• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coppercapped

Established Member
Would the 769s potentially mean direct Henley on Thames to Paddington fast trains again as opposed to the change that happened when the 387s came in.
Potentially - yes. In practice - no.

(In addition to the two off-peak Paddington - Reading - Didcot - ( and, it is to be hoped, Oxford) semi-fast trains Maidenhead will be served by four Crossrail trains per hour. Fitting in another train on the Reliefs will be very difficult and nobody would plan to run 100mph trains on the Mains.)

JN114

Established Member
Would the 769s potentially mean direct Henley on Thames to Paddington fast trains again as opposed to the change that happened when the 387s came in.

No, through trains to Henley are finished, permanently, as are Bourne End; and they were always were going to end with Crossrail. The 387s just enable the acceleration of their demise. The “through” loadings of the direct trains was very poor, particularly in the evenings - with most passengers preferring to leave Paddington 6 minutes earlier for the Frome, first stop Twyford and make the risky 3 minute connection onto the earlier branch service; usually missing it and ending up on the through train they could have gotten on at Paddington anyway.

JN114

Established Member
Does anyone one here know when the gwr 319s and or 769s will enter service?

The 319s will not enter passenger service (at least as 319s).

The first 769 is due for delivery in July at present, introduction into service should be shortly after then.

JN114

Established Member
The 2 “GWR” 319s on Reading TCD have been allowed to be panned up and moved on the depot under their own power for the first time today. Still some static familiarisation to complete but should be out and about on mainline driver training very soon.

FGW_DID

Established Member
The 2 “GWR” 319s on Reading TCD have been allowed to be panned up and moved on the depot under their own power for the first time today. Still some static familiarisation to complete but should be out and about on mainline driver training very soon.

[Sarcasm] Yaaaay :wub: [/Sarcasm]

Dren Ahmeti

Finally! :lol:

FGW_DID

Established Member
The next (and “final”) 2 Class 319 heading for GWR should be moving from Crewe - Reading on Mon 25th March.
319423 & 319439

3973EXL

Established Member
The next (and “final”) 2 Class 319 heading for GWR should be moving from Crewe - Reading on Mon 25th March.
319423 & 319439
0938 Crewe with 37884 2x319 just approaching Reading.

SWRtrain_fan

Does anyone know when these trains are due to be introduced on the Reading to Gatwick route? They were due to be introduced in early 2019, but it's now almost June.

JN114

Established Member
No 769s have been delivered yet. First delivery is still officially expected Summer 2019 for entry into service with December TT change.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Any news RE driver training?

There has been limited driver training carried out (nothing on mainline) using the 319s. Mainly depot staff / driver standards managers & those that will deliver the driver training.

leomartin125

I have spent months trying to fathom out this whole HEX and FLEX situation with GWR, and I have become increasingly clueless as to what is actually going on. To explain...

HEX 387's - Originally I thought the contract was with Bombardier Ilford to refurbish and fit the units with a new livery and ETCS for the tunnels, however the units are returning with a completely unfinished interior, as for the ETCS fitment, who knows if this has been complete either? The only certainty is the livery. If anyone can shed some light on this whole situation, I would be eternally grateful!

FLEX 319's - Four units have appeared at Reading TCD since last year, maybe earlier. I was under the impression, from what people had told me, that these were for depot familiarisation for when the finished 769's are delivered. I even asked Porterbrook themselves about the situation at this years RAIL Live event, and they confirmed this. However today, 319423 was dragged to Wolverton from Reading TCD... which doesn't make any sense given what the bloke from Porterbrook explicitly told me. Are these units destined for FLEX? If anyone could shed some light on this too, I would also be eternally grateful!

Leo

JN114

Established Member
HEX 387's - Originally I thought the contract was with Bombardier Ilford to refurbish and fit the units with a new livery and ETCS for the tunnels, however the units are returning with a completely unfinished interior, as for the ETCS fitment, who knows if this has been complete either? The only certainty is the livery. If anyone can shed some light on this whole situation, I would be eternally grateful!

The mods are being done in phases. Ilford only has so much room, so once the interior strip and relivery has been done they’re coming back to GWR to make room for other units to be done. ETCS has been fitted to one unit so far; this needs validation before they do the others. Validation requires engineering access to Heathrow branch, which is hard to come by ordinarily- never mind with both GWR and XR wanting such access in the near term.

FLEX 319's - Four units have appeared at Reading TCD since last year, maybe earlier. I was under the impression, from what people had told me, that these were for depot familiarisation for when the finished 769's are delivered. I even asked Porterbrook themselves about the situation at this years RAIL Live event, and they confirmed this. However today, 319423 was dragged to Wolverton from Reading TCD... which doesn't make any sense given what the bloke from Porterbrook explicitly told me. Are these units destined for FLEX? If anyone could shed some light on this too, I would also be eternally grateful!

Leo

It was early 2019 the 319s arrived at Reading for driver training. Issues raised by the union need to be addressed before they can go out on the Mainline. The number of 319s coming to Reading to aid the driver training programme was not specified; only that a number would be based at Reading for driver training before going for conversion later once the first 769s have been delivered. That hasn’t changed in itself, just the 769 delivery date has slipped.

They aren't getting a new interior, seat recovering at most.

Aren’t they? That’s completely at odds with everything we’ve been briefed on them so far, wouldn’t explain why the interiors have been completely gutted, and isn’t what bombardier have been contracted to do.

EDIT sorry it was December the first unit arrived, thread here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gwr-class-319-769-information-discussion.174866/

FGW_DID

Established Member

Yep, the 319s were delivered for staff familiarisation, i.e Fitters, depot drivers etc as well as mainline driver training. In fact there is some training runs in the pipeline, between Reading & Didcot in about a weeks time. As for 319423, it’s über broken! Thankfully it’s gone off to Wolverton and freed up some much needed space.

Status
Not open for further replies.