• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

James James

Well, they’re certainly good enough and have been good enough for the RailJet fleet in Austria, and they’re hardly reagional trains..
Those seats are actually pretty horrible. I remember switching from a 1 hour ride on standard Swiss stock (double-deck IC2000 - used for rides of 30' to 3h), and the difference was staggering. After an hour I switched to first class (I'd gotten an upgrade for only part of the route), and... not much more comfortable, just a bit more width.

As northernbelle also mentions: claustrophobic. It was a real shame. Great scenery in Ausria, but you can only see half of it if you're in a window seat, and even less in an aisle seat. It was especially jarring after the 4x4 seating on the prior Swiss train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
The DB ICE 4 train I was on had amazing lighting! It can have the colour changed depending on the time of day and mood. Mine had a cosy warm yellow for the overall carriage body, with more concentrated white light to highlight the seats. Worked extremely well, and made for a lovely ambience!

Sadly we have chosen to make our trains the world's brightest places, a shame.

I have attached some photos of what I mean.
View attachment 60480
View attachment 60481
The ICEs have the best ambience of any train I've been on.

samuelmorris

Established Member
First ride on an 802 today - the seats are definitely better than the original 800 ones but I still don't think they're as comfortable as those on the 387s as they're still a bit too firm . Only made it as far as Maidenhead and I can already feel my posterior going numb.

The brakes on these things are nuts - I'm not sure why they're being applied so forcefully but every time we slow it feels like an emergency stop. A bit jarring to be honest, as was the metro-style launch out of Paddington. If that's all for reduced journey times then so be it, but it doesn't exactly help with comfort!

Still paper seat reservations - any date on when they're likely to start using the electronic system?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Now that I expect it, I do too - it's somewhat infuriating how long it usually takes to get out of London termini so that's refreshingly different, but certainly unexpected on inter-city services!

fgwrich

Established Member
I liked the fast start (which is still fast on diesel) - it was very much like the early days of the Voyagers before they configured the acceleration down.

The 802s certainly seem to have a fairly rapid acceleration, however the 800's leave a lot to be desired. I took a trip involving 034 yesterday (on diesel) and was not impressed by it's lacklustre acceleration away from Reading, taking 9 minutes to reach 110 before having to rapidly brake for it's slough stop. Seats were recovered in the new material, but what was more noticeable was the staining on the carpets.

irish_rail

Established Member
First ride on an 802 today - the seats are definitely better than the original 800 ones but I still don't think they're as comfortable as those on the 387s as they're still a bit too firm . Only made it as far as Maidenhead and I can already feel my posterior going numb.

The brakes on these things are nuts - I'm not sure why they're being applied so forcefully but every time we slow it feels like an emergency stop. A bit jarring to be honest, as was the metro-style launch out of Paddington. If that's all for reduced journey times then so be it, but it doesn't exactly help with comfort!

Still paper seat reservations - any date on when they're likely to start using the electronic system?
I always accelerate a little slowly from station stops baring in mind If I just whack it open it might topple people. Plus always feels a bit "metro" when train gets too fast too quick not proper intercity!!!
Unfortunately some drivers are very lazy and only use full power or heavy braking and this on an let gives a particularly unpleasant ride. Some are also playing around with the power brake controller way too much preventing any chance of a smooth ride which I think is still important on long distance journeys....

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't really understand what was going on, regular very hard brake applications down to maybe 90mph then accelerating again, it felt like being in heavy traffic on a motorway when you regularly have to suddenly brake to match the speed of traffic in front. Not something I've ever really experienced on a train before.

Return journey was operated by a pair of 802s stuck in diesel mode (011/009). I have to say, sitting at the opposite end of the carriage to the GU, I was pretty impressed with its quietness, I'm quite sensitive to these sorts of things and could barely tell it was on diesel. Seat reservations were both electronic and paper, though most of the still reserved seats were unfilled, not sure what that's about.

Acceleration on diesel was definitely slow but seemed fairly comparable to previous IC stock, certainly no worse, though it's difficult to tell 118mph apart from 125mph without using something like GPS. Perfectly 'fast enough' but certainly far slower than the journey out, though a lot more comfortable without all the sharp braking all the time.

Still not got over the shock of paying £50 for a return to Reading though, I'd forgotten how expensive GWR is compared to other routes...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Return journey was operated by a pair of 802s stuck in diesel mode (011/009). I have to say, sitting at the opposite end of the carriage to the GU, I was pretty impressed with its quietness, I'm quite sensitive to these sorts of things and could barely tell it was on diesel. Seat reservations were both electronic and paper, though most of the still reserved seats were unfilled, not sure what that's about.

GWR sells relatively few Advances, so more people are on walk-ups and can take a different train. There used to be this level of non-takeup of reservations on VTWC 10 years ago.

samuelmorris

Established Member
GWR sells relatively few Advances, so more people are on walk-ups and can take a different train. There used to be this level of non-takeup of reservations on VTWC 10 years ago.
Sorry I don't follow that - why would anybody book an advance and then buy a walk-on fare as well, other than if they missed their reservation?

387star

On Moderation
I always accelerate a little slowly from station stops baring in mind If I just whack it open it might topple people. Plus always feels a bit "metro" when train gets too fast too quick not proper intercity!!!
Unfortunately some drivers are very lazy and only use full power or heavy braking and this on an let gives a particularly unpleasant ride. Some are also playing around with the power brake controller way too much preventing any chance of a smooth ride which I think is still important on long distance journeys....
Haha metro indeed. Full power from horley to 50 max then straight away braking hitting the platform at Gatwick abour 40 now that's metro

samuelmorris

Established Member
Er, I didn't say they would. GWR sell relatively few Advances, so passengers in general are less likely to be using Advances than with other TOCs.
How else would there be reservations though? There were loads of seats reserved for periods covering the last leg from Reading to Paddington, but hardly anybody actually sitting in them. The service was on-time so it seems unlikely many would have gone elsewhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How else would there be reservations though? There were loads of seats reserved for periods covering the last leg from Reading to Paddington, but hardly anybody actually sitting in them. The service was on-time so it seems unlikely many would have gone elsewhere.

They made them using walk-up tickets (i.e. Anytime/(Super)Off Peak purchased before the day of travel), and decided, for whatever reason, to take a different train, leaving an unused reservation.

VTWC used to have loads of this before they made a massive push to more Advances. At one stage probably over a third of reservations were unclaimed.

samuelmorris

Established Member
They made them using walk-up tickets (i.e. Anytime/(Super)Off Peak purchased before the day of travel), and decided, for whatever reason, to take a different train, leaving an unused reservation.

VTWC used to have loads of this before they made a massive push to more Advances. At one stage probably over a third of reservations were unclaimed.
I didn't even realise you could make reservations on standard tickets and not just advances. I'm clearly a bit out of touch having done >95% of my rail travel in the last 5 years on Oyster!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I didn't even realise you could make reservations on standard tickets and not just advances. I'm clearly a bit out of touch having done >95% of my rail travel in the last 5 years on Oyster!

Yep. A reservation can be made on any ticket. I think GWR might even allow it on season tickets - at least one IC TOC does.

aar0

Still paper seat reservations

Which oddly aren't put in the slot provided for them, but between the seat cushion and frame.

I did Swansea - London and back yesterday, mainly in 1st on the way up to use the Pullman. Can't say there's much comfort to be gained in first, the back of the seat still flares out and tries to round your shoulders. Not looking forward to LNER having them too, as I fairly frequently do Swansea - Newcastle and doubt I'll enjoy nearly 6 hours of these seats!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which oddly aren't put in the slot provided for them, but between the seat cushion and frame.

I did Swansea - London and back yesterday, mainly in 1st on the way up to use the Pullman. Can't say there's much comfort to be gained in first, the back of the seat still flares out and tries to round your shoulders. Not looking forward to LNER having them too, as I fairly frequently do Swansea - Newcastle and doubt I'll enjoy nearly 6 hours of these seats!

I sat in a 1st seat with a view to upgrading to Weekend First. It was rubbish, and I moved to Standard.

The only worse IC First Class seat I've come across is the OeBB Railjet which has seats with weak recliners that won't stay upright.

samuelmorris

Established Member

Could always change at Bristol and do the rest on a Voyager instead ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Pricier and no cheap 1st advances to enjoy "Hop on Board" etc! (I've also been let down on that route several times, and very rarely via London)

If you could work it out to use an XC HST it'd be OK, otherwise you'd have to put up with a Voyager. Mind you, at least the seats don't hurt.

irish_rail

Established Member
Haha metro indeed. Full power from horley to 50 max then straight away braking hitting the platform at Gatwick abour 40 now that's metro
Hitting the platform at 40? Not exactly quick is it?? 30 to 40 is standard speed into many platforms on HSTs with about 45ish for many on IETs sometimes more.

On the weekend of the 16/17th of March some of the Swansea services were diverted via Barry town, was that a last minute thing?because it wasn't in the GWR list of engineering work, and does anyone know when the next dates for the diverts are on

On Moderation
Hitting the platform at 40? Not exactly quick is it?? 30 to 40 is standard speed into many platforms on HSTs with about 45ish for many on IETs sometimes more.
Pah. That’s nothing. Did the old replacement loco hauled train out of Munich a few years back, operated by Lokomotion locos. Hit the ramp at München Ost behind a 189 at about 70mph, still stopped exactly on the mark. Several megawatts of regenerative brake capability does help, mind you.

Let’s be honest, crawling around like a frightened old dear is more standard with GWR. Especially with a Bristol gnome up front.

Well I remember being at Weymouth Quay station when 37427 arrived and it did literally hit the platform and took off the ETH box the secondmans side, because it was gauged using a 37/0 that did fit but a 4 didn't

irish_rail

Established Member
Pah. That’s nothing. Did the old replacement loco hauled train out of Munich a few years back, operated by Lokomotion locos. Hit the ramp at München Ost behind a 189 at about 70mph, still stopped exactly on the mark. Several megawatts of regenerative brake capability does help, mind you.

Let’s be honest, crawling around like a frightened old dear is more standard with GWR. Especially with a Bristol gnome up front.
I've hit platforms at 60 on the odd occasion but 70 Christ that's brave on hauled stock

Mintona

Established Member

^ *that’s_bait.gif*

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's German-style positive braking. Quite scary when you enter the end of the Salzburg bay at linespeed. Of course, it stopped in precisely the right place.

deltic08

On Moderation

Isn't it quicker by Cross Country from Swansea to Newcastle with a change at Bristol Parkway?

Status
Not open for further replies.