• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR (and other TOC) Named Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
According to some random snippet I stumbled upon online, Grand Central have (or at least, had) two named trains. The Zephyr from Sunderland and The 21st Century Limited from London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Condor7

According to some random snippet I stumbled upon online, Grand Central have (or at least, had) two named trains. The Zephyr from Sunderland and The 21st Century Limited from London.

As far as I am aware The Zephyr refers to the fleet of class 180 trains used by Grand Central not to specific ‘named trains’. The 21Century Limited was limited to a named train which only ran in 2010.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware The Zephyr refers to the fleet of class 180 trains used by Grand Central not to specific ‘named trains’. The 21Century Limited was limited to a named train which only ran in 2010.

Zephyr was also one of GC's named services. The 21st Century Limited was a King's X-Sunderland working and the Zephyr a corresponding southbound working.

Latterly Carriage destination label wise the services that were named were:-

North Eastern -- London Kings Cross -- Sunderland and Rtn
West Riding -- London Kings Cross -- Bradford Interchange and Rtn

route101

Established Member
There was the Royal Scot with VTWC . Dont think a named train goes with a class 390

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There was the Royal Scot with VTWC . Dont think a named train goes with a class 390

I'm sure I read that Virgin kept some names into the Pendolino-era and they would sometimes appear on screens.

I don't think names trains really fit VTWC's modernist image somehow.

route101

Established Member
I'm sure I read that Virgin kept some names into the Pendolino-era and they would sometimes appear on screens.

Yeah , it was marked in the timetables , i think it was the 935am to London .

HowardGWR

Established Member

I'm trying to take in this concept, given the destinations.

The Elsie Tanner Special? The Rab C Nesbitt Express?<D

reddragon

Established Member
I think that ‘The Cornishman’ originally was a Cross Country service between Cornwall & the north. The ‘named trains’ have historically been certain services - usually the fastest trains linking certain cities/regions. For example, ‘The Capitals United’ is I think the fastest train between Cardiff & London and applies to this service - which runs non-stop from Swindon to London:>
The Cornishman was actually originally a GWR service from Wolverhampton via Snow Hill, Stratford upon Avon, Honeybourne & Cheltenham to Cornwall

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks for the clarification ‘red dragon’.

Readers might be interested to see how these named expresses had their own branded restaurant menus back in the 1960’s.

PCE COVER.JPG 1960'S RESTAURANT CAR TARIFF.JPG PCE TARIFF.JPG RED DRAGON COVER.JPG WINE LIST.JPG

pt_mad

Established Member

Shame the Royal Scots was gotten rid of. They could have named a Pendolino itself The Royal Scot in tribute to the old named working .that would have fit with their modern style and paid tribute to the history.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
The Cornishman was actually originally a GWR service from Wolverhampton via Snow Hill, Stratford upon Avon, Honeybourne & Cheltenham to Cornwall
It took the Midland route between Gloucester and Bristol with the unusual sight of a Castle loco, with chocolate and cream coaches, at Gloucester Eastgate and Mangotsfield.

Geoff DC

There used to be a 'Cornish Scot' around 0900 Edinburgh / Penzance
All the way through Scotland it was announced as the 'Cornish Scot' - once across the border into England it was announced purely by its departure time & not by name.
At Plymouth before crossing the border out of England into Cornwall it once again became the 'Cornish Scot' & for the rest of the journey.
Never understood that :rolleyes:

Condor7

There used to be a 'Cornish Scot' around 0900 Edinburgh / Penzance
All the way through Scotland it was announced as the 'Cornish Scot' - once across the border into England it was announced purely by its departure time & not by name.
At Plymouth before crossing the border out of England into Cornwall it once again became the 'Cornish Scot' & for the rest of the journey.
Never understood that :rolleyes:

An interesting point. I wonder if it was connected to ‘The Cornishman’ which in one of its many incarnations over the years, was replaced by ‘The Cornish Scot’ in the mid eighties. At that time ‘The Cornishman’ just ran from Penzance to Newcastle and return, which is opposite to your point I know as that would imply it was only named south of the border, but the replacement of the two trains may have caused some confusion by announcers.

Do you have any further information they may shed some light on this?

pt_mad

Established Member

Great Shane they haven't named one of the 390s Royal Scots. Especially with the relivwry and renaming of some sets.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Named services are a great tradition a d lovely idea, though in reality mean nothing to most people and don't say a lot about the particular service.

However most Pullman services are named, the exception that springs to mind is 1B25 (10.45 PAD - SWA).

59CosG95

Established Member
Great Shane they haven't named one of the 390s Royal Scots. Especially with the relivwry and renaming of some sets.
Before it was named "Alstom Pendolino", 390104 (or 004 as it was back then) was named "Virgin Scot". I do however think that a named service (such as the Royal Scot) would be near pointless on a 390 - but then again, EMT manage named services fine on their 222s.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I hate to dig this thread up again, does anyone have headcodes or times departing/arriving at London of GWR named trains from the Early 2020 timetable?

I know the Cheltenham Spa Express was 1G13

Armada – Plymouth
Atlantic Coast Express – Newquay
Bristolian – Weston-super-Mare and Bristol Temple Meads
Capitals United – Swansea
Cathedrals Express – Hereford
Cheltenham Spa Express – Cheltenham Spa 1G13
Cornish Riviera – Penzance
Cornishman – Penzance
Devon Express – Paignton
Golden Hind – Penzance
Mayflower – Plymouth
Merchant Venturer – Penzance and Bristol Temple Meads
Night Riviera – Penzance
Pembroke Coast Express – Pembroke Dock
Red Dragon – Carmarthen
Royal Duchy – Penzance
Torbay Express – Paignton

Last edited:

Established Member
I hate to dig this thread up again, does anyone have headcodes or times departing/arriving at London of GWR named trains from the Early 2020 timetable?

I know the Cheltenham Spa Express was 1G13

Armada – Plymouth
Atlantic Coast Express – Newquay
Bristolian – Weston-super-Mare and Bristol Temple Meads
Capitals United – Swansea
Cathedrals Express – Hereford
Cheltenham Spa Express – Cheltenham Spa 1G13
Cornish Riviera – Penzance
Cornishman – Penzance
Devon Express – Paignton
Golden Hind – Penzance
Mayflower – Plymouth
Merchant Venturer – Penzance and Bristol Temple Meads
Night Riviera – Penzance
Pembroke Coast Express – Pembroke Dock
Red Dragon – Carmarthen
Royal Duchy – PenzanceSt David – Swansea
Torbay Express – Paignton
I thought GWR got rid of the named trains in the December timetable other than the night Riviera which is 1C50 and 1A50

Established Member
No they are all still there in the current Network Rail timetable T0116
Not looked at the NR timetable but the GWR one didn't have them on which made me think they got rid of the named trains.

83G/84D

Established Member
The "Hind" and "Limited" are the only one's referred to by name in Cornwall. The Night Riviera is the "beds" or similar whilst the Royal Duchy and ACE don't really resonate with me, in fact I wouldn't know what services the Royal Duchy is.

dk1

Veteran Member
The "Hind" and "Limited" are the only one's referred to by name in Cornwall. The Night Riviera is the "beds" or similar whilst the Royal Duchy and ACE don't really resonate with me, in fact I wouldn't know what services the Royal Duchy is.
Usually the down Penzance just after midday.

Status
Not open for further replies.