• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 143 withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IamTrainsYT

Presumably because following its ordeal by sea water there is now another unit in better condition. Engineers do not as a rule share some enthusiasts’ fixation with fleet numbers.
Most likely, yes
As I said above, it was reported elsewhere to be based on condition. Which is the right way of doing it.
well I’m sorry for repeating what was said by a volunteer

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Presumably because following its ordeal by sea water there is now another unit in better condition. Engineers do not as a rule share some enthusiasts’ fixation with fleet numbers.
Though it's often the "first built" examples that end up being preserved... D9000, D6700, 142001 to name a few.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Modified Saturday service with reductions in formations due to passenger numbers being down by as much as 80% on some lines.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It sounds very plausible, but if you’d originally said “according to a post on Facebook” then it would help us all judge how reliable your source is likely to be. There’s a lot of stuff reported on social media that turns out to be no more than wibble/speculation/fake news which then gets reported on as fact.

But assuming it’s true, a sensible and obvious move by GWR to remove its non compliant stock first.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The 4 coach trains (143 plus 15X) passing Dawlish webcam have looked very empty for some time so it does not surprise me.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 4 coach trains (143 plus 15X) passing Dawlish webcam have looked very empty for some time so it does not surprise me.

They'll go down to 2-car from Monday (only the 15X)
Hell you could possibly run 2-coach trains into London right now!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Maybe GWR have finally found the right conditions for running 5 car IETs?

Probably! Looks like much of the Exmouth to Paignton services are 2 today vice 4 so the short-forming has already started.

Apedlar12

Probably! Looks like much of the Exmouth to Paignton services are 2 today vice 4 so the short-forming has already started.
Yes, the short forming started happening mid last week I believe with most of the Exmouth to Paignton diagrams now operating as single 150/2s (although 158763 was on one of them a couple of days ago) but they still seem to be running the diagrams which are booked for double 150/2 as normal but I would guess this would change to singles from Monday...

Ashley Hill

Established Member
image.jpeg 143617 is being used as a temporary messroom at Exeter St David's. This is due to the large number of crews being spare due to the service reductions.

Status
Not open for further replies.