• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFast

There are four traction motors. Are you saying that three weren't enough?
There are four traction motors, yes, but it's only possible to isolate pairs of motors so if one develops a fault that requires isolation, then two motors are lost. I probably could have been clearer in that it was one pair that had been isolated leaving one pair operational, i.e., 50% power. Performance on one pair of motors is pretty dire, especially on any sort of gradient like the 1 in 100 leaving Guildford on the down Ash.

Reading low level line has been attempted from a standing start on one pair of motors a while ago - I can't remember the exact gradient (something severe like 1 in 35?) but that one very nearly didn't make it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
There are four traction motors, yes, but it's only possible to isolate pairs of motors so if one develops a fault that requires isolation, then two motors are lost. I probably could have been clearer in that it was one pair that had been isolated leaving one pair operational, i.e., 50% power. Performance on one pair of motors is pretty dire, especially on any sort of gradient like the 1 in 100 leaving Guildford on the down Ash.

Reading low level line has been attempted from a standing start on one pair of motors a while ago - I can't remember the exact gradient (something severe like 1 in 35?) but that one very nearly didn't make it.
On the last day of class 319s on Thameslink, one unit in a pair had a fault on AC so the other was towing it. That's broadly similar to one unit running on two motors. Lost about 10 minutes from Bedford to Farringdon. It was fine on DC and made up most of the delay en route to Brighton.

AM9

Veteran Member
On the last day of class 319s on Thameslink, one unit in a pair had a fault on AC so the other was towing it. That's broadly similar to one unit running on two motors. Lost about 10 minutes from Bedford to Farringdon. It was fine on DC and made up most of the delay en route to Brighton.
If it was a fast, the times would have presumed 100mph (or as near as a normal 319 could achieve) for much of the journey so that would make it difficult to keep to time.

Bikeman78

Established Member
If it was a fast, the times would have presumed 100mph (or as near as a normal 319 could achieve) for much of the journey so that would make it difficult to keep to time.
It was a standard off peak Bedford to Brighton schedule so yes it would have been limited stop south of Luton. Half power didn't seem to be a massive problem though it would have been different on slippery rails. If memory serves correctly the northbound run terminated at Farringdon and ran empty to Bedford. Fortunately for any cranks out that day, there were other sets running.

warwickshire

On Moderation
5Q74 dep 1032 37800 769923
Change off plan 5q74 is heading back to wolverton centre sidings at the momment due to tree on the line at oxford.
And line closed at banbury due to the high winds bringing down the roof onto the line from the network rail building there.

spark001uk

Established Member
To be fair there's a fair number of trees etc down. Total job stop been called on gwr now. Unsure whether that applies to non passenger workings over their network? I would assume it would be a safe decision to make.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Fully agree. My opinion is the movement shouldn't have happened anyway.
And the locomotives involved would have been far better used for Thunderbird and rescue duties
Also elsewhere a lot off roofs have been blown over onto track ie banbury. Preston and eastbourne according to other reports and sources.
Hopefully let's all and everyone have kept safe throughout today.

warwickshire

On Moderation

infobleep

Veteran Member
I saw a 769 parking in the sidings at Guildford station yesterday. 769936 was the train. Is this storm related as I don't remember seeing one here before?

Would it have needed someone to route conducted to the siding or would the driver sign the sidings?

Here are some photos showing the train in the siding. There was also another GWR turbo on the platform as no trains were running on the north downs line. At this point, no trains or even rail replacement buses were running anywhere to be fair. Well, not from Guildford.
20220219_125802.jpg20220219_125825.jpg20220219_125940.jpg20220219_125944.jpg20220219_130008.jpg

strimmer

I saw a 769 parking in the sidings at Guildford station yesterday. 769936 was the train. Is this storm related as I don't remember seeing one here before?

Would it have needed someone to route conducted to the siding or would the driver sign the sidings?

Here are some photos showing the train in the siding. There was also another GWR turbo on the platform as no trains were running on the north downs line. At this point, no trains or even rail replacement buses were running anywhere to be fair. Well, not from Guildford.
View attachment 110485View attachment 110486View attachment 110487View attachment 110488View attachment 110489
Post 1,498 explains the reason it's there.

TEW

Established Member
I believe at least some of the test train drivers do sign the sidings. The Class 37 which was used for the route learning for the 769 test trips had a few trips in there.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I believe at least some of the test train drivers do sign the sidings. The Class 37 which was used for the route learning for the 769 test trips had a few trips in there.
It isn't crewed by Colas any more though.

JN114

Established Member
Without wanting to put across as cavalier, in extenuating circumstances risk assessments and effectively verbally route conducting by signaller can be put into play to clear the line.

No GWR driver has driven a train in or out of those sidings in a great many years (some of the oldest hands may have done it in Thames / NSE days); but a safe method of working was agreed that saw the GWR senior driver manager driving the train able to take the train into Guildford UCS.

The hardest element was checking a 769 was actually allowed in the sidings - once that was confirmed it was all arranged between the driver and signaller with our senior controller’s blessing.

Originally it was considered only fit to be dragged by Loco because of the very low line speed out of Guildford UCS combined with steep gradient up Pinks Hill towards Wanborough - another 769 just wouldn’t have the grunt to drag one of its brothers up the hill with such a restricted start. It was then agreed to attempt to use a 769 to recover it Friday; but Eunice put paid to that.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Without wanting to put across as cavalier, in extenuating circumstances risk assessments and effectively verbally route conducting by signaller can be put into play to clear the line.

No GWR driver has driven a train in or out of those sidings in a great many years (some of the oldest hands may have done it in Thames / NSE days); but a safe method of working was agreed that saw the GWR senior driver manager driving the train able to take the train into Guildford UCS.

The hardest element was checking a 769 was actually allowed in the sidings - once that was confirmed it was all arranged between the driver and signaller with our senior controller’s blessing.

Originally it was considered only fit to be dragged by Loco because of the very low line speed out of Guildford UCS combined with steep gradient up Pinks Hill towards Wanborough - another 769 just wouldn’t have the grunt to drag one of its brothers up the hill with such a restricted start. It was then agreed to attempt to use a 769 to recover it Friday; but Eunice put paid to that.
Thanks for the interesting info. It made a change to see something different in the siding.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Any information please on when will 769923 be re moved from its temporary location off burton ot Wetmore sidings to reading. Ie rescheduled from Friday the 18th February 2022. due to the recent storm. AND unable to reach reading due to various issues.
Thank you.

3973EXL

Established Member
Any information please on when will 769923 be re moved from its temporary location off burton ot Wetmore sidings to reading. Ie rescheduled from Friday the 18th February 2022. due to the recent storm. AND unable to reach reading due to various issues.
Thank you.
Last two ex Wolverton were planned after the Water Orton block.
Planned delivery dates to Reading TCD:
947 28th Feb
944 4th March
Now there is 923 to move as well, I would not expect a move until 28th. 923 or 947, we will have to see.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Last two ex Wolverton were planned after the Water Orton block.

Now there is 923 to move as well, I would not expect a move until 28th. 923 or 947, we will have to see.
Thanks for the update.
Unless the unlikely they send it via the cross city then stechford and via leamington. However unless all 3 go next week as per water Orton blockade from the 28th onwards in very quick succession. However wait and see how this one turns out.

3973EXL

Established Member
STP 28/02 5Q74 1133 Burton - Reading dep 1126 57312 769923
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K06337/2022-02-28/detailed

STP 28/02 1133 Reading - Oxford Up CS Caped
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K03001/2022-02-28/detailed

VSTP 28/02 1300 Eastleigh Works - Reading TMD (should be Traincare Depot)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:17838/2022-02-28/detailed
Repeat of 25/08 - departed Works then returned and move Caped.

STP 28/02 1314 Oxford CS - Long Marston 769922
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K03002/2022-02-28/detailed

Last edited:

warwickshire

On Moderation
STP 28/02 5Q74 1133 Burton - Reading dep 1126 57312 769923
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K06337/2022-02-28/detailed

STP 28/02 1133 Reading - Oxford Up CS Caped
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K03001/2022-02-28/detailed

VSTP 28/02 1300 Eastleigh Works - Reading TMD (should be Traincare Depot)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:17838/2022-02-28/detailed
Repeat of 25/08 - departed Works then returned and move Caped.
Very good afternoon to confirm on time through Warwick 57312 took 769923 to reading from burton ot Wetmore.
769923 now with gwr at reading . Delayed from Friday 18th February due to the storms.
However only x2 left at wolverton works now. These moves are more or less ending.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
An involuntary visit (and stable until it can be rescued) for the 769 on test in the Loco siding at Redhill today which appears to have failed at Redhill today on its return trip from Gatwick.
1646071731491.png
[Screenshot from Open Train Times signalling diagram shows '4CAR' in Redhill Loco Sidings]

Status
Not open for further replies.