• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Am I right in saying these will be retaining shoes and pantographs and will operate dual-voltage?

Only DC in passenger service*

*Except a limited selection of services in the early mornings and late evenings to get the units to/from Reading TCD

aleggatta

It's also incorrect, because tri-mode should really mean electric feed, diesel generator and battery power, as per the 756.

[rant]
Whilst you may think it is incorrect from the set of restrictions that have been arbitrarily put on the definitions of 'modes', it is not incorrect to refer to them by the term that the owner has branded them, irrespective of technical accuracy. Frankly I don't care what they are defined as, they are a train, they could call it the new delorean and people would object because it lacked a nuclear fusion reactor. It doesn't matter, it could have kept the 319 class number if Porterbrook really wanted to. the constant bickering of 'it's this' and 'no its this' really makes forums boring! Agree to disagree and move on!
[/rant]

samuelmorris

Established Member
[rant]
Whilst you may think it is incorrect from the set of restrictions that have been arbitrarily put on the definitions of 'modes', it is not incorrect to refer to them by the term that the owner has branded them, irrespective of technical accuracy. Frankly I don't care what they are defined as, they are a train, they could call it the new delorean and people would object because it lacked a nuclear fusion reactor. It doesn't matter, it could have kept the 319 class number if Porterbrook really wanted to. the constant bickering of 'it's this' and 'no its this' really makes forums boring! Agree to disagree and move on!
[/rant]
Honestly, I don't care in the slightest. Since the question came up though, to me it seems more appropriate to go by how the rest of the industry label such things, rather than one particular example that differs.

adc82140

Established Member

*Except a limited selection of services in the early mornings and late evenings to get the units to/from Reading TCD

Are these units going on the Reading/Basingstokes as well? If they are, would they use AC from Reading West to Reading?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Are these units going on the Reading/Basingstokes as well? If they are, would they use AC from Reading West to Reading?
Yes, they will go on Reading to Basingstoke - I would expect use of AC from Reading West to Reading to be a bit to short a distance to bother with the traction changeover.

The other possibility for AC use would appear to be between Twyford and Reading on the last train back from Henley but again, perhaps they won't bother.

Fuzzytop

Even on the Basingstokes? I suppose Reading West - Reading - Reading West probably isn't really worth stopping the gensets for?

Bob Price

Not sure how dynamic the switch from genset to pantograph is. I know they can do it pretty quick between PG and shoe.

Remember the Basingstokes generally wait in Reading over 15 minutes, which would make the switch to AC a lot more worthwhile (especially as otherwise they'd be the only diesels in Reading other than XC)

DelW

Established Member
IIRC it was said much earlier in this thread (or possibly one of the other 769 threads) that the North Downs units would run on diesel throughout, as they couldn't switch between DC and diesel on the move. If that's correct, it would suggest Basingstoke services would run on diesel throughout as well. It would be regrettable, since as well as increasing the diesel presence at Reading, North Downs units are the only (passenger) diesels at Guildford, Redhill and Gatwick, all of which have third rail available of course.

(Edit: of course there are also XC Voyagers at Guildford, but only two per day)

Fincra5

Established Member
IIRC it was said much earlier in this thread (or possibly one of the other 769 threads) that the North Downs units would run on diesel throughout, as they couldn't switch between DC and diesel on the move. If that's correct, it would suggest Basingstoke services would run on diesel throughout as well. It would be regrettable, since as well as increasing the diesel presence at Reading, North Downs units are the only (passenger) diesels at Guildford, Redhill and Gatwick, all of which have third rail available of course.

(Edit: of course there are also XC Voyagers at Guildford, but only two per day)

Seems to he the current plan. The idea was to use 3rd Rail, at least, between Redhill and Gatwick. But Sussex Electrical Control (don't know their actual term) aren't pleased. They're worried about any more 3rd Rail Trains on the current supplies.

reddragon

Established Member
Seems to he the current plan. The idea was to use 3rd Rail, at least, between Redhill and Gatwick. But Sussex Electrical Control (don't know their actual term) aren't pleased. They're worried about any more 3rd Rail Trains on the current supplies.

My understanding is that they'd use the 3rd rail from Reading to Wokingham and from Reigate to Redhill and Gatwick. Someone not being happy doesn't stop thing happening.

The Ash to Guildford section can only be used by the stoppers as the 3rd rail has no run off ramps on the line to Wokingham or at Shalford.

AM9

Veteran Member
My understanding is that they'd use the 3rd rail from Reading to Wokingham and from Reigate to Redhill and Gatwick. Someone not being happy doesn't stop thing happening. ...
Although, failures of inadequate power supplies will.

Fincra5

Established Member
Although, failures of inadequate power supplies will.

Exactly! The power supply needs upgrading. I'm not sure if its happening or not, NR seem to be building substations from TP Huts all the time! New one popped up South Side of East Croydon...

Class455

Established Member
Apologies if this has been reported already but Today's Railways reports that 319445 and 319452 are no longer joining the GWR fleet, their places are being taken by 319444 and ex Northern 319446. Doesn't surprise me that 319452 isn't joining the fleet, given that it has been stored since January 2017

St. Paddy

Apologies if this has been reported already but Today's Railways reports that 319445 and 319452 are no longer joining the GWR fleet, their places are being taken by 319444 and ex Northern 319446. Doesn't surprise me that 319452 isn't joining the fleet, given that it has been stored since January 2017
They’re both converted to 769s and already delivered to Cardiff

Roger B

They’re both converted to 769s and already delivered to Cardiff

Thanks St Paddy. I'm not sure which two you referring to that have already been converted into 769s - 445/452, or 444/446. Be great if you could clarify, please.

Melancholia

Looks like the first 769 delivery to GWR didn't fancy appearing this week :lol:

Is there a new date quoted for its arrival?

Ladder23

Established Member
I see a photo today of a ROG 769 in livery, looking fantastic,

but I cannot find info as to where, when these will run etc?

_toommm_

Established Member
thanks i just managed to find the info!

This is quite interesting:

“What we’re considering at the moment is coupling ‘319s’ to ‘769s’ on operations which require eight-car or 12-car capacity. The idea is that all units are powered up under the wires but, when transitioning onto a non-electrified route, the ‘319’ completely powers down and the ‘769s’ then act as a ‘tractor’ unit for the ‘319’.

“These routes are typically lower-speed routes and the ‘769s’ have sufficient ‘grunt’ to haul the dead ‘319’.”

The 319s are already quite slow, and there'll be a small degradation in power on diesel of course. Unless they're planning on having two 769s hauling a single 319, which might be doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.