• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

RPI

Established Member
December should be fun around Exeter then when the 143s go with nothing to immediately replace them, 4 diagrams would then I presume see 4 2 vice 4 diagrams on the Exmouth-Paignton which at peak times now (yes, even with Covid) is extremely busy, social distancing is non existent with a 4 car, id hate to see with a 2!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
December should be fun around Exeter then when the 143s go with nothing to immediately replace them, 4 diagrams would then I presume see 4 2 vice 4 diagrams on the Exmouth-Paignton which at peak times now (yes, even with Covid) is extremely busy, social distancing is non existent with a 4 car, id hate to see with a 2!
Isn't there one castle hst set due very soon. Just before the December 2020 timetable Change. From conversion at Doncaster webtec. Which went up middle off June 2020 from st Phillips Marsh hst Depot for conversion. Which was one off the ones hull trains had on hire from great Western last year 2019.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Mitigation is already in place, even before the extra HSTs were ordered there was still a spare traffic diagram and with the first of the extra sets class 158s will be cascaded to allow the planned movements of turbos west ready for 1st January.

Express380

I read that the pacers are going on the 13th December before the timetable change and turbos will take over some workings from then is this true or not?

RPI

Established Member
Mitigation is already in place, even before the extra HSTs were ordered there was still a spare traffic diagram and with the first of the extra sets class 158s will be cascaded to allow the planned movements of turbos west ready for 1st January.
Thats a relief!

trolleyman

1 or 2 turbo diagram on Devon metro I believe coming from the extra castle set due (Mon-Fri). Some extra 158 work on Cardiff - Pompeys

davetheguard

Established Member
I presume Turbos on Devon Metro duties will be three car sets running on their own. I also presume that you can't couple a Turbo to a 143/150/158?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Or a pair of 165s maybe?

Very much doubt that, they're being released by 1 Castle replacing 2 158s, to work a Portsmouth - Cardiff diagram.
A 2 car 165 will have close to the seating capacity of a 150+143 so it'll be an adequate replacement.

RPI

Established Member
Very much doubt that, they're being released by 1 Castle replacing 2 158s, to work a Portsmouth - Cardiff diagram.
A 2 car 165 will have close to the seating capacity of a 150+143 so it'll be an adequate replacement.
Not so much for the summer, the issue on the metro in the summer is luggage/bikes/pushchairs

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Not so much for the summer, the issue on the metro in the summer is luggage/bikes/pushchairs

Yes but we are currently talking about the mitigation for the winter timetable, there will be different plans in place by next summer with further additional HSTs.

RPI

Established Member
Yes but we are currently talking about the mitigation for the winter timetable, there will be different plans in place by next summer with further additional HSTs.
The issue then will be social distancing!

cactustwirly

Established Member
The issue then will be social distancing!

Obviously not ideal, the 769s should have been in service by now.
But they're not, there aren't anymore turbos to release, unless you cut other services.
Social distancing isn't a huge issue as there is mitigation such as facemasks etc, and I doubt the Devon metro is rammed at this time of year.

RPI

Established Member
But they're not, there aren't anymore turbos to release, unless you cut other services.
Social distancing isn't a huge issue as there is mitigation such as facemasks etc, and I doubt the Devon metro is rammed at this time of year.
The Devon metro has seen more of a return to "normal" than a lot of other routes, thats the issue

Express380

But if 2 158s can come off a cornwall diagram and go up to bristol thanks to the extra 2+4 set (05:40 Penzance to Exeter I think is the diagram it should work which is currently a pair of 158s but thats going off RTT) that surely could release at least 1 turbo

fgwrich

Established Member

I have a feeling it'll be some time yet before any enter service - the first one isn't allowed out with nothing else to rescue it, and at the moment it doesn't move either. It's a shame the EMR cascades wont be releasing any 158s any earlier either, as that could / would have helped the situation for GW.

cactustwirly

Established Member
But if 2 158s can come off a cornwall diagram and go up to bristol thanks to the extra 2+4 set (05:40 Penzance to Exeter I think is the diagram it should work which is currently a pair of 158s but thats going off RTT) that surely could release at least 1 turbo
It releases 1 165 and 1 166.
These are presumably being used to replace 2 separate 143 diagrams?

Pacerman99

166209. It's currently based at Reading.

Makes a change seeing something blue back in LTV area
Absolutely! I commute on the NDL every day and really miss the 2+2 seating of the 166s both in the 'family area' in the middle coach and the declassified first section. Any ideas how long it's staying at Reading for? I presume its just temporary.

JN114

Established Member
Absolutely! I commute on the NDL every day and really miss the 2+2 seating of the 166s both in the 'family area' in the middle coach and the declassified first section. Any ideas how long it's staying at Reading for? I presume its just temporary.

166209 goes “home” to Bristol on Wednesday - it was only at Reading for an exam, and the exam only took a couple of days; so Bristol have let us use it until Wednesday. After it goes back there aren’t any immediate plans to have any 166s at Reading, we’ll just have 165101-165127; and they’ll have 165128-165137 + all the 166s.

The odd one may still visit, and we may or may not get to use it when it does; but the RHM mods programme is finished, so the fleet has been shuffled round to its end state, until the 769s come on stream.

Express380

It releases 1 165 and 1 166.
These are presumably being used to replace 2 separate 143 diagrams?
Sounds right if thats the case and the turbos come down it would also free up 2 150s as the 150s have to be with the pacers so they could go onto another diagram to make a 4 car

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
Well at it stands, it isn't that simple, as that pair of 158s splits at Exeter, with one going back down to Penzance, and the other set dropped off also has its own diagram back to Penzance (which also attached to another unit later in the day). Of course, I haven't checked the changes for the Dec TT change.

Apedlar12

1 or 2 turbo diagram on Devon metro I believe coming from the extra castle set due (Mon-Fri). Some extra 158 work on Cardiff - Pompeys
From what I have heard it sounded like there was some discussion about using one turbo on BNP <> SJP on weekdays replacing a 158/9 which is currently booked on there which I would assume would be used on CDF <> PMH as there is due to be some more 158s working on that route. And the other turbo would be used on EXM <> PGN but from what I have worked out that would leave EXM <> PGN with 5 double 150 diagrams and a 16x diagram so the last diagram would still need to be covered so maybe that will be short formed for a few months into 2021...

pompeyfan

Established Member
Could the platforms on the Devon metro area cope with 4 or 5 car turbos? It’s a shame that SWRs diesel SDO system wasn’t built into all sprinters and turbos. It’s primitive but works

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Could the platforms on the Devon metro area cope with 4 or 5 car turbos? It’s a shame that SWRs diesel SDO system wasn’t built into all sprinters and turbos. It’s primitive but works
As far as I was aware SWR’s 158/159s don’t have SDO but it’s a selective unit opening system. This works fine on through gangway stock but not so well as block ended stock such as turbos.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

Why would you want a 4 or 5 car? A 3 car Turbo carries more punters (sitting or standing) than a 4 car 150.