• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Isn't 769 426 for TfW still at Loughborough?

No idea, maybe ask on the TFW 769 thread:

Mollman

Established Member
Hearing from multiple sources that the 769s have failed their fault free running and the project has been put back at least 12 months .....
What your sources might mean is that the target for completing fault free running on x number of units has not been met, thus the timetable change they were meant to be part of is being put back by a year.

Deepgreen

Established Member
No surprise to hear of yet another major delay, but the supposed refurbishment of Turbos from this autumn/winter may thus lead to some cancellations. What a saga. One wouldn't think a very successful electro-diesel design was introduced in the 1960s!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A blessing in disguise if the introduction is deferred a few more months as it wouldn't have been good to introduce them in leaf fall season or the winter months, given the issues the relevant lines already suffer from in the autumn and winter.

Deepgreen

Established Member
A blessing in disguise if the introduction is deferred a few more months as it wouldn't have been good to introduce them in leaf fall season or the winter months, given the issues the relevant lines already suffer from in the autumn and winter.
On that basis, will they be withdrawn each autumn? The issues won't go away. In any case, they had been planned for introduction in December, pretty much after the leaf fall season.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On that basis, will they be withdrawn each autumn? The issues won't go away. In any case, they had been planned for introduction in December, pretty much after the leaf fall season.
No, of course not, but it would be better for any train fleet if its first autumn or winter is after it has had some period of operation in more benign conditions.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It will also delay the cascade of 165s going West

fgwrich

Established Member
It will also delay the cascade of 165s going West
That's no surprise. The original proposals really did see GWR placing all it's eggs into one basket, and everything cascaded since has not gone without an issue or delay - it's no wonder reliability is poor with the West Fleet when it's worked so hard!

Deepgreen

Established Member
No, of course not, but it would be better for any train fleet if its first autumn or winter is after it has had some period of operation in more benign conditions.
I don't think it makes any difference - 'bedding in' during summer doesn't change a train's leaf fall performance, etc. In any case, as I said, they would have come in after leaf fall this year but now it looks like it'll be at the same time the following year.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I don't think it makes any difference - 'bedding in' during summer doesn't change a train's leaf fall performance, etc. In any case, as I said, they would have come in after leaf fall this year but now it looks like it'll be at the same time the following year.
No, it won't change the leaf fall performance when that time comes, but it might mean that delays in the bedding in period are more closely aligned to the train's own issues rather than external factors.

If we are to take 'twelve months late' as suggesting that they now won't be in use until September 2022, two years after the direct award timetable, and introduced over the period between then and May 2023 then I guess yes, they could be introduced during the leaf fall period. Is that really what '800 driver' is suggesting. If so, it seems rather pessimistic from where they are at present.

Deepgreen

Established Member
No, it won't change the leaf fall performance when that time comes, but it might mean that delays in the bedding in period are more closely aligned to the train's own issues rather than external factors.

If we are to take 'twelve months late' as suggesting that they now won't be in use until September 2022, two years after the direct award timetable, and introduced over the period between then and May 2023 then I guess yes, they could be introduced during the leaf fall period. Is that really what '800 driver' is suggesting. If so, it seems rather pessimistic from where they are at present.
I took it to mean that their Dec 2021 introduction would go back 12 months to Dec 2022. I don't think it's possible to be too pessimistic about the progress of these units!

FenMan

Established Member
It'll be a race against time between the introduction of GWR's 769s into service and Network Rail fixing the issue at the Redhill siding so the 2234 Reading - Gatwick is restored to the North Downs timetable.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I took it to mean that their Dec 2021 introduction would go back 12 months to Dec 2022. I don't think it's possible to be too pessimistic about the progress of these units!
I imagine that is the wrong conclusion. What circumstances could lead to it taking fourteen months from the current point of progress to their first entry into passenger service?

(It might conceivably be December 2022 by the time the last one enters service but the first seems somewhat pessimistic.)

Deepgreen

Established Member
I imagine that is the wrong conclusion. What circumstances could lead to it taking fourteen months from the current point of progress to their first entry into passenger service?

(It might conceivably be December 2022 by the time the last one enters service but the first seems somewhat pessimistic.)
As I said, I find it hard to be too pessimistic about the 769s' progress! I imagine, too, that they would be introduced en bloc rather than one at a time so a new timetable wouldn't consist of a mixture of Turbos and 769s.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I imagine, too, that they would be introduced en bloc rather than one at a time so a new timetable wouldn't consist of a mixture of Turbos and 769s.
That is nigh on impossible to do - there isn't the siding space for that to be practical and the 165s appear to be required elsewhere. The timetable is already set up around 769 operation.

Goldfish62

Established Member

I'm sure everyone would have said that about the 701s. They first arrived for testing in June 2020 with anticipated service entry later in the year. As of today none have passed fault-free testing and they are apparently requiring numerous modifications on top of the ones that already been done. After missing several service entry dates SWR have now given given up making any predictions.

DownFast

I imagine, too, that they would be introduced en bloc rather than one at a time so a new timetable wouldn't consist of a mixture of Turbos and 769s.
No, the latest plan is for one unit diagram per day to begin with, with a single return trip Reading to Gatwick in passenger service, followed by ECS for driver training for the remainder of the diagram. Two units are being pencilled in for this first diagram, 769930 and 769946.

Further diagrams will be introduced as and when units are available and drivers competent.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The timetable is already set up around 769 operation.
Isn’t that why they show as “trailing load 769 tonnes” in RTT?

I’m sure there were long discussions about the timetable being rewritten in 2020;
it’s probably in the other thread about the 3 tph North Downs service…

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No, the latest plan is for one unit diagram per day to begin with, with a single return trip Reading to Gatwick in passenger service, followed by ECS for driver training for the remainder of the diagram. Two units are being pencilled in for this first diagram, 769930 and 769946.

Further diagrams will be introduced as and when units are available and drivers competent.
Starting when, sorry?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.