• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth - what a joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
There must be scope for a through train service between Exeter, Taunton and Weymouth, reversing at Castle Cary. Possibly an experiment could be run in summer with one of the 'mini HSTs' soon to be created with the coming of the IEP. I remember from my youth some BR literature concerning travel between Devon and Weymouth, and a footnote saying that as the train from the Westcountry didn't stop at Castle Cary, people had to go via Westbury and to pay a higher fare, which struck me as rather stingy! It does show a potential demand.
I really don't think there is anywhere near enough demand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
There must be scope for a through train service between Exeter, Taunton and Weymouth, reversing at Castle Cary. Possibly an experiment could be run in summer with one of the 'mini HSTs' soon to be created with the coming of the IEP. I remember from my youth some BR literature concerning travel between Devon and Weymouth, and a footnote saying that as the train from the Westcountry didn't stop at Castle Cary, people had to go via Westbury and to pay a higher fare, which struck me as rather stingy! It does show a potential demand.

If nothing ełse; not possible at present as no facing crossover exists for trains to Approach Castle Cary on the Up Athelney and arrive in the Down Platform. Reversing trains would have to do so by passing through Castle Cary; then setting back behind the GPL at the London end of the station.

I’d always thought a Devon - Jurassic Coast service would be better off travelling along the LSWR from Exeter to Yeovil and reversing there. It would enable a more frequent town to town service on the still relatively infrequent LSWR route west of Salisbury; and provide the connections you seek.

nanstallon

If nothing ełse; not possible at present as no facing crossover exists for trains to Approach Castle Cary on the Up Athelney and arrive in the Down Platform. Reversing trains would have to do so by passing through Castle Cary; then setting back behind the GPL at the London end of the station.

I’d always thought a Devon - Jurassic Coast service would be better off travelling along the LSWR from Exeter to Yeovil and reversing there. It would enable a more frequent town to town service on the still relatively infrequent LSWR route west of Salisbury; and provide the connections you seek.

I was thinking that via Castle Cary would give Taunton a link to Yeovil and Westbury.

Established Member
I was thinking that via Castle Cary would give Taunton a link to Yeovil and Westbury.
Taunton is already linked to Westbury. And with the mucking about at Castle Cary and the low linespeeds it would probably be just as quick to get the bus...

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Maybe people who whine about lack of Wi-Fi should invest in having a battery implanted into their head and a solar panel on their skull to charge it.

Schweir

Maybe people who whine about lack of Wi-Fi should invest in having a battery implanted into their head and a solar panel on their skull to charge it.
Some people have to work on trains. Do you really want the economy to collapse further when you start a petition for wifi to be removed from trains?

Harbornite

Established Member
Some people have to work on trains. Do you really want the economy to collapse further when you start a petition for wifi to be removed from trains?

Where did he say that he'd start a petition for wi-fi to be removed from trains?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Regarding 150/1s; these were never ideal for the route and a combination of First's aggressive under-bidding and DfT's complete lack of rigour in predicting demand flows combined to the situation we have today, where a large number of good quality 158 sets went to Northern to potter around East Yorkshire branch lines whilst the West Country ended up with third-hand commuter trains from the Midlands on busy long-distance regional services. Although in terms of the Weymouth line in the Winter it was common to see a single 153 working through from Bristol and it wouldn't be taxed by the passenger load on offer - a massive difference compared to now!

I never understood the reason why Northern use 158's on the stopper between Hull and Selby, surely a 150 could do the job. At one point the Sheffield to Bridlington / Scarborough services were operated by class 156's before they were carted off elsewhere and replaced with 158's.

I don't suppose that Northern could exchange the seven remaining class 155's for seven more 158's for sole use on the Weymouth's?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Couldn't agree more. Keeps little kids quiet too, thankfully. As log as the parents provide headphones as they ought to do!

Taunton

Established Member
You could have done this in the BR Mk 1 stock on the line in the 1980s. But do you actually think you can work on your laptop, with wifi, squashed in on a 150 with standing passengers around? There isn't even enough shoulder room to work on the keyboard.

A0wen

On Moderation
I never understood the reason why Northern use 158's on the stopper between Hull and Selby, surely a 150 could do the job. At one point the Sheffield to Bridlington / Scarborough services were operated by class 156's before they were carted off elsewhere and replaced with 158's.

I don't suppose that Northern could exchange the seven remaining class 155's for seven more 158's for sole use on the Weymouth's?

I assume the use of 158s is because that service is part of another diagram where 158s are appropriate?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

.....nobody has to work on trains (even those employed by the railways) some people may choose to.

Having a chip in your head and your own personal Wi-Fi antennae would help reduce costs and fares for the rest of us.

Noam

Lemming, being able to work on trains is one of the reasons many people get the train in the first place. Would you rather they drove?

Parallel

Established Member
I can’t see GWR agreeing to that. Plus, the current plan is for Turbos to work to and from Weymouth.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
GWR are aiming to remove Leyland Buses from their network, not add more to the fleet! 153/155 units are just 142 Pacers in disguise.

I'm sure they'd agree to the swap the other way around though, seven 2-car 158s from Northern in exchange for fourteen 153s of variously dubious origin :D

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Lemming, being able to work on trains is one of the reasons many people get the train in the first place. Would you rather they drove?
That may be the case but the primary purpose is to transport us all from A to B and that should be the primary focus. It isn't anyone's mobile office. There are people who seem to think it is their god given right to sprawl out and takeover a table like it is their private office - the rest of us pay to use that space too.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The 153 /155 is as much a descendent of the Leyland National as the 142 Pacer. It is built of bus components, with riveted sections similar to the 142.

The 153 /155 is as much a descendent of the Leyland National as the 142 Pacer. It is built of bus components, with riveted sections similar to the 142.

Yes agreed. My point was about the travelling environment. I dislike pacers but have always had a soft spot for 153s

LiftFan

I've never really liked 153s simply because of their tendency to turn up pretending to be a 2 or 3 carriage service.

I've never really liked 153s simply because of their tendency to turn up pretending to be a 2 or 3 carriage service.
I don't believe it makes any difference to train preference. If you have to stand on a train when you want a seat, it's not pleasant whether you are on a train you love or hate! I went on a rammed 170 from Oxford to Bicester village, liked the train but not the journey!

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I'll be sad when they go because they can sometimes make a two carriage unit bearable !

No Brakes

Remember being at Dorchester one Saturday with loads of people on the platform who were going to a rugby game in Bath/Bristol area. There was no sign of a train but a bus pulled up on the other side of the platform. The driver popped out and looked around the other empty platform ignoring all of us, and then got back in his busy bus and pulled off. The person next to me a couple of minutes later said "you don't suppose that was a replacement bus?"

Sure enough it was. Next train wasn't for another 2 hours. Surely it doesn't cost that much to install an information screen at a station like Dorchester?

When I used to use that line it felt like GWR really couldn't be bothered with it. Going over to SWT on the other Dorchester line was like entering another world.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Dorchester South is now a bit of a dump, but it is due to be renewed, AIUI.

nanstallon

You could have done this in the BR Mk 1 stock on the line in the 1980s. But do you actually think you can work on your laptop, with wifi, squashed in on a 150 with standing passengers around? There isn't even enough shoulder room to work on the keyboard.

Ah, but Britain is a third world country. You wouldn't expect to do any work on the train in Bangladesh, would you?

richard_S

What is needed is a chord east of Dorchester south and Dorchester west. That will open routes to bristol - Bournemouth. Bournemouth - to the southwest when the chord is built at Yeovil Pen Mill.

DerekC

Established Member
What is needed is a chord east of Dorchester south and Dorchester west. That will open routes to bristol - Bournemouth. Bournemouth - to the southwest when the chord is built at Yeovil Pen Mill.

All very good in theory but have you looked at the map? You are either talking about some pretty expensive demolitions and highway work close to the centre of Dorchester (and probably moving Dorchester South) or several miles of new line missing Dorchester altogether!

Status
Not open for further replies.