• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleggatta

The plan was always to have Shoe Gear to be used "where possible"... And yes they only had one set on the front bogies of each Driving Car. See Here
I remember it being mentioned initially, but I also remember speculation to the opposite with various reasons leaving it a relative unknown with conflicting information

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Would the 769s potentially mean direct Henley on Thames to Paddington fast trains again as opposed to the change that happened when the 387s came in.

No, no paths available now.

And I believe, to answer the shoe gear question, that the shoegear will now be on the training bogie of each car.

supervc-10

As in the inner bogie? I thought that most 3rd rail stock had the shoes on the outermost bogies, to minimise issues in gaps on the conductor rail? I could be wrong though of course!

big all

On Moderation
never a good idea to have the shoes remote to the driver
if a shoe fuse blows the other end the driver makes sure he won't get gapped with the front shoe now place the shoe 18 or 19metres away more chance off it going wrong :rolleyes:

Fincra5

Established Member
As in the inner bogie? I thought that most 3rd rail stock had the shoes on the outermost bogies, to minimise issues in gaps on the conductor rail? I could be wrong though of course!

They do appear to have been moved from the outer bogie of the DTS to the Inner!

I remember it being mentioned initially, but I also remember speculation to the opposite with various reasons leaving it a relative unknown with conflicting information

Well GWR want to run it on 3rd Rail in places, like Gatwick to Redhill/ Reigate but on the NR side, the Electrical Control aren't pleased at adding more 3rd Rail Stock! That might have been sorted now.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
never a good idea to have the shoes remote to the driver
if a shoe fuse blows the other end the driver makes sure he won't get gapped with the front shoe now place the shoe 18 or 19metres away more chance off it going wrong :rolleyes:

In which case he presses the diesel button and away he goes.

Domh245

Established Member
I'm curious about the rationale for moving the shoegear to the trailing bogie. Presumably it's been done to simplify and shorten the electrical arrangement on the DC side - no need to run the 750v bus past the engine, fuel tank, and alternator etc, but would appreciate if anyone could confirm

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm curious about the rationale for moving the shoegear to the trailing bogie. Presumably it's been done to simplify and shorten the electrical arrangement on the DC side - no need to run the 750v bus past the engine, fuel tank, and alternator etc, but would appreciate if anyone could confirm

That could well be the reason. Looking at the 387 fleet for a moment, they seem to have shoes on both bogies too.

Phillipimo

IMG_20200810_173938.jpg
I got a rushed snap of 319428 and a classmate outside Crewe depot this evening. They look very smart but I didn't get a good look at the interior.

Bob Price

Another 319 left Crewe today headed for Loughborough Brush towed by 57312. Don't know which unit

Charles Lagoon

On Moderation
769943 running to PAD as 5Z89 23:28 Reading TCD - Paddington tonight.

Then doing two trips to Greenford to test platform and gauge interface.

Moderator note: This post is incorrect

Last edited by a moderator:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
769943 running to PAD as 5Z89 23:28 Reading TCD - Paddington tonight.

Then doing two trips to Greenford to test platform and gauge interface.

I know I have been on leave for a week but that's a new one on me and I have been the person sorting out the route clearance!

They are not cleared on v.5 of the SOC for going east of Maidenhead or onto the Greenford branch and there are no plans to use them on the Greenfords - they don't fit!

JN114

Established Member
You won't get a 769 behind GE29 in the bay at Greenford - there's some room vs a 2 car 165 but not that much!

I'm in the big chair tonight, and it's certainly nothing I've been told about - and when we do test runs like this there's normally a few emails and briefing stuff that come out beforehand so we know what's going on - the recent 387 AIR trips along the Heathrow Branch being a clear example of this in recent times.

FGW_DID

Established Member
***Complete & utter wibble alert***

As per what JN114 has just said. I'm in the control at Reading TCD. 769943 ain't going anywhere for a while.
So basically GWR HQ don't know about it, Control don't know about and the TCD don't know about it!

@Charles Lagoon - You need to find a better gen source fella!

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Maidenhead to Didcot/Swindon is the route on which the diesel/AC FFR (Fault Free Running) is likely to take place with the DC FFR on the SWML with either Basingstoke-Eastleigh or Basingstoke-Woking being the sections discussed with NR.

All lines on which passenger use is contemplated will have full test runs for station validation purposes. But first there has to be engineering staff training before anything moves off depot, either for testing, validation runs or driver training.

Status
Not open for further replies.