• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 1C95 19 03 Paddington to Penzance 21/10 TM unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That should do the trick. But personally, I don't really care about the inconvenience. Far too often I have seen passengers who could assist sit there like big softies pretending they haven't seen, heard, or witnessed anything.

The law does not encourage vigilante justice. While I would act as a witness, I would be unlikely to get involved in an altercation; I would however telephone the Police and not ignore it.

The railway and its management are responsible for adequate protection against attack. Not the passengers, who, as I said, are victims.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Some years ago I went to the aid of a railway employee being assaulted.

I was arrested and held in a police cell, then bailed for a later court appearance. Although I was Acquitted, this cost me time off work, money for fares and legal expenses, and also caused a lot of trouble with my then employers who regarded a court appearance for "violent crime" as being almost the same as a conviction.

The magistrates give the impression that I was "lucky to get away with it" rather than being innocent.
Neither the railway employee who was being assaulted, nor their employers offered any assistance in court.

I doubt that I would bother if in a similar situation again.

And a few years ago I witnessed an incident on a Southeastern train where a guard was allegedly assaulted, cut a long story short I gave a statement to BTP and subsequently no action was taken against the alleged assailant, I also made a complaint to Southeastern about the conduct of the guard. Obviously I have no idea what happened in this incident but it is best not to jump to conclusions until you've heard the full story.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Firstly I hope the T/M is not too badly injured. Secondly it will have been run ECS as they could not just abandon the set there and at that time of day I doubt there is any way to resource a new T/M with the requisite knowledge to take a HST from Reading to the South West. The T/M involved will be in no state to work the train.

Now I wonder if this will maybe make GWR take a hard look at that service and either remove Reading entirely from it or come down like a ton of bricks on those who abuse the Pick Up only stop.

Realistically what can be done about people who get off this train at Reading?

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
What has Reading as an illicit destination got to do with it? Again, was it a Reading passenger who abused the TM?

The train is pick up only at Reading and presumably the stop isn't advertised at Paddington although it appears many Reading passengers got on anyway knowing that it would stop there.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
A number of "learning points" from this incident.

First, GWR need to revisit their contingency planning for this sort of situation. I would suggest the apparent lack of useful information for passengers largely stemmed from the lack of a prepared suitable response being available to Control at the time of the incident. Could this be a First Group failing, given the lack of suitable contingency that was exposed by the Kentish Town incident on FCC?

Second, and somewhat related to the first, this gives an indication of how badly things can go wrong when staffing levels are kept close to the minimum required just to provide basic coverage. More and more we find ourselves on this forum talking about the reluctance of TOCs to have strategically placed spare traincrew with the standard counter-argument being about the folly of paying people to sit doing nothing. I wonder how the several hundred people inconvenienced by this incident would respond to such a discussion. Assaults on staff are thankfully quite rare but this shows just how they can soon create significant knock-on effects.

Thirdly, a number of posters have recalled how such situations were pre-empted in BR days. Some of the measures used "back in the day" would appear to still have merit today. What no-one has yet queried is whether any Advances were available for this train. It is easy to say that to prevent the sale of cheaper tickets at times of high demand for family travel is somehow a rip-off but the reality is that such tickets should only be sold as a way of filling unused capacity. October half-term is the busiest time of the year for purely domestic travel and I would hope that many long-distance trains would have zero quotas for Advances this week.

broadgage

Yes, but was that related to the assault? I'm not sure anyone has actually said it was?

AFAIK there has been no statement that the assault was by a Reading passenger.
It is however an observed fact that many Reading passengers use trains that they should not, and that this misuse adds to the already severe overcrowding.

If Reading passengers were actually kept off trains advertised as pick up only at Reading, then less overcrowding would result.

We know not what caused the assault, nor how serious it was, but overcrowding may have been a factor, it certainly results in short tempers.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Let's have a think here....

A TM gets assaulted - perhaps he was dealing with a Reading passenger who shouldn't have been on the train? Whatever happened I do hope the TM makes a speedy recovery.

Clearly the current operating procedures dictate that the train cannot run in passenger service without a TM so it has to come out of service at Reading. At this point passengers are disgruntled and want to know what's happening and what alternative services are being arranged. To be fair to GWR control at the point the train is taken out of service they won't know this! As it happens they managed to run an additional service into Cornwall but this would have taken a little bit of time to arrange - a check that there was a train available with sufficient fuel, could a driver and guard be arranged etc.

It's also worth pointing out - and apologies if this is inflammatory - but if GWR get their way with the operating procedures for the new Class 800 trains then it would be able to continue without a TM.

causton

Established Member
The main problem is that nobody can give out information they do not know to be true... that is called lying ( ;) ) - if the train has just been taken out of service, there is the guarantee the TOC will get them to their destination or put them up overnight, but unfortunately until they get there, nothing is definite! I don't think they could immediately say "Yes, go to Plymouth we will run an extra train" or if they said "Go to Plymouth but it could be a bus from there" people could be angered for no reason. I'm sure they were told to keep on making their way further south west as far as they could (e.g. Plymouth) and then that gives Control some time to finalise plans by the time they get there, rather than promising things that won't happen or worrying people by saying things will happen when they won't.

Antman

Established Member
Yes, but was that related to the assault? I'm not sure anyone has actually said it was?

Quite possibly not but passengers alighting at Reading when they shouldn't be will have obviously contributed to the overcrowding.

tsr

Established Member
Inevitably, when a very busy train gets held [with doors released] at a station, people tend to spill out onto the platforms, wander off looking for staff (of which they could find someone useful, like a dispatcher with an awareness of current train/replacement transport movements, or someone who isn't, like a member of ticket office staff just going home at the end of their shift).

Synchronising all the information between locations, including on an HST over which a station CIS team has no control, would be hard enough when the delay is due to external factors outside the team on the ground. Add in the fact that the crucial person responsible for passing on operational information on the train has just been assaulted, and you will doubtless find that messages unfortunately do not get passed on.

It may well have been that a TOC Control contingency plan was being put in place immediately. I can't imagine cancellation of this train is 100% unheard of, so I'm sure there is at least a basic tried-and-tested plan. However, you can do all you want to put it on CIS screens and sending it to staff mobiles, but you're probably not going to satisfy anyone. And there's no easy solution to this. I know the information given seems to have been fairly basic, but sometimes it just dissolves into very little useful detail simply on the basis of the "entropy" of a situation. I certainly never endorse a lack of customer travel advice but awkward things can happen to it! And remember this is a two-dimensional, post-incident webpage where we are basically deconstructing the event without being in the whirling flurry of multitasking, phone calls, fielding questions left-right-and-centre, and dealing with a fellow member of staff who was no doubt injured, seriously upset/annoyed, or both. This is what the staff on a busy evening peak at a major station would have been going through.

D1009

Established Member
Looking at RTT, 1C95 arrived at Reading at 1943, and the set sat there for an hour, and didn't depart until after 1C96 had left. That suggests to me that efforts were being made to find a way to find another guard to run the train forward. Until it was established that this was not possible, it would be very difficult to give passengers the information they wanted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You say a small proportion but in my experience that is still at least 150 on a Friday.
Which probably includes quite a few returning from a night out in Plymouth.

rebmcr

Established Member
What has Reading as an illicit destination got to do with it? Again, was it a Reading passenger who abused the TM?

The train is pick up only at Reading and presumably the stop isn't advertised at Paddington although it appears many Reading passengers got on anyway knowing that it would stop there.

Quite possibly not but passengers alighting at Reading when they shouldn't be will have obviously contributed to the overcrowding.

Nobody said that overcrowding had anything to do with it either. There is a whole lot of waffle about basically no information, in this thread.

craigybagel

Established Member
It's also worth pointing out - and apologies if this is inflammatory - but if GWR get their way with the operating procedures for the new Class 800 trains then it would be able to continue without a TM.

FWIW the original plan for DOO when no TM was available which caused some consternation last year was only for the current DOO area, so it would only have been able to go as far as Bedwyn in this case, and not all the way to Plymouth.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The main problem is that nobody can give out information they do not know to be true... that is called lying ( ;) ) - if the train has just been taken out of service, there is the guarantee the TOC will get them to their destination or put them up overnight, but unfortunately until they get there, nothing is definite! I don't think they could immediately say "Yes, go to Plymouth we will run an extra train" or if they said "Go to Plymouth but it could be a bus from there" people could be angered for no reason. I'm sure they were told to keep on making their way further south west as far as they could (e.g. Plymouth) and then that gives Control some time to finalise plans by the time they get there, rather than promising things that won't happen or worrying people by saying things will happen when they won't.

They don't need to lie.

A simple message assuring customers that staff are trying their best to make sure that they would reach their destination, or be placed in overnight accommodation, would go a long way towards diffusing a situation like this, even if exact details are still being formulated.

philthetube

Established Member
A hit squad on a few trains out of Paddington excessing Reading passengers would soon make a difference to numbers abusing the system, and no doubt pay for itself in the process. Even if not relevant in this case overcrowding does increase tension on trains.

Antman

Established Member
Nobody said that overcrowding had anything to do with it either. There is a whole lot of waffle about basically no information, in this thread.

The waffle has come from you, nobody knows unless they were there. It was more about what lead to the overcrowding.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
A hit squad on a few trains out of Paddington excessing Reading passengers would soon make a difference to numbers abusing the system, and no doubt pay for itself in the process. Even if not relevant in this case overcrowding does increase tension on trains.

It's not clear that the NRCoT provides a right for passengers to be excessed for alighting at a pick up only stop.

Antman

Established Member
It's not clear that the NRCoT provides a right for passengers to be excessed for alighting at a pick up only stop.

I can't see how they can be excessed if they have a valid ticket from Paddington to Reading and that's the journey that they've made?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hope the Train Manager is OK!
Agreed; instead GWR should occasionally run non-stop through Reading (this did happen once on the 1915 to Swansea) and arrange an alternative for passengers boarding at Reading. Doesn't need to be done often for the message to get through.
Before this turns into yet another 'let's not stop expresses at the second biggest interchange station in the UK after Birmingham New Street' thread, perhaps we might wait until the circumstances are known. .
We don't know the full circumstances, but the reason "overcrowding" has been given in rail industry systems, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that skipping Reading entirely may reduce the possibility of problems that may cause the train to be cancelled or delayed, and in my experience it is pointless trying to call at Reading on the first off peak trains to certain destinations out of Paddington on a Friday when schools break up, because there's no room for anyone extra to board anyway!

We will never get consensus on this matter, but some trains run non-stop from London to York, Leicester, Warrington, Ipswich etc on other main lines out of London. Some trains even skip Clapham Junction, which is an even more important interchange station than Reading.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I hope the Train Manager is OK!

Agreed; instead GWR should occasionally run non-stop through Reading (this did happen once on the 1915 to Swansea) and arrange an alternative for passengers boarding at Reading. Doesn't need to be done often for the message to get through.

We don't know the circumstances, but the reason "overcrowding" has been given in rail industry systems, and in my experience it is pointless trying to call at Reading on the first off peak trains to certain destinations out of Paddington on a Friday when schools break up, because there's no room for anyone extra to board anyway!

It's a difficult one. I expect the fail to call would be looked upon badly by the DfT for its cynicism, and I expect there would be a financial penalty for the fail to call.

It is tough to police the pick up only brigade. Virgin do it okay at Euston with barrier checks (I used to appreciate being allowed to sneak on with my pass bound for MKC though!).

Policing this is probably some way down the priority list though I've never used the train in question.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a difficult one. I expect the fail to call would be looked upon badly by the DfT for its cynicism, and I expect there would be a financial penalty for the fail to call.
If the DfT prefer this...
...I was on a crush-loaded 1915 Paddington-Swansea on a Friday. There was no room for anyone to board at Reading. We were well over an hour late into Llanshamlet as a result of losing our path, and thus the last connection from Swansea. The company were warned there'd be no room for anyone to board at Reading. But they made it stop there anyway.
...to a more orderly planned cancellation, and the trains being on time, and less conflict, then they are daft.

jimm

Established Member
In B.R. days there were ticket checks at the barriers on a Friday to ensure that no passengers holding Reading tickets boarded Friday late afternoon/evening trains that were pick-up only at Reading. If any escaped on to the train they were charged a single fare to the next advertised set down point. Posters were prominently displayed everywhere. Trains were carefully platformed to ensure that no such train were - if possible - put into P1/8/9. All FGW have to do is the same. I wouldn't involve a penalty fare scheme though, that's really asking for trouble.

Without building lots of extra gates and fences the length of every platform to make each one a segregated zone (or providing a small army of staff to stand at each door checking tickets manually), you can't actually do this at Paddington as it is currently laid out.

The A and B sets of barrier line gates give access to all of platforms 2,3,4 and 5. The footbridge gives access to pairs of platforms - unless you are proposing creating logjams of passengers on a narrow bridge or at the foot of a narrow set of steps while you weed out those bound for Reading - which looks like a potential safety hazard to me.

Where does it 'appear' that was the case? I have seen nothing suggesting it.

West Country (and South Wales) trains are almost invariably packed to the doors on a Friday evening at any time of the year with passengers going to the West Country (and South Wales) - and Newbury passengers, given that West Country expresses currently provide most of the evening peak fast services from London to Newbury.

The Fridays-only 19.12 to Bristol (previously ran as a first-stop Reading fast Turbo to Oxford) is provided specifically because of the pick-up only rules at Reading for the 19.03 and 19.15 Swansea and I'm sure most Reading commuters have actually worked this out by now and understand it is a rather better bet for getting a seat, never mind any restrictions on their tickets on the other services.

I don't doubt there will always be a few people chancing it on the 19.03 and 19.15 on Fridays for the sake of getting back to Reading a few minutes earlier, but I doubt the numbers are such that they are worth the expensive/and or draconian measures that some people posting on here seem so enamoured with.

You are joking, aren't you? Do you ever travel between Reading and Paddington in the peaks on an HST? Your hit squad might have fought its way through a couple of coaches by the time the train got to Reading if they were lucky.

And this alternative would be what exactly? The non-existent spare HST sat at Old Oak Common during the Friday peak? A bus? Or 'get on the next train, we're tackling the fearsome beasts known as Reading commuters tonight' - which will also arrive at Reading full to the doors...

How is the message supposed to get through to a Reading commuter who wasn't on the train the night it sailed through their stop?

We don't know the full circumstances, but the reason "overcrowding" has been given in rail industry systems, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that skipping Reading entirely may reduce the possibility of problems that may cause the train to be cancelled or delayed, and in my experience it is pointless trying to call at Reading on the first off peak trains to certain destinations out of Paddington on a Friday when schools break up, because there's no room for anyone extra to board anyway!

People assault other people in all sorts of circumstances for all sorts of reasons - and Friday's events were fundamentally down to the assault, not overcrowding, as that state of affairs would be a given on that train anyway, whether or not it stopped at Reading.

Or we could just hang on a couple of years - which we will have to do anyway, as the first batches of new stock arriving with GWR are basically going to be replacing existing stock - when all the new rolling stock is in place and GWR can restructure the timetable to try to better cater for the various flows. As things stand, without all the HSTs that call at Reading, GWR simply would not be able to handle the London commuter traffic there.

We will never get consensus on this matter, but some trains run non-stop from London to York, Leicester, Warrington, Ipswich etc on other main lines out of London. Some trains even skip Clapham Junction, which is an even more important interchange station than Reading.

No we probably won't - but no other main line out of London has a station just 25 minutes down the line that is both a major commuting hub, a key interchange station for the national network and where the core route effectively fans out in three directions (as most Oxford/Cotswold Line fasts bypass Didcot) - all of which poses a unique set of challenges.

As you well know, Clapham Junction is a key interchange in London, so a completely different kettle of fish from Reading.

Last edited:

BigVince76

I have taken this train often and it can be very busy, especially during school holidays. Although you often see a few Reading passengers there are not that many, the train is often standing room only to Exeter. One of the reasons I find myself on this train is not only is it an off peak service but you can often get cheap advances on it. I do find it crazy that GWR don't cut the number of advance tickets on this service. I'm glad I wasn't on it this week as being dumped at Reading would not have been fun, however I hope the Guard on the train is OK.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There has been a mention on here, but some months ago the 1915 Paddington to Swansea one Friday was so full that it was decided it couldn.t pick up at Reading so flew straight through. I don't know if the Reading "trespassers" were put off travelling on it or not for future , but they finished up at Swindon :(:(

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Reported on WNXX Forum that Train Manager was not in fact assaulted. Poster was shocked to hear of actual reason but said no more so seems to be something very sensitive. Let's please avoid any speculation

Class 170101

Established Member
The Fridays-only 19.12 to Bristol (previously ran as a first-stop Reading fast Turbo to Oxford) is provided specifically because of the pick-up only rules at Reading for the 19.03 and 19.15 Swansea and I'm sure most Reading commuters have actually worked this out by now and understand it is a rather better bet for getting a seat, never mind any restrictions on their tickets on the other services.

I don't doubt there will always be a few people chancing it on the 19.03 and 19.15 on Fridays for the sake of getting back to Reading a few minutes earlier, but I doubt the numbers are such that they are worth the expensive/and or draconian measures that some people posting on here seem so enamoured with.

I very much doubt passengers will travel on the 19:12 to Oxford as I doubt it has a buffet bar, 2+2 seating and a buffet.
Of course now its the 19:12 to Bristol Temple Meads.

However would it not be better to either make the 19:03 pick up at Reading all week rather than just on Friday so that commuters who are creatures of habit change their pattersn all week and not just on Fridays. Never mind the higher risk (I would have thought) of drink fuelled workers on Fridays compared to the rest of the week.

Or Secondly make the 19:03 go to Bristol Parkway on Fridays and the current 19:03 depart at 19:12 instead?

Andrewlong

So Monday to Friday - those travelling from Paddington to Reading (who have shelled out not insignificant sums) can legitimately on all services but on Friday become 'trespassers' because FGW cannot cope with additional demand from holidaymakers and those wanting to go away for the weekend and so ration access.

Even if FGW took out Reading stops on way 1903 and 1915, there will still be passengers using Reading as a hub who will want to go to Penzance or Bristol. Shuttle service to next station or does FGW go all London-centric and ignore those wanting to travel from Reading?

Richard_B

As soon as the train is declared full and standing it shouldn't stop at Reading imo. Roll through the platforms at 5mph. If a Reading commuter is on it, and hence has to go to Newbury and come back, it's their own fault for being on a train they shouldn't have been. It's not like after Reading the next is Taunton or Exeter like on some of the WoE services :)

If you were trying to get on at Reading anyway, it was full and standing so you shouldn't be able to catch it so the fact you still can't catch it hasn't changed anything. If you travelling west of Taunton you can either wait for the next Berks and Hants line service or if the train has space go via the next Bristol train and change onto XC.

Status
Not open for further replies.