• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

w1bbl3

Gloucester, Hereford, Cheltenham all would have issues with 10 cars that SDO wouldn’t be able to solve (too long to stand between signals/points etc)

Curious about Gloucester as platform 1+2 is long enough for a pair HST's, I assume this issue that 10-car in platform 1 would foul platform 2? In terms of Cheltenham is there not enough land within the NR boundary to extend the platforms at and/move the signals nearer to the A40 so a 10 car could be platformed? Point taken about Hereford surprised if that is the only station on the cotswold line that couldn't cope with a 10-car considering how short many of the platforms are.

JN114

Established Member
Curious about Gloucester as platform 1+2 is long enough for a pair HST's, I assume this issue that 10-car in platform 1 would foul platform 2? In terms of Cheltenham is there not enough land within the NR boundary to extend the platforms at and/move the signals nearer to the A40 so a 10 car could be platformed? Point taken about Hereford surprised if that is the only station on the cotswold line that couldn't cope with a 10-car considering how short many of the platforms are.

It’s nothing to do with platform lengths, they can be solved with SDO.

Technical question, does the train's software control the brightness of the interior lights?
No, the lights are on or off. The units go into sleep mode after 15 minutes without an active cab, this puts the lights and HVAC off, the crew can over ride sleeep mode for 30 minutes at a time, but not change the lighting brightness.

cambsy

On Moderation
On Weds 6th Feb, had my first run under electric power from Bristol Parkway-Paddington, waas 13.03 Parkway-Paddington, 2x5 car 802, again the performance under electric power was impressive, absolutely slaughtered the timings, 22 mins Parkway-Swindon, 24 mins Swindon-Reading, between Parkway and Paddington we spent approx 10 mins waiting time, they have so much time in hand under electric running, can’t wait to see what they achieve when the faster timetable comes out, I expect to see some impressive timings especially the Paddington-Parkway non stops.

No, the lights are on or off. The units go into sleep mode after 15 minutes without an active cab, this puts the lights and HVAC off, the crew can over ride sleeep mode for 30 minutes at a time, but not change the lighting brightness.

Thanks, that's a pity. Looks like it's sunglasses at night for the foreseeable then

anamyd

On Moderation
The lighting brightness definitely needs to be changed. Some people have sensitive eyesight...

Will Mitchell

I think it might be more to do with the types of bulbs Hitatchi are fitting. Many cheap LED bulbs give off a very harsh, cold quality of light (>3000k) and have the effect of appearing to bleach colour. But there are now LEDs available which can reproduce much lower colour temperatures (<2000k), offering a warmer quality of light, closer to candlelight or old style tungsten light bulbs. So either this comes down to ignorance on the part of train designers / manufacturers or the DfT specified the horrible lighting or it’s specified in some regulation or other. Whatever the cause, the effect is we’re all having to spend our time sitting in what feels like an operating theatre or some sort of gulag torture room. Add the seats into the mix and you’re in for quite an unnecessarily uncomfortable journey.

I like the bright lights, makes it easy to read and do crosswords. Nothing worse than being sat in dingy conditions. I will check the regs, I am sure there will now be minimum lux levels - more elf and safety gone mad.....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I like the bright lights, makes it easy to read and do crosswords. Nothing worse than being sat in dingy conditions. I will check the regs, I am sure there will now be minimum lux levels - more elf and safety gone mad.....

I reckon this is probably one of those myths a bit like "you can't have big overhead luggage racks". The lighting in other recent stock such as Class 700s is nowhere near as bright.

anamyd

On Moderation
Isn't that what reading lights are for...?

Master29

Established Member
Back to the 5 car v 9 car thing, I noticed in Rolling Stock Review 2018 - 19 that a 5 car iet is 162m long but a 9 car is only 242m. I say only because doubling up a 5 car would be 324m probably slightly more with the coupling points would make a 10 car some 80 longer than a 9 car. That seems a hell of a lot more. I just can`t see how that`s true.

Back to the 5 car v 9 car thing, I noticed in Rolling Stock Review 2018 - 19 that a 5 car iet is 162m long but a 9 car is only 242m. I say only because doubling up a 5 car would be 324m probably slightly more with the coupling points would make a 10 car some 80 longer than a 9 car. That seems a hell of a lot more. I just can`t see how that`s true.
5 Car - 130m long
9 Car - 234m long
Each vehicle 26m long between coupler faces.

Bikeman78

Established Member
On Weds 6th Feb, had my first run under electric power from Bristol Parkway-Paddington, waas 13.03 Parkway-Paddington, 2x5 car 802, again the performance under electric power was impressive, absolutely slaughtered the timings, 22 mins Parkway-Swindon, 24 mins Swindon-Reading, between Parkway and Paddington we spent approx 10 mins waiting time, they have so much time in hand under electric running, can’t wait to see what they achieve when the faster timetable comes out, I expect to see some impressive timings especially the Paddington-Parkway non stops.
I've had similar runs with HSTs over the years, more in the down direction than the up, e.g. Depart Swindon at xx:40, arrive Parkway at xx:02. I'm also looking forward to the accelerated schedules.

Master29

Established Member
5 Car - 130m long
9 Car - 234m long
Each vehicle 26m long between coupler faces.
That makes sense now. There is no way those earlier figures I quoted could have been true. The rolling stock review publication was obviously wrong. I should have guessed as everywhere else I had noticed 26m for carriage length + coupler facings. Thanks for that.

jimm

Established Member
Hot bacon rolls were being offered for sale in standard class on the 06.42 Hereford-Paddington yesterday - first time I have seen this happening. A customer host brought a batch down from the kitchen in insulated bags to their colleague who was working the standard class trolley and the rolls' availability was announced on the PA.

The nine-car 800 working the service had the full new set of interior notices, which include little bright green Quiet Carriage stickers above the windows in coach A and Quiet Carriage notices on the vestibule doors.

But still no sign of the seat reservation system working on nine-car sets, though while waiting to go home at Reading I saw a 2x5 with the traffic light system working in both sets and card reservations in the seat backs as well.

And for all the fans of the words 'regular' and 'routine' out there, the following has been posted on the GW Passengers' Forum about short formations this week

Totals so far this week is 11 from a very rough estimate of 800 trains, so just over 1.3%:
MONDAY - 2
TUESDAY - 1 (not including 20:17 Frome to Westbury!)
WEDNESDAY - 0
THURSDAY - 0
FRIDAY - 8

The improvements seem to have coincided with much more use of the new 9-car 802/1s that are still being delivered.

The same person also posted this on Wednesday.

In fact, two Cotswold Line diagrams that are supposed to be 5-car, were covered by 9-car units, so there were the following longforms.
wink.gif

1W19, 09:21 PAD-WOF
1P29 12:00 WOF-PAD
1W31, 15:22 PAD-GMV
1P44, 18:29 GMV-PAD

1W12, 05:47 PAD-WOF
1P22, 08:25 WOF-PAD
1W23, 11:20 PAD-WOF
1P33, 13:55 WOF-PAD

1P22 and 1W31 being especially useful to run as 9-cars as they load well as 5-cars.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18792.1350

Mintona

Established Member
The reservation system on the nine-car sets has been switched off until all the HSTs are gone, I believe.

Card reservations should be in place instead.

tomglazed

The reservation system on the nine-car sets has been switched off until all the HSTs are gone, I believe.

I’m pretty pleased to here this because the seemingly increased gamble of “will my seat res. work out” gets boring. At least this removes at least one variable.

jimm

Established Member

That may be the theory but it's very hit and miss as to whether they are actually provided in my experience - though at least with the extra seats available on nine-car IETs it's less of an issue than it was if an HST turned up without reservations.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
802101 to 802105 have been accepted. 802106 is due for acceptance next week and 802107 the week after.

The last one, 802114, is due to be accepted around mid-April.

Phil G

Was in 802001 today, quite surprised as still not seen 800001 or 800301 in service yet.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have Hitachi stopped washing the sets at night? The last couple of 800s that I've seen have been very dirty on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.