• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cascade Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any knowledge of recent updates to the cascade plan that GWR have got in place? Can anyone also confirm if Newbury electrification will play a part in it? Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Does anyone have any knowledge of recent updates to the cascade plan that GWR have got in place? Can anyone also confirm if Newbury electrification will play a part in it? Many thanks

Class 387's are coming into the fleet therfore releasing Class 16x to go into the Bristol area which will then allow some Class 158's into Devon and Cornwall.

Adding to the above post, it is planned that the 387s will be heading to Newbury by the end of this year which will in turn allow more 165/166 units to transfer to Bristol. I believe some Turbos will be remaining at Reading permanently to work the Thames Valley branches between Paddington and Reading if I am not mistaken. However, more will transfer to Bristol when the 769s arrive. This will allow more 158s and 150s to move into Devon and Cornwall.

That all sounds realistic to me. Plus there will be the 2+4 HSTs as well. I think once the 2019 timetable kicks in I believe the plan by then is to have the 165/166s start working the Portsmouth to Cardiff route which in turn will release 158s to Devon and Cornwall. I believe the plans for this region are to have half hourly trains between Plymouth and Penzance which will contain a mix of the Castle HSTs and 158s. I believe the Barnstaple services will also be in hands of the 158s and will by then terminate at St James Park instead of Exmouth. I think the Exmouth to Paignton services will increase to every 30 minutes and this will mostly be worked by 4 car 150s. The 150s will also obviously work the Cornish branch lines as well. I also believe by then all the Paddington to Penzance trains will all be in the control of the 802s with all the HSTs gone apart from the Castle sets.

Last edited:
Anyone know the depot allocation for Exeter? @PHILIPE has already stated that the two 150/1's are off to Northern so presumably that leaves GWR with just the only 2 Class 150/0's, and a load of Class 150/2's. Does anyone know how many of those 150/2's will be stationed at the Exeter TMD and if any 158's will be there and if so how many?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Anyone know the depot allocation for Exeter? @PHILIPE has already stated that the two 150/1's are off to Northern so presumably that leaves GWR with just the only 2 Class 150/0's, and a load of Class 150/2's. Does anyone know how many of those 150/2's will be stationed at the Exeter TMD and if any 158's will be there and if so how many?

All the 150/2s are now allocated to Exeter, 158s in the future

All the 150/2s are now allocated to Exeter, 158s in the future

So St Philips Marsh is all Class 16x and some Class 158's. Do you know how many Class 150/2's GWR have? Wiki says 20 although as we all know the Wiki isn't always right.

At present, Exeter have all the 143s, the last 5 remaining 153s and all the 150/2s. According to Clarence Yard, there will be Turbos also running the Devon Metro services in the future once the 769s have started entering service.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
At present, Exeter have all the 143s, the last 5 remaining 153s and all the 150/2s. According to Clarence Yard, there will be Turbos also running the Devon Metro services in the future once the 769s have started entering service.
What Devon services will the Turbos work don't forget there are clearance issues that need to be taken into account.

So no Class 158’s for Exeter then just yet. I didn’t know that the Turbos are coming down this way.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wasn't there some gauging issues for the turbo in devon and cornwall area one of the issues was the steps?
Patience is called for. Gauging of 165/166 has had to be checked everywhere they don’t already run, eg as far as Portsmouth and Brighton, and is still ongoing. I don’t think there’s anything extra special about Devon and Cornwall, it just wasn’t the first priority, indeed it can be seen to be “batch 8 of 8”.

The Sept 2018 enhancements delivery plan has the routes west of Plymouth being down as CP6 work, which suggests the main issue is it isn’t planned to be started yet...

Patience is called for. Gauging of 165/166 has had to be checked everywhere they don’t already run, eg as far as Portsmouth and Brighton, and is still ongoing. I don’t think there’s anything extra special about Devon and Cornwall, it just wasn’t the first priority, indeed it can be seen to be “batch 8 of 8”.

The Sept 2018 enhancements delivery plan has the routes west of Plymouth being down as CP6 work, which suggests the main issue is it isn’t planned to be started yet...

You clearly know more than me on this topic. Are the Class 165 and 166's actually excessively wide or is it just the steps that can cause issues, if so how wide are they?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You clearly know more than me on this topic. Are the Class 165 and 166's actually excessively wide or is it just the steps that can cause issues, if so how wide are they?
The steps are one issue to be overcome, but many (eventually all?) of the units have been modified by raising the overall height using some sort of packing or shims between bogie and body. It was suggested in an earlier discussion that this actually fixed quite a few problem platforms.
A summary is that although the 165/166 are slightly wider than typical 23m vehicles, they are not any wider than typical 20m vehicles...

Last edited:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The 165/6 are not excessively wide in the body. The step boards were about 50mm lower than a 150 and that usually caused the main issues. NSE worked to a much tighter train-platform interface standard than RR so the clearance software that NR now uses picks up a lot of potential fouls when vehicle throw is taken into account.

GWR sorted this issue out by raising the height of the body by 25mm and most of the issues have just disappeared. However, because NR insists on absolute gauging, the remaining platform issues are mainly where there should have been some remedial work anyway, for all classes.

Yaw dampers have been known to cause the odd problem by being foul of lineside equipment and some lineside signs have had to be moved, particularly on ex SR routes, whose engineers tend to be a bit more risk averse than their ex WR counterparts.

Following Portsmouth, certificates giving clearance down as far as Plymouth are expected to be issued sometime in January. It won’t be unlimited clearance as there are always a few issues to sort out that then get amended on subsequent versions of the clearance certificates. That’s roughly how the system works these days.

The 165/6 are not excessively wide in the body. The step boards were about 50mm lower than a 150 and that usually caused the main issues. NSE worked to a much tighter train-platform interface standard than RR so the clearance software that NR now uses picks up a lot of potential fouls when vehicle throw is taken into account.

GWR sorted this issue out by raising the height of the body by 25mm and most of the issues have just disappeared. However, because NR insists on absolute gauging, the remaining platform issues are mainly where there should have been some remedial work anyway, for all classes.

Yaw dampers have been known to cause the odd problem by being foul of lineside equipment and some lineside signs have had to be moved, particularly on ex SR routes, whose engineers tend to be a bit more risk averse than their ex WR counterparts.

Following Portsmouth, certificates giving clearance down as far as Plymouth are expected to be issued sometime in January. It won’t be unlimited clearance as there are always a few issues to sort out that then get amended on subsequent versions of the clearance certificates. That’s roughly how the system works these days.

Do you know of how much clearance between the train and an object, be it a sign post or platform, is required before a Class is granted unlimited clearance?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Do you know of how much clearance between the train and an object, be it a sign post or platform, is required before a Class is granted unlimited clearance?

It’s usually any positive figure comparing the structure with the Kinematic Envelope of the vehicle, which includes “throw” at a variety of speeds. If it is too tight to call, the gauging engineer usually puts a speed restriction on. He uses his professional judgement on this.

83G/84D

Established Member
How long are the 5 remaining 153’s due to stay at GWR? Does it depend on the GTi HST programme?

Apedlar12

Is it some point in 2019 that the 158s will start work on the Barny branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.