• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Assessment Centre Attire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM Hopeful

Hi,
I’m just wondering what the consensus is for any dress code for a TM assessment Centre day with GWR?
I haven’t done any interviews/recruitment activities for over 20 years now, so a bit out of the loop as to whether I should still be shirt and tie wearing, or if smart casual suffices these days?!
Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi,
I’m just wondering what the consensus is for any dress code for a TM assessment Centre day with GWR?
I haven’t done any interviews/recruitment activities for over 20 years now, so a bit out of the loop as to whether I should still be shirt and tie wearing, or if smart casual suffices these days?!
Many thanks!
I would say suited and booted all the way.

You can't have that used as a reason then!

Lmc1976

I’ve done the conductor assessments with GWR, similar if not identical to the TM assessments.

For assessment 1 (psychometric tests) I wore smart/casual trousers and shirt, it’s quite a stressful exam situation so you want to be smart but comfortable and for assessment 2 I went for the fully suited and booted, tie, jacket etc.

At assessment 1 some people arrived in trainers and tracksuits and others in full suits so it is completely up to you what you go for as I’ve no idea how far they got in the process but for assessment 2 I think you must be as smart as you can possibly be as that is when you really need to impress.

TM Hopeful

Brilliant, thanks for your replies. I was also thinking along the lines of smart shirt and trousers for the first, and suited and booted for the second (if I get through) but I might have a tie handy for the first as well just in case!
Many thanks, it’s like going back to school again going back through the recruitment process after 21 years in the airline industry!

Brilliant, thanks for your replies. I was also thinking along the lines of smart shirt and trousers for the first, and suited and booted for the second (if I get through) but I might have a tie handy for the first as well just in case!
Many thanks, it’s like going back to school again going back through the recruitment process after 21 years in the airline industry!
I had mine on Friday. If you need any tips, let me know :)

Stigy

Established Member
I would definitely go in smart shirt and trousers at least. I know some people go in tracksuits etc as it is for an assessment rather than an interview. Call me old fashioned, but I truly believe that first impressions count, even if it is for an assessment day. My opinion is that it’s just disrespectful to pay so little attention to detail, and make so little effort that a person deem it acceptable to throw on some torn jeans and a t-shirt.

TM Hopeful

I would definitely go in smart shirt and trousers at least. I know some people go in tracksuits etc as it is for an assessment rather than an interview. Call me old fashioned, but I truly believe that first impressions count, even if it is for an assessment day. My opinion is that it’s just disrespectful to pay so little attention to detail, and make so little effort that a person deem it acceptable to throw on some torn jeans and a t-shirt.
Don’t worry I would have gone in smart trousers and a smart shirt at the very least! I have always worn uniform for work but I’ve noticed more and more of a tendency for ties to disappear in the workplace over recent years (they seem to have in our head office anyway!) hence asking what interview/assessment attire would tend to be these days. Noting that the TM role mentions immaculate uniform wearing in the job description I would find it astounding that some people would find it acceptable to turn up to a corporate office for part of a recruitment process in a tracksuit/trainers, maybe it’s just me though!!

Chumba

As someone who assists with the management of recruitment for my current employer, I always look at someone as they walk in the door and yes first impressions do count. ! If you turn up looking smart, clothes and appearance/hair etc, It sends a message to me that you do care about your appearance, you've taken the time to prepare yourself, and the persona you therefore project. Especially if you are looking to represent my employer to the public.

You wont get any actual marks for looking smart on the interview assessment forms but you may just get an extra mark for planning/preparation questions, or representing the organisation. Tatty clothes, bad appearance is definitely a negative on that first impression. This doesn't necessarily mean a suit and tie (for men) or suit (for women) smart trousers/skirt/dress and shirt/blouse will get that tick from me every time.

So take the time and effort to give yourself the best opportunity at getting that job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.