• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

Wychwood93

I can’t remember the last “comfortable” Portsmouth service I went on; they’re all so hopelessly overcrowded at all times of day the additional capacity - in whatever form - is welcome.

Rather a cramped, uncomfortable seat than no seat at all.
The class 33's plus five about thirty years ago? Then it wandered off to 155/156/158s in generally 2-car formations. Current services are not overcrowded all of the day - it may well appear to be the case, depending when you travel. The 166/165's will offer better capacity - not the 'peak' 'peaks' perhaps - but better. Looking forward to timing them to see the comparison with the 158s. A 5-car tri-mode IET would assist capacity and timings - and the chances of that are...…….. zilck. EDIT: zilch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
A 150/0 was operating the 16:30 Cardiff to Portsmouth today. Was absolutely rammed between Bristol and Trowbridge. Extra capacity from Turbos will be welcome.

VT 390

Established Member
The sooner the route is cut back to Portsmouth to Bristol and handed to the SWR franchise the better. Proper interworking with Salisbury and Southampton services could then occur. This has never been a route well treated under GWR.

The route should continue to Cardiff as there are a lot of through passengers especially from Bath Spa

VT 390

Established Member
There are not enough GWR 158 to go 5 car on the Pompeys. If more were available, that would have been the first option. But there aren't and no-one was willing to give any cl.158 to GWR either. So a different traction choice had to be made.

Could the Transport for Wales units move to GWR once they get their new stock as I thought they were not keeping their 158's.

Parallel

Established Member
Could the Transport for Wales units move to GWR once they get their new stock as I thought they were not keeping their 158's.
I think TfW are planning to replace theirs in 2023? I’m sure they’ll get snapped up but my bet would be them going to Northern and EMT (Just a hunch) - They would be welcome on GWR though.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
No 158 units are available in time. The capacity is needed now so Turbos are the only option.

Is this service still booked a Turbo on weekdays? Thanks.

2D02 0600 Exeter St Davids - Bristol Parkway

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A 150/0 was operating the 16:30 Cardiff to Portsmouth today. Was absolutely rammed between Bristol and Trowbridge. Extra capacity from Turbos will be welcome.

It had replaced 166212, not a Turbo job. Should be 5 Cars from Cardiff to Westbury and "Tiger" reported so but perhaps not accurate. There were 3 x 158/9s in the West today with 2 visiting Penzance,

Envoy

Established Member
So, just when are these 5 car turbos going to start running Cardiff > Portsmouth? (Newbury is now wired & 5 coach IET’s should now be available for the Bedwyn’s thus freeing up the Turbos). Ideally, surely Cardiff to Portsmouth should have some new b/trii-mode trains thus making use of electricity where available.

I also thought that by now, 4 coach HST’s would be operating between Cardiff and the south-west. I realise they cannot all be modified at once but Scotland has had their allocation and I think some are now going into storage - so why the delay?

VT 390

Established Member
So, just when are these 5 car turbos going to start running Cardiff > Portsmouth? (Newbury is now wired & 5 coach IET’s should now be available for the Bedwyn’s thus freeing up the Turbos). Ideally, surely Cardiff to Portsmouth should have some new b/trii-mode trains thus making use of electricity where available.

Could GWR have 769's operating on the Portsmouth to Cardiff service, they could be shortened to 3 carriages and operate in pairs making all services 6 carriages?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

I also thought that by now, 4 coach HST’s would be operating between Cardiff and the south-west. I realise they cannot all be modified at once but Scotland has had their allocation and I think some are now going into storage - so why the delay?

The Turbos have started running from Cardiff to Portsmouth from the start of the month, 4 a day, these being 0730, 0930, 1530 and 1730 ex Cardiff. Well documented up thread. 5 coach IETs to Bedwyn are on hold for now due to sighting problems for DOO with their mirrors.
The shortened HSTs have been delayed with 2 sets, 1 working (between Exeter and Penzance) and the other currently on training runs. The Scotrail ones have been rushed into service with toilets still emptying on the track except for one. A third one arrived this week but still being formed up and tested.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Could GWR have 769's operating on the Portsmouth to Cardiff service, they could be shortened to 3 carriages and operate in pairs making all services 6 carriages?

The 769s cannot be split for starters and have to operate in 4 car formation Also 6 car trains would be over length for many platforms.
This has already been discussed but I can't turn up the actual thread at the moment

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No. The 769s eventual majority use is for a different route, basically the North Downs line (Reading to Redhill/Gatwick) where they can effectively use their bimode capability.

Apedlar12

Would anyone happen to know what is booked on 2O89 to Weymouth and 2E24 to Gloucester, as I am planning a trip and would end up catching either of those services.

Thanks in advance :)

JN114

Established Member
Would anyone happen to know what is booked on 2O89 to Weymouth and 2E24 to Gloucester, as I am planning a trip and would end up catching either of those services.

Thanks in advance :)

Presuming you’re after weekdays:
2O89 is booked for a 2 car 165
2E24 is booked for a 3 car 166

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Started seeing a fair few 165's instead of 166's on the stopping services between Bath and Bristol. Fine if they are running doubled up but not good enough at all if they are running in singles (like the 8.41 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth this morning!).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Started seeing a fair few 165's instead of 166's on the stopping services between Bath and Bristol. Fine if they are running doubled up but not good enough at all if they are running in singles (like the 8.41 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth this morning!).

There are several trains between Bristol and Bath worked by single 165s. The one you mention, though, should be a pair detaching one of the units at Westbury

CC 72100

Established Member
I believe this is a Turbo

Correct - the 1450 from Malvern is only really a 158 because it comes off the 09:00 Brighton - Great Malvern. Other services on the route are now all turbo, with the odd 150 appearance, but no booked 150s at present.

Apedlar12

Correct - the 1450 from Malvern is only really a 158 because it comes off the 09:00 Brighton - Great Malvern. Other services on the route are now all turbo, with the odd 150 appearance, but no booked 150s at present.
Is that the same with Saturdays?