• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
166201 is on 1V39 today - presume it's at reading for maintenence.
It has been on North Downs workings for a few weeks. Is it not there just to ensure there are enough units to cover the service rather than a maintenance requirement? (1V39 is 0802 Gatwick Airport to Reading).

FGW_DID

Established Member
No it’s at Reading because LTV still have 1x 166 diagram (RG401). 166201 came back from SPM to cover the work but in reality it just gets pooled in with the 3 car 165s.

I think 166201 has been working off Reading ever since the December 2020 timetable change when there is was an increase in the number of North Downs diagrams. This increase was not for very long due to the lockdown timetable alterations, which obviously could not have been foreseen when 166201 moved East.

Tommy Walters

Semi related to this thread, but just seen 158956 down at Exmouth on 2T23 to Paignton. I assume this is covering for a 150 pair rather than a Turbo?

Apedlar12

Semi related to this thread, but just seen 158956 down at Exmouth on 2T23 to Paignton. I assume this is covering for a 150 pair rather than a Turbo?
Yes it was, it did the same diagram yesterday too.

166219 has been on the booked turbo diagram on Exmouth to Paignton today and also was yesterday.

JN114

Established Member
166201 is on 1V39 today - presume it's at reading for maintenence.

As others have already effectively stated - it’s not for maintenance no. West Division operate their Turbo fleet wholly independently from Reading; they do all their own exams and so forth, likewise the Thames Valley Fleet should never need to visit Bristol for any work.

The LTV fleet is now 165101-165127 (excl 115) and 166201.

The West fleet is now 165128-165137 and 166202-166221.

I expect they’ll stay that way until the first 769s are out in Passenger service, at which point 166201 and the 165 3 cars will gradually go west.

Tommy Walters

Yes it was, it did the same diagram yesterday too.

166219 has been on the booked turbo diagram on Exmouth to Paignton today and also was yesterday.
I don't suppose you could point me towards a link for the Devon & Cornwall unit diagrams? Can't really find an info on that anywhere myself!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I don't suppose you could point me towards a link for the Devon & Cornwall unit diagrams? Can't really find an info on that anywhere myself!

I'm afraid they are not in the public domain but somebody on here who is an insider might be able to help but they have to be careful what information they divulge

REVUpminster

I'm waiting for Exeter depot to open in May to see what 166's go there permanently as what can they do at Bristol, re maintenance, that they will not be able to do at the new Exeter depot.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I believe it’s previously been stated in this thread that they will cycle down from St Phillips Marsh, and not be based at Exeter.

JN114

Established Member
I'm waiting for Exeter depot to open in May to see what 166's go there permanently as what can they do at Bristol, re maintenance, that they will not be able to do at the new Exeter depot.

It has been stated to you many times that no Turbos will be “based” at Exeter on a permanent basis.

Units will undergo daily servicing/fuelling there on a routine basis, but the Home Depot for all of the West Turbo fleet will remain as St Phillips Marsh, even in the West fleets expanded form once the 17 units eventually arrive from Thames Valley division.

REVUpminster

It has been stated to you many times that no Turbos will be “based” at Exeter on a permanent basis.

Units will undergo daily servicing/fuelling there on a routine basis, but the Home Depot for all of the West Turbo fleet will remain as St Phillips Marsh, even in the West fleets expanded form once the 17 units eventually arrive from Thames Valley division.
So GWR have wasted £56 million on a depot to service/refuel trains they are doing already. From what I have read Exeter was chosen for redevelopment because of the number of services that start and finish there.

Established Member
So GWR have wasted £56 million on a depot to service/refuel trains they are doing already. From what I have read Exeter was chosen for redevelopment because of the number of services that start and finish there.
It's been upgraded to do a lot of work it was never able to do before.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

No - heavy maintenance of the class 158s which also work off Exeter will in future be done at Exeter instead of SPM. Heavy maintenance of the 150s will also continue there.

You seem to be missing the point that all trains are different and generally need their own range of spare parts. That’s why they tend to have their Home Depot for heavy maintenance and only light servicing done at other depots. That way they don’t have to carry every single part for every single train at every single depot.

Rolling stock diagrams are constructed in such a way that trains cycle via their ‘home depot’ for heavy maintenance

Tommy Walters

I'm afraid they are not in the public domain but somebody on here who is an insider might be able to help but they have to be careful what information they divulge

That's completely understandable. I work in an industry where that's also the case.

Anyone know if a 158 is on that diagram again today? EDIT : 158957 is on that today.

Last edited:

REVUpminster

No - heavy maintenance of the class 158s which also work off Exeter will in future be done at Exeter instead of SPM. Heavy maintenance of the 150s will also continue there.

You seem to be missing the point that all trains are different and generally need their own range of spare parts. That’s why they tend to have their Home Depot for heavy maintenance and only light servicing done at other depots. That way they don’t have to carry every single part for every single train at every single depot.

Rolling stock diagrams are constructed in such a way that trains cycle via their ‘home depot’ for heavy maintenance
Maybe I am head of my time, but I read as 769's displace 165/166s west the 150s (older train) will go. The 769s are late so 150s going is late. It might just be a coincidence that GWR have 20 150s and 21 166s.

Apedlar12

165128 operated 5Z76 09:00 St Philips Marsh HSTD to Exeter St Davids earlier on today.

It is now on the crew training diagram between Exeter and Paignton.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Maybe I am head of my time, but I read as 769's displace 165/166s west the 150s (older train) will go. The 769s are late so 150s going is late. It might just be a coincidence that GWR have 20 150s and 21 166s.
It has been noted on these threads, only six weeks ago, only three pages back, partly in response to your own postings, that the 20 GWR 150s aren't going anywhere during the period of the direct award. The DfT were reported to want 10 150s to go to Northern but GWR were able to make a case for them to stay put.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gwr-class-165-166-turbo-diagrams.157030/page-31#post-5020636

20 150s and 21 166s have no connection. They are different in length, capacity and routes of operation. Some of the 166s need to operate Cardiff to Portsmouth. 150s are needed in Cornwall. One 165 / 166 can effectively replace 2 150s on some cycles.

Last edited:

REVUpminster

It has been noted on these threads, only six weeks ago, only three pages back, partly in response to your own postings, that the 20 GWR 150s aren't going anywhere during the period of the direct award. The DfT were reported to want 10 150s to go to Northern but GWR were able to make a case for them to stay put.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gwr-class-165-166-turbo-diagrams.157030/page-31#post-5020636

20 150s and 21 166s have no connection. They are different in length, capacity and routes of operation. Some of the 166s need to operate Cardiff to Portsmouth. 150s are needed in Cornwall. One 165 / 166 can effectively replace 2 150s on some cycles.
Where are they going to stable the 21 166s and the 165s that come west? Saw a 158 doing the shunt from platform 1 as a Turbo left platform 2 this afternoon. 158's not suitable on the Paignton- Exmouth run especially during term time and Summer Saturdays. Two 165s (4 cars) the other week did the school run to Torre.

Tommy Walters

Where are they going to stable the 21 166s and the 165s that come west? Saw a 158 doing the shunt from platform 1 as a Turbo left platform 2 this afternoon. 158's not suitable on the Paignton- Exmouth run especially during term time and Summer Saturdays. Two 165s (4 cars) the other week did the school run to Torre.
I think the reason why a 158 has been out is possibly down to the Barnstaple branch being closed beyond Crediton this week, and only 2 158s being needed there. It may have allowed Exeter Depot to catch up on maintenance requirements for the 150s.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

They will stable wherever their workings take them.

Apedlar12

I think the reason why a 158 has been out is possibly down to the Barnstaple branch being closed beyond Crediton this week, and only 2 158s being needed there. It may have allowed Exeter Depot to catch up on maintenance requirements for the 150s.
From what I have heard, the 158/9 on Exmouth to Paignton for the last few days has been out vice a booked 2 car 150 which has been causing capacity issues so the specific diagram is currently being strengthened...

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
As a matter of interest, is the Windsor branch diagram strengthened today given the likelihood of additional passengers travelling?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As a matter of interest, is the Windsor branch diagram strengthened today given the likelihood of additional passengers travelling?
Haven't people been discouraged from going to Windsor today? The event is within the grounds of the castle to which public aren't admitted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi.../guidance-for-the-period-of-national-mourning

The Government understands that this is a difficult and sad time for many, and that members of the public will wish to pay their respects. In order to protect each other and reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission we are asking the public not to visit Royal Residences or gather in public at this time, and to continue to follow all COVID-19 regulations in the place you reside. In particular, we respectfully ask that the public does not attempt to attend any events associated with the funeral of His Royal Highness.

The maximum level of strengthening is a 3-car 165 in any case.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

RPI

Established Member
Saw an internal memo that there would be 20 minute service today