• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Is there an issue between Taplow and Maidenhead on the Up main that causes Class 800 drivers to brake to around 110mph? I didn't see any TSR's posted for this. I know there is a neutral section after Maidenhead westbound and the 800's aerodynamics see it shed more speed than a 387 through there!

dancan

Is there an issue between Taplow and Maidenhead on the Up main that causes Class 800 drivers to brake to around 110mph? I didn't see any TSR's posted for this. I know there is a neutral section after Maidenhead westbound and the 800's aerodynamics see it shed more speed than a 387 through there!

Planned engineering works according to JourneyCheck:

Planned engineering work will take place between Henley-On-Thames and Reading via Twyford on Thursday and Friday, from 00:15, Thursday 10 January 2019 to 00:45, Saturday 12 January 2019.

irish_rail

Established Member
Do u mean the down? As there is an ATP fault between those two stations which causes the brake to apply briefly , though is on the down main not the up....

Railperf

Established Member
H
Do u mean the down? As there is an ATP fault between those two stations which causes the brake to apply briefly , though is on the down main not the up....
Yes - exactly - it is on the down - sorry i got my up and down mixed up lol

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Key thing today was that it ran up and down the bank between Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central, whereas the last run came in from the east and turned back at Central.

The route is presumably now cleared for IET diversions between Exeter St Davids and Castle Cary via Yeovil, in time for the closure of Whiteball Tunnel for maintenance work in February and early March.

First IET in service today via the Mule as diversion due incident blocking line.

I thought it was the 1656 Cardiff - Paddington with the air leak or was it the same fault on 1629 Swansea and 1656 Cardiff? 1556 Cardiff also failed on the starting blocks.

FGW_DID

Established Member
1L86 16.29 Swansea - Paddington shown as 800011 & 800012.

1L82 16.56 Cardiff - Paddington was 802103. (Cancelled from Bristol PW)

Both showing cancelled due to train faults (but no detail)

JN114

Established Member
Apologies; attention to detail failure on my part.

1L82 was 802103, failed at Pilning with Air Leak. Temporary repair made, but only sufficient to limp forward to Bristol PW, detrain and onto Stoke Gifford.

1L86 was 800011/012 failed at Cardiff with DRA fault (cab safety-system) - 10 car ran empty to Stoke Gifford as not allowed to run in passenger service with safety system isolated.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
First IET in service today via the Mule as diversion due incident blocking line.

As a point on the side to this incident (deer strike by an HST) , 1C91 1733 Paddington to Paignton had to start at Westbury worked by 143618 which ran ECS from Exeter.

1L82 was 802103, failed at Pilning with Air Leak. Temporary repair made, but only sufficient to limp forward to Bristol PW, detrain and onto Stoke Gifford.

1L86 was 800011/012 failed at Cardiff with DRA fault (cab safety-system) - 10 car ran empty to Stoke Gifford as not allowed to run in passenger service with safety system isolated.
DRA was not lit, it was still operational, had it been on ATP fitted lines it could have carried on.

The air leak was a permanent fix, no limping involved, but in these risk averse days, it was taken out - probably the decision I’d have made.

JN114

Established Member
DRA was not lit, it was still operational, had it been on ATP fitted lines it could have carried on

I’m not in front of the SMS so I can’t check; but off the top of my head I don’t think there’s an ATP lines derogation for DRA - what protection would ATP afford?

There is a derogation to allow the train to continue if a second driver, with route knowledge for the route being driven on, can be provided; and that was explored but not possible within a reasonable timeframe.

EDIT - take it back there is an ATP derogation...

Parallel

Established Member
As a point on the side to this incident (deer strike by an HST) , 1C91 1733 Paddington to Paignton had to start at Westbury worked by 143618 which ran ECS from Exeter.
Checking RTT, it didn't do too badly with timekeeping either - It arrived only 9 minutes late into Exeter St David's from Westbury.

samuelmorris

Established Member

Another brand new 802 with an air leak?
I'm curious how that was permanently resolved away from the depot too...

Status
Not open for further replies.