• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
It certainly would, though I seem to recall that it would have sent some or all of the 150's off lease?
If the 769s did displace the 16 turbos then they would have gone to a mix of new services and short HST replacement. Originally 10 150/2s would have left but an increase in west services led to them being retained, the short HSTs were introduced to cover delays until the 769s would displace turbos. The 387 turbo cascade replaced 150/1s, 153s and 143s.

Now there are the TfW 158s available, which GWR are interested in.

Gunnislake and Looe have issues with the cardan shaft on 23m DMUs so have only been worked by 150s and 153.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
I’d need to have a fish around but I’m fairly sure solo 153s weren’t ever cleared for Gunnislake either.

The issue with 23m vehicles was the degree of rotation the bogies would undergo on the very tight curves beyond Bere Alstone - this would be more than the joint on the shaft from the engine to the final drive could tolerate; presenting a derailment risk.

Express380

I’d need to have a fish around but I’m fairly sure solo 153s weren’t ever cleared for Gunnislake either.

The issue with 23m vehicles was the degree of rotation the bogies would undergo on the very tight curves beyond Bere Alstone - this would be more than the joint on the shaft from the engine to the final drive could tolerate; presenting a derailment risk.
I've had a few down there while GWR still had then

AM9

Veteran Member
Haven't London Transport recently (or about to) laid some brand new third rail to Battersea ?
Yes, in tunnels about 20m below the surface, which means they are quite difficult for anybody to come across in a daily walk. In other words, (true) metro railways are atotally different case, - and by the way, all LU track is 4-rail so the voltage of any rail to ground is no more than 2/3 of an equivalent 3rd rail electrified line.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Gunnislake and Looe have issues with the cardan shaft on 23m DMUs so have only been worked by 150s and 153.
As others have pointed out, a 153 is a 23m vehicle. It is not the number of vehicles, or the overall length of the train, that is the issue, but the amount of pivioting the bogies have to do relative to the body. And that is the same for each vehicle of the train, whether it has one carriage or six.

Snow1964

Established Member
Now there are the TfW 158s available, which GWR are interested in.

TfW 158s are not available now, will be 2025 at the earliest (and that is if TfW doesn't keep them in interim to cover growth, which some Welsh ministers have suggested)

Towers

Established Member
Yes, in tunnels about 20m below the surface, which means they are quite difficult for anybody to come across in a daily walk. In other words, (true) metro railways are atotally different case, - and by the way, all LU track is 4-rail so the voltage of any rail to ground is no more than 2/3 of an equivalent 3rd rail electrified line.
Surely though any third rail is “quite difficult for anybody to come across in a daily walk”, unless their choice of walking location is rather questionable?! If the risk of LETHAL!!!o_Oo_Oo_O DC electrification is to staff finding themselves lineside and to trespassers, surely a tunnel makes little difference - plenty of the Urbex gang love a wander down somewhere like that!

Anyhow, we’re off topic here!

TfW 158s are not available now, will be 2025 at the earliest (and that is if TfW doesn't keep them in interim to cover growth, which some Welsh ministers have suggested)
TfW’s 150s will do just fine as a Plan B, then!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Surely though any third rail is “quite difficult for anybody to come across in a daily walk”, unless their choice of walking location is rather questionable?! If the risk of LETHAL!!!o_Oo_Oo_ODC electrification is to staff finding themselves lineside and to trespassers, surely a tunnel makes little difference - plenty of the Urbex gang love a wander down somewhere like that!

Anyhow, we’re off topic here!

TfW’s 150s will do just fine as a Plan B, then!
They'll be later half of 2024 as best case more likely to be 2025, as to fully release them requires the full 398 fleet in place on valleys routes and I believe some 756s but may be wrong.

On the point of the 398s is their depot also isn't complete.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
1. London Transport (as London Regional Transport, LRT) was abolished in 2000.
2. London Transport [sic] does not use third rail
3. The Battersea extension opened in September 2021 using fourth rail.
4. As already mentioned, the risk profile around third/fourth rail is very different for (tube) tunnel applications versus open sections.
I just knew I would get someone hooked on this post !!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This one has run its course now we feel.

If anyone wants to start a thread on any of the other things being discussed then please let us know and we’ll look at moving things if necessary.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.