The one on the 0759 Cardiff to Paignton would have been back up during afternoon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The Cardiff - Portsmouth service has been appalling today with delays and cancellations, many seem to be attributed to train failures and signalling faults.
The one I was on was supposedly cancelled due to air-con failure (and dumped in a siding at Westbury), despite the fact many other 158s were running with their windows open too. I did hear some announcements blaming delays to other services on 'signalling problems' but quite what these were I don't know (I think I read somewhere that 'signalling problems' includes point failures). Alot of slow running on what should be much faster stretches of track was also experienced, whether due to temporary speed restrictions, the 'orange army' fixing things or running on yellow signals due to everything being in the wrong place for the timetable I don't know. There was also a PAD-Swansea service announced as running an hour late due to adverse weather between Paddington and Reading.

GWR was in such a mess yesterday that I wonder whether they haved declared it a void day to save a big dent in the PPM stats.

TEW

Established Member
Is this service usually 2 x 150? Journey check has it down as a short form

It's complicated, booked as follows.
150+153 Paignton-Exeter St Davids
150 Exeter St Davids-Bristol Temple Meads
150+150 Bristol Temple Meads-Cardiff Central

83G/84D

Established Member
Are there traction knowledge problems when 158s get on the local Devon services?

This has been discussed before I recall. AFAIK it used to be the case that most but not all Exeter drivers signed 158's but not any Plymouth drivers. This may have changed as drivers move to and fro depot's.

Then there are the conductors, of which I am unsure.

Not sure without checking if there are any restrictions on the type operating any Devon branches.

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
This has been discussed before I recall. AFAIK it used to be the case that most but not all Exeter drivers signed 158's but not any Plymouth drivers. This may have changed as drivers move to and fro depot's.

Then there are the conductors, of which I am unsure.

Not sure without checking if there are any restrictions on the type operating any Devon branches.
I'm fairly sure they're OK on all the Devon branches, but like you I was unsure of the current position with traction knowledge.

Parallel

Established Member
The 158s seem to get to Paignton fairly frequently as of late. Last year one ended up on the Exmouth branch. I'm not sure the last time one got to Barnstaple.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
Exeter (West) crew should generally be good for 158s; I don't think its core traction though.

Plymouth is a HSS Depot so not sure where they enter into the equation - some Plymouth drivers do sign 150/153 traction for the Gunnislake and Newquay branches though.

Par, and Penzance (West) depots don't sign 158s. As such you'd be limited to top link Exeter (West) drivers to work 158s into Cornwall.

I was under the impression Paignton was a daily trip for 158s.

Gloucester; Bristol (West); Westbury; Fratton and Weymouth crew are all good for 158s; but they won't get you West of Exeter.

TEW

Established Member

158s were regulars on the 'Devon Metro' at the start of the FGW franchise in 2006, working trains to Barnstaple, Exmouth and Paignton. Further West they're not cleared for the Gunnislake, Looe and Newquay branches, and prohibited from the bay platform at St Erth which effectively rules them out for the St Ives branch. During the same period the Falmouth branch was regularly worked by 158s too.

83G/84D

Established Member
Class 158's are passed Par to St Blazey and used to work onto St Blazey depot for servicing in the Wales & West or Wessex days so used to be signed by Par and Penzance crews.
Penzance also signed 159's for the "down in Saturday " and "back on Sunday " working.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Exeter (West) crew should generally be good for 158s; I don't think its core traction though.

Plymouth is a HSS Depot so not sure where they enter into the equation - some Plymouth drivers do sign 150/153 traction for the Gunnislake and Newquay branches though.

Par, and Penzance (West) depots don't sign 158s. As such you'd be limited to top link Exeter (West) drivers to work 158s into Cornwall.

Gloucester; Bristol (West); Westbury; Fratton and Weymouth crew are all good for 158s; but they won't get you West of Exeter.

I didn't think they were any GWR drivers at Weymouth, only Conductors.
ATW Cardiff also work on GWR 158s as have work to Bristol through some inter TOC agreement. Exeter (West) drivers have regular work in the Bristol area on 158s.

Mintona

Established Member

Gloucester; Bristol (West); Westbury; Fratton and Weymouth crew are all good for 158s; but they won't get you West of Exeter*.

*Taunton

JN114

Established Member
ATW Cardiff also work on GWR 158s as have work to Bristol through some inter TOC agreement. Exeter (West) drivers have regular work in the Bristol area on 158s.

I didn't say there was - I said Weymouth Crew.

I thought some Bristol crew signed Exeter; but it could be the oh-so-versatile Bristol HSS crews that sign sprinters....

Parallel

Established Member
I didn't say there was - I said Weymouth Crew.

I thought some Bristol crew signed Exeter; but it could be the oh-so-versatile Bristol HSS crews that sign sprinters....

Which crews sign the FO Westbury - Exeter train? Last year a pacer ended up on it so Exeter must do, but can Bristol or Westbury?

fgwrich

Established Member
158s were regulars on the 'Devon Metro' at the start of the FGW franchise in 2006, working trains to Barnstaple, Exmouth and Paignton. Further West they're not cleared for the Gunnislake, Looe and Newquay branches, and prohibited from the bay platform at St Erth which effectively rules them out for the St Ives branch. During the same period the Falmouth branch was regularly worked by 158s too.

Indeed so. A little wasteful for a 158 - By then the Barnstaple branch was in a state and the timetable poor, Exmouth and Paignton legs on the Devon Metro were just wasteful for the units pure and simple - not least with their slow opening doors and long length. Swapping those (admittedly by necessity than common sense) for 150s and 143s was a far better idea by FGW.

JN114

Established Member
Which crews sign the FO Westbury - Exeter train? Last year a pacer ended up on it so Exeter must do, but can Bristol or Westbury?

It's booked Exeter HSS Driver and Train Manager; so usually comes from the pool of Exeter HSS crew that sign sprinter traction.

As to whom else signs it - I believe Westbury, Weymouth and Bristol crew all have knowledge that way - certainly never had much difficulty finding a crew to divert that way if major disruption via Bath. Don't think it's "core" route for aforementioned Depots though. My day-to-day professional interest ends at Bedwyn, my West Country ops knowledge only extends to bare minimum to cover West Country desk if required.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
What stops a 158 going on Newquay branch, given it is used by HST and Voyager?

Great_Western

Hate to be going slightly off topic, boes that mean, say if a Portsmouth or Taunton service were to be terminated at Bristol and ATW had spare stock, could they operate a replacement down to Bristol?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What stops a 158 going on Newquay branch, given it is used by HST and Voyager?

Different units have different features which means some part of a 158 could foul platforms, especially on curves, whereas HSTs and Voyagers may not. A typical example is on the Cumbrian Coast line where LHCS, Class 156 and Class 153 are within gauge but a 150 cannot go through Maryport tunnel.

superalbs

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

superalbs

Established Member
158763 supposedly on the following vice 150, according to a Facebook Group.

2T23 1643 St James' Park to Paignton
2F51 1752 Paignton to Exmouth
2E52 1941 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids

Must be the first 158 to Exmouth for a very long time if it runs.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
158763 supposedly on the following vice 150, according to a Facebook Group.

2T23 1643 St James' Park to Paignton
2F51 1752 Paignton to Exmouth
2E52 1941 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids

Must be the first 158 to Exmouth for a very long time if it runs.

The last time I travelled down to Exmouth it was onboard a class 158, then again from memory it was the summer of 2001!

Bishopstone

Established Member
The last time I travelled down to Exmouth it was onboard a class 158, then again from memory it was the summer of 2001!

The last time I had a 158 from Exmouth, the train’s destination was Carmarthen and I did the whole trip. 1995, I think, and I believe it was the first morning departure from Exmouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.