• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cascade Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As I understand it they are leaving today (Sunday) and there is a working from Exeter TMD to Westbury DMU sidings at 16:22. Can't see how and when they get from Westbury to Bristol SPM (there initial destination as I understood things) and thence across the border.

The Devon Metro lines were treated to a diagram with three coupled together on Saturday - 333, 369 and 329. Would post a photo but don't know how to! 325 was on Exeter depot and 361 was working the Looe branch I believe.

End of an era.

The working from Exeter to Westbury is a positioning move of units and nothing to do with the 153 cascade. The 153s are all working and scattered around Devon at the moment

After the 153's have gone, what will EXETER TMD be left with and when will the pacers be going and will we get more 158's to replace them.

Apedlar12

The working from Exeter to Westbury is a positioning move of units and nothing to do with the 153 cascade. The 153s are all working and scattered around Devon at the moment
Yep, plus that working has not even left yet either.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yep, plus that working has not even left yet either.

Probably won't now. It was a move planned to balance units, perhaps due to the effect of the closure between Weston and Bristol.
Come the day and where units were there was possibly nothing to go,

TJDevon

The information that I circulated yesterday, which was obtained from a good source, turned out to be 100% inaccurate. The 153s are indeed still in Devon, for one more week as I understand it. Today two were working on the Riviera / Avocet services, one worked down to Penzance (I am told) and 325 is still on Exeter depot. Don't know about the fifth one.

83G/84D

Established Member
According to information circulated there are no booked Class 153 diagrams from today. However it is possible that some may be retained for ad-hoc workings as there is still staff training to be completed on the 2+4 HST’s.

153361 went to Penzance on Sunday.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
According to information circulated there are no booked Class 153 diagrams from today. However it is possible that some may be retained for ad-hoc workings as there is still staff training to be completed on the 2+4 HST’s.

153361 went to Penzance on Sunday.

A pair worked 2U12 0925 St James to Cardiff today

oliverpckehoe

After the 153's have gone, what will EXETER TMD be left with and when will the pacers be going and will we get more 158's to replace them.

Exeter TMD will (already does) service 150s and will also start servicing 158s. Once the Pacers start leaving Exeter will get additional 158s for Tarka/Avocet services as well as some of the Penzance-Exeter services alongside the Castle sets.

Edit: I have no idea of the exact week the Pacers are leaving, but it will be by the end of 2019 (PRM stuff will make them incompliant)

Exeter TMD will (already does) service 150s and will also start servicing 158s. Once the Pacers start leaving Exeter will get additional 158s for Tarka/Avocet services as well as some of the Penzance-Exeter services alongside the Castle sets.

Edit: I have no idea of the exact week the Pacers are leaving, but it will be by the end of 2019 (PRM stuff will make them incompliant)

How many 158's will we have in the end and how many 150/2's?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
In Dec 2019 the 150 fleet will be 20 x 150/2 and 2 x 150/0, working Exeter area services and Cornish branches. The 158 fleet will be 7 x 3 car and 11 x 2 car, working some Bristol area services, some Cornish main line services and the Barney branch.

What happens after that is still up for grabs as the DfT decide what they want to buy (service wise) in the next 2 year DA award, DA3, which should start next year. With the arrival of the 769 units, there should be several more 165/1 units heading west towards Bristol and Exeter. Also the 2 x 150/0 units are not being offered by Angel to GWR past April 2020 but releasing any more cl.150 units depends on what level of service improvements the DfT buys.

It was mentioned in the North Downs thread, that that service will remain 2tph so presumably it will also remain with 7 diagrams instead of 9. In which case there should be a couple of surplus 769s which perhaps may allow one or two more 165s to go west than originally intended?

Noddy

In Dec 2019 the 150 fleet will be 20 x 150/2 and 2 x 150/0, working Exeter area services and Cornish branches. The 158 fleet will be 7 x 3 car and 11 x 2 car, working some Bristol area services, some Cornish main line services and the Barney branch.

What happens after that is still up for grabs as the DfT decide what they want to buy (service wise) in the next 2 year DA award, DA3, which should start next year. With the arrival of the 769 units, there should be several more 165/1 units heading west towards Bristol and Exeter. Also the 2 x 150/0 units are not being offered by Angel to GWR past April 2020 but releasing any more cl.150 units depends on what level of service improvements the DfT buys.

Surely DfT/GWR need to seriously consider large scale fleet replacement of the GWR DMU fleet. Most are currently around 25-30 years with the 150s heading to 35 years. Most modern (certainly new) DMUs will have both considerably higher acceleration/top seed/fuel efficiency and fewer pollutants. A single fleet (eg 195s) of 2,3 and 5 car trains could cover everything from rural branches in Cornwall to Bristol/Cardiff commuters to inter-region Worcester/Cardiff to south coast services.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The Treasury are not up for large scale fleet replacement in the next two year DA. New stock for the GWR locals seems to be off the agenda, for the moment at least.

What happens after that is anyone's guess (and FG does have some ideas for replacement stock) but the 150 and 158 stock won't last for ever.

anamyd

On Moderation
The Treasury are not up for large scale fleet replacement in the next two year DA. New stock for the GWR locals seems to be off the agenda, for the moment at least.

What happens after that is anyone's guess (and FG does have some ideas for replacement stock) but the 150 and 158 stock won't last for ever.
do you know what GWR has in mind...?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
GWR (the TOC) don't do DA bids - FG (the Rail Division HQ) does.

Yes, I do know but it stays in the bid room for now, I'm afraid.

PaulEXRY

Class 153 transfer to TFW Rail on Monday 1st April.
5Z53 10:00 Exeter TMD - Cardiff Canton sidings.

anamyd

On Moderation
I was at Exeter St Davids yesterday and 153329/361/369 have had their branding removed now so just plain blue with pink doors :(
so all 5 of them should be plain blue with pink doors when I try and catch the movement at Cardiff Central tomorrow...?

Apedlar12

so all 5 of them should be plain blue with pink doors when I try and catch the movement at Cardiff Central tomorrow...?
No, only 153329/361/369. 153325/333 will be in a very tatty London Midland livery after having their promotional livery's taken off :)

Parallel

Established Member
Shame, it would’ve been a sight to see ‘Visit South Devon By Train’ roll into Coryton :lol:

Anyone know where these GWR 153s are likely to work? Doubled up to cover for 150s, or on lines like City Line, so 14x can cover 150s?

Parallel

Established Member
Devon Metro today looking hideously short formed if JourneyCheck is anything to go by. Probably as a result of losing the 153s with nothing yet to replace them.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Shame, it would’ve been a sight to see ‘Visit South Devon By Train’ roll into Coryton :lol:

Anyone know where these GWR 153s are likely to work? Doubled up to cover for 150s, or on lines like City Line, so 14x can cover 150s?

The same places as the current TFW ones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.