• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Bank Holiday Weekends - Don't Rely On Train Travel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
A fine Saturday on a Bank Holiday & GWR have several cancellations - presumably because they can’t get staff to volunteer for overtime? Among the cancellations are 1L58 Chelt > Pad; 1G11 Pad > Chelt; 1L50 Chelt > Pad; 1C12 Pad > Bristol; 2P74 Plymouth > Penzance. 1B15 ‘Pembroke Coast Express’ from Pad > Pembroke Dock - terminated at Swansea.

When are the railways going to get their act together and make weekend working part of the employment contract? It should not be voluntary overtime. I am all for people having time off with their families and therefore they should not have to work overtime.

I shall certainly be sticking to using my car as you just cannot rely on the railways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Saturday is part of the working week but there might be a reliance on overtime to cover diagrams. Clearly relying on overtime has its issues but sometimes overtime working is better than extra train crew on the books.

irish_rail

Established Member
Yea Saturday is part of working week anyway. Probably still too much training going on , e.g. training up the local drivers to drive the 2 + 4 HSTs , all the while the high speed men are slowly losing competence due to lack of driving on them!!

VP185

Plus it is the high Summer timetable, more weekend services requiring more crew. Demand will soon lower.

6Gman

Established Member
A fine Saturday on a Bank Holiday & GWR have several cancellations - presumably because they can’t get staff to volunteer for overtime? Among the cancellations are 1L58 Chelt > Pad; 1G11 Pad > Chelt; 1L50 Chelt > Pad; 1C12 Pad > Bristol; 2P74 Plymouth > Penzance. 1B15 ‘Pembroke Coast Express’ from Pad > Pembroke Dock - terminated at Swansea.

When are the railways going to get their act together and make weekend working part of the employment contract? It should not be voluntary overtime. I am all for people having time off with their families and therefore they should not have to work overtime.

I shall certainly be sticking to using my car as you just cannot rely on the railways.

Saturday is part of the standard contract week.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Plus it is the high Summer timetable, more weekend services requiring more crew. Demand will soon lower.

Thrre aren't really additional High Summer services like the old days. Services are altered perhaps, to accommodate seasonal flows.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
The railways rely on overtime all the time, not just weekends and Bank Holidays. Its just Bank Holidays fewer staff want to work it.

Sleepy

Established Member
Don't think Sunday will look very pretty - GWR insider reports severe shortage of crew at WOE depots !!

Last edited:

VP185

Thrre aren't really additional High Summer services like the old days. Services are altered perhaps, to accommodate seasonal flows.

There are a handful of additional high summer only jobs at certain WoE depots.

Status
Not open for further replies.