• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800 - the first service train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm not surprised. You must be shattered after the early start! It's interesting to see what they look like on the inside, and it'll be interesting to compare them with VTEC's units when they finally enter service.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Very long day! I was up at 4am, did this, then went to work, and once I got home edited this and only finished at 11pm!

They’re nice and solid but I really wish they had slightly less bright lighting.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what it is about GWR and excessive lighting :(

It does rather spoil the ambience and the windows are quite reflective from the inside.

I much prefer a warmer off-white. It's more cosy and invokes comfort and calm. The brilliant whites are a little too sterile. No danger of falling asleep!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I much prefer a warmer off-white. It's more cosy and invokes comfort and calm. The brilliant whites are a little too sterile. No danger of falling asleep!

I agree, the Pendolino's subdued lighting with personal reading lights is to me the best we have in the UK. Though many disagree of course. The Class 350 lighting is probably a reasonable balance between the two views - bright, but not *too* bright.

If you're using daylight white it works best if quite subdued, like the Irish DMUs.

mallard

Established Member
Considering how obviously reliable these "miracles of new technology" that make "disruptive" modernisation of railways "unnecessary" are, I suggest a new nickname for the as-yet-unnamed GWR IEP fleet: "Graylings". Goes perfectly with VTEC's "Ass-zoomers".

Seriously; the first run, with dignitaries on board and obvious press attention, using units that will have had a bunch of special attention to ensure they're up to it (at least they should have; pretty incompetent not to give them a final checkout before such an important event) and they utterly fail. Even the press launch of the APT went better. Postponing the launch a couple of weeks/months would have been a better start.

Given that one of the major faults was with the air conditioning, the state of the ridiculously bright lighting and the continued use of "leather" (the standard for train seating seems to be extremely cheap/thin leather coated in such a thick layer of lamination/protection that they may as well be plastic) seating in first class, it's obvious how seriously passenger comfort has been taken with these things.

And this is what the D(a)fT want to inflict on the trans-pennine and midland routes now that they've cancelled any prospect of moving beyond 1950s technology...

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Why is the service today showing such excessive dwell times at Swindon and Didcot? is there a problem with loading/unloading

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Funny enough, I actually walked past Grayling this morning! (I work along Millbank and walk past Parliament on my way in). I did chuckle a bit.

The seats in First aren't leather, they're upholstered in some sort of hard wearing fabric. I must say I found them very comfortable, though I was disappointed by the lighting and the preposterous situation where three premium First Class seats have no window at all - horrendously claustrophobic. They ought to have put a small luggage rack in the blank space. Aside from that I thought the train was better than I expected.

I expected it to be a bit nasty and plastic (like the Javelins). However, it's very solid. The square profile of the interior makes it seem visually strong, and all the fittings got the "knock" test. Nothing rattled or vibrated and it felt like it was built like a tank - how long that lasts is another question, but impressions were the build quality, air con issues, aside, was very high.

It's a very quiet train and there are none of the irritiating vibrations you'd get on a Voyager.

I'd say reserve judgement until you travel on one and "feel" the train for yourself.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I expected it to be a bit nasty and plastic (like the Javelins). However, it's very solid. The square profile of the interior makes it seem visually strong, and all the fittings got the "knock" test. Nothing rattled or vibrated and it felt like it was built like a tank - how long that lasts is another question, but impressions were the build quality, air con issues, aside, was very high.

The 350/1s are now over 10 years old and have very few if any rattles, indeed apart from the filthy carpets and threadbare seat covers the interior is basically as new. I see no reason why the 800s shouldn't be the same.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Useful video from AlterEgo, thanks. First time I've been on this forum. I wish you could have stayed a bit more on the 'windowless' seats, as it would have been good to have got an impression of sitting in one. Did you notice whether paper tissues were available in the loo (either first or second)?.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Useful video from Alterego, thanks. First time I've been on this forum. I wish you could have stayed a bit more on the 'windowless' seats, as it would have been good to have got an impression of sitting in one. Did you notice whether paper tissues were available in the loo (either first or second)?.

No paper tissues that I could see - though there is toilet roll of course.

Incredibly, some people - through choice - sat in those seats at Bath Spa, meaning I couldn't film them when I wanted to.

I expect it's really claustrophobic sitting there though.

pdeaves

Established Member
Nothing rattled or vibrated and it felt like it was built like a tank - how long that lasts is another question, but impressions were the build quality, air con issues, aside, was very high.

For the record, of the two units in which I travelled yesterday, one had a rattly vestibule ceiling. It seemed to rattle only at certain frequencies (as opposed to all the time) and could be muted temporarily by pushing up on it. It was then silent until it resettled. I agree with your other comments, though.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
For the record, of the two units in which I travelled yesterday, one had a rattly vestibule ceiling. It seemed to rattle only at certain frequencies (as opposed to all the time) and could be muted temporarily by pushing up on it. It was then silent until it resettled. I agree with your other comments, though.

I assume this was under diesel power?

I remember the Pendos used to have terrible vibration issues, mostly because the blinds and soffits were poorly fitted.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Thanks. I am not sure it is such a bind to sit in the windowless seats. If you want to work or study (the wifi on the IEP is good AIUI) then such a seat is nice and private and you are handy for the exit.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thanks. I am not sure it is such a bind to sit in the windowless seats. If you want to work or study (the wifi on the IEP is good AIUI) then such a seat is nice and private and you are handy for the exit.

That sliding door isn't an exit - it leads into the kitchen/food prep area (Like Coach K on the Pendos). I expect it'll be used as the Pullman restaurant when it starts running on those services.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
They’re nice and solid but I really wish they had slightly less bright lighting.
It does rather spoil the ambience and the windows are quite reflective from the inside.

Shame to read about the lighting.

A train interior is not an operating theatre, forensics lab or semiconductor factory, and so doesn't need to be lit as if it were one!

jimm

Established Member
Incredibly, some people - through choice - sat in those seats at Bath Spa, meaning I couldn't film them when I wanted to.

I expect it's really claustrophobic sitting there though.

On my journey from Didcot to Paddington, one pair of these seats was occupied by a girl who had wedged herself across them for a snooze, while another was being used by a woman who didn't look up from her laptop until we reached London. They have their uses.

HowardGWR

Established Member
My misunderstanding about the end where the windowless seats are, gave me the thought for another possible benefit besides those which jimm has just described. If you are at the dead end, you don't have people walking past to visit the loo, etc, either! :D

simple simon

Here is the 11:45 Paddington - Swansea later that day...

btw something that I decided to not include in my film was my getting a finger caught in the internal door when it fully opened after the lady walked through it.

Simon

edit to add: a few errors crept into my first version of this film so it has been replaced with a second edit.

Last edited:

Skie

I remember the Pendos used to have terrible vibration issues, mostly because the blinds and soffits were poorly fitted.

Only stopped being an issue due to passengers wedging copious amounts of paper (remember that free virgin magazine? Only thing it was good for!) into the rattly bits of plastic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.