• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
I am rather tired of people's opinions being used as factual statements, especially when the 800s are already proving to be more reliable than the HSTs they replace
Well, I'm in my first one right now, Cardiff to Paddington. Peak period departure. Short formed 5 instead of 10, so much for reliability. Also this apparently meant they could not put up reservations at all in the remaining coaches, although my coach is here. Will be interesting to see how we get on leaving Swindon with people boarding with reserved seats.

I saw the preceding HST just leave as I arrived, it looked fine.

Interior is clinical, there a screw fallen out of a screw hole alongside me, looking across it seems several are so. The seats look stained and filthy, far more so than any stock I am used to. Whoever decided on a pale single colour for seats?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northernbelle

Well, I'm in my first one right now, Cardiff to Paddington. Peak period departure. Short formed 5 instead of 10, so much for reliability. Also this apparently meant they could not put up reservations at all in the remaining coaches, although my coach is here. Will be interesting to see how we get on leaving Swindon with people boarding with reserved seats.

I saw the preceding HST just leave as I arrived, it looked fine.

Interior is clinical, there a screw fallen out of a screw hole alongside me, looking across it seems several are so. The seats look stained and filthy, far more so than any stock I am used to. Whoever decided on a pale single colour for seats?

It is a fact that GWR's HSTs have more failures per mile than its 800s. Read the MTIN figures. I appreciate this doesn't make it right that your train is 5 vice 10 though. My comment is about HST apologists who seem to base some of their arguments on anecdote.

The pale grey seats are the 'off the shelf' DfT specification. GWR is having them all changed to its own specification as it is well aware of the cleaning issues with them. Again, I appreciate it doesn't make it right!

HSTFan57

I've just had my first couple of longish journeys on 800s between Bristol Parkway and Paddington. I like the quicker acceleration compared to HSTs, particularly when powered by the overhead lines. I hope they will be better at recovering from delays than slow-accelerating HSTs, and coping with slippery rails. Legroom is good. The seat bases are a bit too firm, and already looking tatty. Reservation displays are better than those on Voyagers, but seem unreliable.

Once all the wires are energised between Bristol and London, and the seat bases have been fixed, I won't have much reason to miss HSTs.

Taunton

Established Member
Well I suppose we should be grateful for the WiFi ... this failed on entry to the Severn Tunnel and never came back until Swindon.

The difference in acceleration rate on leaving Didcot once on the electric was noticeable.

We have slowly but steadily been losing time, a minute at a time, for no particular reason, from the bottom of the Severn Tunnel we are 6 minutes down at Reading.

The aircon fan noise is I think the most intrusive of any I recall on a train. But they work. It's noticeably cold in here.

Whoever decided to place the seat legs of the face-to-back seats right where the window seat passenger seated behind would normally place their feet, so you have to sit twisted. That really is a Design School 1.01 error.

Taunton

Established Member
My one remaining question, on arrival at Paddington the underfloor diesels were running. Having been on electric from Didcot, why would that be?

JN114

Established Member
My one remaining question, on arrival at Paddington the underfloor diesels were running. Having been on electric from Didcot, why would that be?

Had you definitely been on Electric? How did you come to the conclusion that you were on Electric from Didcot?

A number of sets are running Diesel Only mode for various reasons.

Warwick

Well I suppose we should be grateful for the WiFi ... this failed on entry to the Severn Tunnel and never came back until Swindon.

The difference in acceleration rate on leaving Didcot once on the electric was noticeable.

We have slowly but steadily been losing time, a minute at a time, for no particular reason, from the bottom of the Severn Tunnel we are 6 minutes down at Reading.

The aircon fan noise is I think the most intrusive of any I recall on a train. But they work. It's noticeably cold in here.

Whoever decided to place the seat legs of the face-to-back seats right where the window seat passenger seated behind would normally place their feet, so you have to sit twisted. That really is a Design School 1.01 error.

"We have slowly but steadily been losing time,.....".
That for me is standard GWR practice. I've yet to be on a London bound train from Penzance that hasn't been late leaving Truro. Most all of the lost time is down to dismal platform work. I'm going up om the 10.00 to-morrow. Just for amusement I'll make a log of the booked time/actual time.

Pokelet

So, I had my first 2 trips today. In to Paddington on a 9 car, tables are nice and roomy although not convinced on the slope up to the window. Window blinds are nice and idea for the low morning sun. The interior feels quite spacious but I agree it's stark. Seats, well you can't have your keys in your back pocket that's for sure, I could feel the seat back 'popping' as I leant back not a great advert for quality. Also seat reservations not working and bits of trim falling off the interior. PA speakers were vibrating with the auto announcement and the manual announcements sounded a bit Dalek like.

Return on a 5 car, seat back didn't pop so I'll put that down to a one off. Seat reservations kaput, WiFi reception poor.

They both certainly felt more stable than the HSTs +100mph. I was pleasantly surprised by the acceleration on Diesel (engines pretty quiet too) and on the wires they take off like a stabbed rat.

I don't need to use GWR that often as I rarely go to London now however all in all I found them quite pleasant.

Master29

Established Member
One big plus I noticed was the room in standard at tables. The best on any set since the old Mk2`s and Mk 3 before first refurbishments. This was 802 101 from Penzance the other day after seeing the Scotsman.

Bringback309s

For the last few days a ten car (2 x 5) 802 has been on a return Plymouth to Penzance (15.57 ex Plymouth) in place of the normal Sprinter - seems a big waste when other services are short formed. Does anyone know why this is?

Wychwood93

On the 1A17, the 1230 up from Bristol TM today ( 5-car 800004) - guard announced over p.a about 12.20 ish that 'apologies that short-formed'. We were never over 50% full until I alighted at Reading - possible, of course, that first class could have been 'rammed'. Away from Briz RT and a meagre 1 late at Reading - diesel throughout. I like the units and, once the juice spreads westwards, it could well be fun - much as I like the HSTs! As mentioned on here many times, the current schedules are easy - even for an 800 on diesel.

CC 72100

Established Member
On the 1A17, the 1230 up from Bristol TM today ( 5-car 800004) - guard announced over p.a about 12.20 ish that 'apologies that short-formed'. We were never over 50% full until I alighted at Reading - possible, of course, that first class could have been 'rammed'. Away from Briz RT and a meagre 1 late at Reading - diesel throughout. I like the units and, once the juice spreads westwards, it could well be fun - much as I like the HSTs! As mentioned on here many times, the current schedules are easy - even for an 800 on diesel.

And that's the reality of many of these midday trains between Bristol and Pad. Not that you want single 5 cars on such workings but proof that the world doesn't necessarily cave in when it does happen!

Wychwood93

And that's the reality of many of these midday trains between Bristol and Pad. Not that you want single 5 cars on such workings but proof that the world doesn't necessarily cave in when it does happen!
When the new timetable comes in I would suggest that 5-cars via both Bath and Parkway will be adequate for the midday services. Unlikely that more PAX will be there - in my view. Four trains an hour from PAD to BRI! Wow, I must go there! And then back, or from Briz. Seat-wise for four 5-car 800's p.hour is not a lot different to 2 x HST p.hour by the direct route. See how things pan out. Assorted stock variations are obviously available!

JN114

Established Member
For the last few days a ten car (2 x 5) 802 has been on a return Plymouth to Penzance (15.57 ex Plymouth) in place of the normal Sprinter - seems a big waste when other services are short formed. Does anyone know why this is?

Crew training - not enough workings in the West for drivers to get their handling in - was originally meant to be a 5 car but I’m away on holiday atm so can’t check if they modified the diagrams.

Mintona

Established Member
Had you definitely been on Electric? How did you come to the conclusion that you were on Electric from Didcot?

A number of sets are running Diesel Only mode for various reasons.

It’s quite possible to run on electric mode with the diesel engines running too. There may be a fault that means the engines can’t be shut down, but electric mode can still be selected.

CC 72100

Established Member
When the new timetable comes in I would suggest that 5-cars via both Bath and Parkway will be adequate for the midday services. Unlikely that more PAX will be there - in my view. Four trains an hour from PAD to BRI! Wow, I must go there! And then back, or from Briz. Seat-wise for four 5-car 800's p.hour is not a lot different to 2 x HST p.hour by the direct route. See how things pan out. Assorted stock variations are obviously available!

Think plan is for the current workings via Box as per today to still be full length (9 or 2x5) with the extra ones via Parkway as the 5-cars. As you say, loadings shouldn't be an issue, only potential slight concern would be guiding people away from the 5-cars for PAD to Reading/Didcot/Swindon journeys towards the 9/10 car workings, depending on loadings beyond Swindon on those Parkway extras.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I had a trip out on one today (short trip from Paddington) and it was on diesel under the wires, and there were at least 3 other similarly moded. Some others were on electric. Anyone know why this is?

FGW_DID

Established Member
I had a trip out on one today (short trip from Paddington) and it was on diesel under the wires, and there were at least 3 other similarly moded. Some others were on electric. Anyone know why this is?

There are a small number of units that for various reasons are running with a ‘diesel only’ restriction.

voyagerdude220

Established Member

I've read elsewhere on this forum, that the 2x802s on this working today may have possibly set on fire at Truro. I'm assuming very minor issue. The train ran empty from Truro to Penzance.

Established Member

Bikeman78

Established Member
You're forgetting the inferno at Ladbroke Grove.
I didn't. Were any of the deaths attributed to the fire rather than the collision? If I recall correctly, there was only one body found in the burnt out first class coach of the HST. The fire had rather more to do with diesel being sprayed everywhere than the flammability of the seats.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The standard in question (EN 45545-2) is actually for all elements within the vehicle. The seat element is meant to simulate a lit newspaper on the seat base.
So a sprung seat base like on a mark 1 or 2 ought to be fine, so long as the cloth covering it is compliant. The metal springs aren't likely to burn!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Are you sure the unit concerned was working that train or just making assumptions based on the late running. The line was blocked at some stage due to overhead power lines coming down.
I don’t have access to the control logs but on Tyrell last night, I didn’t see any lengthy line block due to a broken down train but there was due to said power line incident.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Think plan is for the current workings via Box as per today to still be full length (9 or 2x5) with the extra ones via Parkway as the 5-cars. As you say, loadings shouldn't be an issue, only potential slight concern would be guiding people away from the 5-cars for PAD to Reading/Didcot/Swindon journeys towards the 9/10 car workings, depending on loadings beyond Swindon on those Parkway extras.
Perhaps I misunderstood your last remark, but loadings on the non-stop Pad to Parkway and reverse will be the same both sides of Swindon, as they won't be stopping there, will they?

CC 72100

Established Member
Perhaps I misunderstood your last remark, but loadings on the non-stop Pad to Parkway and reverse will be the same both sides of Swindon, as they won't be stopping there, will they?

Mistake on my part - I forgot about the stopping pattern of these train; if as you say, they are fast from Bristol Parkway (or Reading only) then loadings on a 5 car won't be an issue!

coppercapped

Established Member
I didn't. Were any of the deaths attributed to the fire rather than the collision? If I recall correctly, there was only one body found in the burnt out first class coach of the HST. The fire had rather more to do with diesel being sprayed everywhere than the flammability of the seats.
Agreed. See also my post #8848 above.

Warwick

Well, I finaly got to travel on one of the sooper-dooper trains yesterday (10.00 ex Pz). Thoughts/experience? Seats are hard and (for me) uncomfortable. Armrests may as well not be there, they're so skinny as to be impractical. Windows seem larger and to-gether with the pale interior gives a brighter ambience than the HST coach. Luggage space is lacking. Buffet arrangement is an impractical joke. It must be a nightmare for the poor staff. A group of people in front of me made a not unreasonable order for several beers and spirits which involved the trolley dolly scampering along to wherever that they're stored to collect them. Two lots of punters later and it was repeated. Presumably as the train was two sets yoked to-gether there had to be two lots of buffet staff. The train was/is advertised in the timetable as having a restaurant car. It didn't, I went hungry. The sockets to plug a cellphone/laptop computer in are awkward to reach for someone who is not so flexible as they used to be. The ride was good over ordinary track but points and junctions produced some worrying clonks and thumps. I wonder if the ride quality will be as good as a forty year old HST in forty years time - if they last that long. Despit power operated sliding doors the platform work is as dismal as ever with the train steadily losing time through Cornwall just like the slam door HSTs . The rolling display at the end of each coach is a nice touch and the pre-recorded announcements are clear, concise and grammatically correct. Which begs the question of why the Conductor makes an announcement every time the auto announcement finishes. It's just so unnecessary and unprofessional. To sum up --in my experience/opinion - the fact that so little has improved over the HSTs shows just how advanced the HST was.

Status
Not open for further replies.