• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 165128 extra carriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWRjake

This afternoon I travelled from Cholsey to Reading on 165128. However it was formed of 3 carriages rather than the usual 2, with the middle being formed of another carriage in the new blue livery. What's up here and does it have anything to do with the single 166 end carriage (new blue livery) currently in Reading sidings?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
It has a carriage from the 166 that set on fire. I think it's from 166209.

fgwrich

Established Member
It has a carriage from the 166 that set on fire. I think it's from 166209.

Correct. 166209 is currently in bits, with one of it's driving vehicles in Reading Depot at the moment, the centre coach is within 165128, the other driving coach - the one which did catch fire is presumably at Wolverton at the moment.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I saw that 166 on the way back from Cardiff on Mon. Out of interest is there any way it can move on its own or must be shunted?

Nippy

Should be ok on its own. I've turned a single chiltern 165 coach on the triangle at Greenford before.

JN114

Established Member
I saw that 166 on the way back from Cardiff on Mon. Out of interest is there any way it can move on its own or must be shunted?

There's no technical reason a driving vehicle can't operate singly - operationally it's a pain as there's only a driving cab at one end, but unlike more modern units there aren't any computers to throw a strop when it realises the train isn't correctly formed etc etc...

Intermediate 165/166 vehicles have no driving controls, and thus need to be shunted around by another 165/166.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I was wondering where the compressor was- in say a 2 car 466 there is only one. Presumably all that is needed is in each driving car on a 165/6

coxy

Hi,

I was travelling past Reading yesterday afternoon, and saw both the 3 car 165128 and the remaining driving car from 166209 parked up in the depot.

Presumably the driving car that caught fire is still being repaired - does anybody know if a completion date has been set ?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Excellent news, I bet GW are happy that its back

Hopefully it will re-enter service soon :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.