• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.o.R

930 Seems to be sporting something new on it's cab roof. (Not my photo)

Interesting to see they've replaced the headlight modules (the white markers have been removed and combined into red/white dual-colour LED markers). Still think the modules look better in black though :)

Are they making use of the juice rail where present? Does it use a manual power changeover?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Track beacons or similar then, or the absence of power through the shoes to turn on the diesels?

Ah no I misread the way you’d worded your question.

It is manual, there’s no automation of changeovers.

FGW_DID

Established Member
5Q74 37884 dep Wolverton 1100. Q schedule not called until 1055.

Should be 769937 on 5Q74 with 37884.
769943 is on 3O10 Reading TCD > Gatwick > Oxford.
769930 is on 5Q08 Reading TCD > Oxford
769946 is on 5Q09 Oxford > Eastleigh

The_Train

Established Member
Should be 769937 on 5Q74 with 37884.
Thanks for these updates :)
Any confirmation on 937 being dragged to Reading? And I presume 946 is off to Eastleigh for store to free up space at Reading?

Deepgreen

Established Member
This was 943 passing Brockham, near Dorking today on crew training/mileage accumulation/testing or whatever the runs actually are. I assume the cab roof addition is a camera.
DSC00771 (1)a.jpeg

JN114

Established Member
This was 943 passing Brockham, near Dorking today on crew training/mileage accumulation/testing or whatever the runs actually are. I assume the cab roof addition is a camera.
View attachment 104082

No it’s an IR bridge to allow transmission of SDO / DOO Camera data between units; as the existing electrical connectors on the coupler do not have sufficient free pins.

Deepgreen

Established Member
BTW, I notice that the wrongly-applled Zone 1 - 4 markers on the EB platform at Dorking West (applied in reverse order!) remain un-corrected. Presumably, as the system is unlikely ever to be used in reality, it doesn't matter!

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for that - always forget to check Flickr!
Do we know what worked these then:
Presumably one unit to Eastleigh (946 as suggested above?) and then another returning from Eastleigh to Reading (which I would presume to be 928 if my records are correct?)?

3973EXL

Established Member
Thanks for that - always forget to check Flickr!
Do we know what worked these then:

Presumably one unit to Eastleigh (946 as suggested above?) and then another returning from Eastleigh to Reading (which I would presume to be 928 if my records are correct?)?

First hand confirmation from Reading Depot has already been posted.

As far as the Eastleigh / Reading ones - yes. Don’t know anything about the others.
928 was only one at EH.
943 appears to have worked Reading - Gatwick - Reading - Gatwick and finished at Reading.

FGW_DID

Established Member
This morning I sent out 769943 to Gatwick (0915 3O10) on the mileage accumulation run which should have finished at Oxford but apparently the driver couldn’t take it to Oxford so it has come back to the TCD (yeah!). COMFIRMED
930 went out at 1133 (5Q08) to move to Oxford. CONFIRMED
938 has finished Acceptance exam and is now in the yard at Reading TCD. CONFIRMED
769937 arrived from Wolverton (5Q74 with 37884) CONFIRMED

in the meantime 946 worked from Oxford to Eastleigh (5Q09) Not confirmed but that was the planned unit!
I’m waiting for confirmation what worked 5Q10 from Eastleigh to Reading TCD. it should be 928 as that was the only one down at Eastleigh!

Edit: Allegedly 769959 was the unit that came back from Eastleigh to Reading TCD!!! I will confirm when I go in tomorrow am. - 16/10 confirmed it is 769959.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
BTW, I notice that the wrongly-applled Zone 1 - 4 markers on the EB platform at Dorking West (applied in reverse order!) remain un-corrected. Presumably, as the system is unlikely ever to be used in reality, it doesn't matter!

When you say wrongly applied; are they actually wrong, IE announcing/on screens as one thing and different on the platform; or are they just illogically applied?

There are many, many stations across the network that do NOT have the zones in order for nominal direction of travel; for a variety of good reasons when you look at the big picture.

If they’re actually wrong; have you raised this with GWR?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
So I take it the class 769 conversion line is complete at the Wabtec (Brush) site at Loughborough and presumably the 768/326 work for ROG will be undertaken at Wabtec Doncaster.

FGW_DID

Established Member
So I take it the class 769 conversion line is complete at the Wabtec (Brush) site at Loughborough and presumably the 768/326 work for ROG will be undertaken at Wabtec Doncaster.
No idea, it would appear that all the GWR ones are done and if not delivered to Reading, are now (mostly) at Wolverton.

There is a thread for the ROG conversions:

Deepgreen

Established Member
When you say wrongly applied; are they actually wrong, IE announcing/on screens as one thing and different on the platform; or are they just illogically applied?

There are many, many stations across the network that do NOT have the zones in order for nominal direction of travel; for a variety of good reasons when you look at the big picture.

If they’re actually wrong; have you raised this with GWR?
May I put it like this - every other Redhill-bound platform on the route has Zone 1 at the front (eastern) end, and Zone 4 at the back. Dorking West has this regime reversed, so I can only surmise that it is wrong, yes. However, given that the zone system is unlikely to be of any use whatsover on the route, I haven't wasted my time complaining to GWR, especially given that their responses to various other issues I have raised in the past have been so banal (written by people who not only display no grasp of anything to do with railways, but who can seemingly also barely type) that they make the process pointless.

DelW

Established Member
Presumably the zonal system is being installed because GWR think that North Downs passengers will be completely unable to cope with the astonishing concept of four-car trains - such things having been unknown on the line since sometime in the steam era.

Will the 769s have first class? Its provision on the Turbos has been so hit and miss over recent years, I can rarely remember what the current rules are when I use the route. Is it still supposed to be in use on the Gatwicks but declassified on the Redhills?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will the 769s have first class? Its provision on the Turbos has been so hit and miss over recent years, I can rarely remember what the current rules are when I use the route. Is it still supposed to be in use on the Gatwicks but declassified on the Redhills?
Yes, the 769s have a first class area.

All journeys on the North Downs line are currently advertised as having first class regardless of their destination.

There isn't any first class on services where a 2-car unit is used.

Presumably the zonal system is being installed because GWR think that North Downs passengers will be completely unable to cope with the astonishing concept of four-car trains - such things having been unknown on the line since sometime in the steam era.
The zonal system is in use elsewhere on GWR's network so it is not really a surprise if it is being extended. Even if the units aren't that long it is still useful to know where the universal toilet, bike space and first class are located.

For example, see the following that includes a diagram of each train calling at Dorking Deepdene https://tiger.worldline.global/DEPDENE/cisds;graphic=1

Last edited:

800 Driver

Yes, the 769s have a first class area.

All journeys on the North Downs line are currently advertised as having first class regardless of their destination.

There isn't any first class on services where a 2-car unit is used.

The zonal system is in use elsewhere on GWR's network so it is not really a surprise if it is being extended. Even if the units aren't that long it is still useful to know where the universal toilet, bike space and first class are located.

For example, see the following that includes a diagram of each train calling at Dorking Deepdene https://tiger.worldline.global/DEPDENE/cisds;graphic=1
Nah - 1st class will be declassified as there is no wheelchair accessible zone in the 1st class and the one toilet on the train is not wheelchair accessible from the existing 1st class area

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Nah - 1st class will be declassified as there is no wheelchair accessible zone in the 1st class and the one toilet on the train is not wheelchair accessible from the existing 1st class area
The units in full livery appear to have both a yellow line and a big "1" the front, as well as prominent coach lettering.

800 Driver

Hearing from multiple sources that the 769s have failed their fault free running and the project has been put back at least 12 months .....

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hearing from multiple sources that the 769s have failed their fault free running and the project has been put back at least 12 months .....
What does that even mean? The units can't fail individual fault free running as a class. It is already 32 months since they were first meant to be introduced and well over 12 months from the date in the direct award.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

That doesn’t make any sense.

Fault free running is specific to the unit being accepted, not the class as a whole. The class authorisation is done through the NR type acceptance programme which, unless GWR have recently discovered an EMC or another serious issue to effectively negate it, has already been completed.

Recent delays to the programme have been mainly around ASLEF not accepting the units as fit for their members. The cab seats and desks have been the latest areas of contention.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That'll come as a bit of a shock to Southern, SouthEastern, SWR, (etc), who all have units with first class without wheelchair accessible areas or Universal access toilets
I was just thinking this problem doesn’t seem very unusual in the area they operate in. They only recently converted 127 x 450s to move the first class so as to cause this issue…

FGW_DID

Established Member
Today‘s runs were undertaken by 769959 which, at the end got punted off to Oxford Sidings vice Reading TCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.