• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cascade Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking on journey check earlier today, I saw that the bedwyn services were being formed of 3 coaches (turbo) instead of 5 (IET)...
IET shortages due to overheating problems by some accounts.

I’m sure Bedwyn’s have been mostly IET since the May timetable change, it was all discussed in the now closed Class 800 thread at that time. This thread isn’t really current, the earlier question about Bedwyn was asked in late April, a lot has changed since then...

Parallel

Established Member
Single 150s still fairly common on Cardiff - Pompey too, was on one on Saturday, 150216. I’m aware of the original cascade plan, but at the moment it feels like there are still more 15x on these services than 16x. Is Bristol waiting for more units to cascade from Reading? Another poster also mentioned there were plans for Turbos to be cleared in Devon and Cornwall too.

Single 150s still fairly common on Cardiff - Pompey too, was on one on Saturday, 150216. I’m aware of the original cascade plan, but at the moment it feels like there are still more 15x on these services than 16x. Is Bristol waiting for more units to cascade from Reading? Another poster also mentioned there were plans for Turbos to be cleared in Devon and Cornwall too.

Isn't it the other way round with more turbos leaving Bristol for Reading to fill in for 387s until December?

Apedlar12

Yes, well the turbos were currently cleared as far as Exeter St Davids but there was a test run to Barnstaple and Exmouth a couple of weeks ago and I hear that they also plan to clear Paignton, Plymouth, Gunnislake, St Ives and to Penzance for future use but have no idea when this is likely to happen...

KT530

IET shortages due to overheating problems by some accounts.

I’m sure Bedwyn’s have been mostly IET since the May timetable change, it was all discussed in the now closed Class 800 thread at that time. This thread isn’t really current, the earlier question about Bedwyn was asked in late April, a lot has changed since then...

More than likely due to no available Guard, which the 800s are temporarily required to have between Reading & Bedwyn, so substituted for a Turbo to enable the journey to run.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Yes, well the turbos were currently cleared as far as Exeter St Davids but there was a test run to Barnstaple and Exmouth a couple of weeks ago and I hear that they also plan to clear Paignton, Plymouth, Gunnislake, St Ives and to Penzance for future use but have no idea when this is likely to happen...

West of Plymouth has now been canned as far as Turbo clearance is concerned. Gunny would have been an issue for couplers and cardan shafts anyway because of the line curvature.

Turbos are now officially clear to Paignton and Plymouth but the station stop test run(s) have yet to be run.

Status
Not open for further replies.