• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume that the class 360's are moving on at some point, so you are going to need class 387/1's for the services to Hayes and on to Heathrow to replace those.....

I'd have thought that the 360s would be replaced (or displaced) by Crossrail 345s

The Heathrow Connect class 360's belong to Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd.
When Crossrail take over the route to Heathrow (with their class 345's) it will be up to HAL as to how they wish to dispose of the trains. No doubt a deal will be done with the DafT, so that they can be transferred to another TOC and in terms of ownership, I suspect they'll be sold to a ROSCO.

The 387/1's are destined for FGW (or GWR as they'll be called by then).
GWR will not be operating to Heathrow from Paddington.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
The Heathrow Connect class 360's belong to Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd.
When Crossrail take over the route to Heathrow (with their class 345's) it will be up to HAL as to how they wish to dispose of the trains. No doubt a deal will be done with the DafT, so that they can be transferred to another TOC and in terms of ownership, I suspect they'll be sold to a ROSCO.

The 387/1's are destined for FGW (or GWR as they'll be called by then).
GWR will not be operating to Heathrow from Paddington.

Oops...sorry I forgot that it will be Crossrail that would be operating the Reading - Heathrow - Paddington services.

D365

Veteran Member
Oops...sorry I forgot that it will be Crossrail that would be operating the Reading - Heathrow - Paddington services.

It hasn't been confirmed which operator will be serving London-Reading via Heathrow. The only change known for now is that Crossrail will be replacing Heathrow Connect.

It hasn't been confirmed which operator will be serving London-Reading via Heathrow.....

It hasn't been decided if there will be through services via Heathrow or not.
It's just as likely that the Reading-Heathrow section will be a separate service, especially if some services extend to Oxford and Basingstoke; as suggested as a possibility in the NR Western Route Study.

D365

Veteran Member
Will only two platforms at Central be enough to turn around trains in the Reading direction, bearing in mind the 4tph Crossrail to Terminal 4 on top of whatever might replace HEx.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Will only two platforms at Central be enough to turn around trains in the Reading direction, bearing in mind the 4tph Crossrail to Terminal 4 on top of whatever might replace HEx.

There's four National Rail platforms at T5, two of which are currently unused but reserved for services to the west. I imagine any terminating WRAtH services would only go that far, meaning people would need to change to get to T2 or twice to T4.

oversteer

I assume she had a bikini on. I'm not sure they would have risked that even in the 70s

at least it wasn't Jimmy Savile

Pinza-C55

Where has this one been made ? The new Hitachi factory at Newton Aycliffe isn't ready yet.

Domh245

Established Member
It was built at the Kasado works in Japan, along with another 2 pre-production units, before being shipped to the UK via southampton and being delivered by road to Old Dalby.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Is that the sound of the GSM-R losing satellites then popping back into life? :razz:

gazthomas

Established Member
I wonder why they don't release the trains to East Coast before Great Western, given that the infrastructure is already there. Yes, I know HST's are more tired that 91's, but they're getting on too.

D365

Veteran Member
The HSTs on either line will be replaced first, but the contracts/finance were arranged for GW first. The second batch of 30 801s (9-car electric only SETs) to replace the ECML 225s was confirmed later, however it has since been said that VTEC will retain a few IC225 formations in addition.

Haydn1971

Established Member
The HSTs on either line will be replaced first, but the contracts/finance were arranged for GW first. The second batch of 30 801s (9-car electric only SETs) to replace the ECML 225s was confirmed later, however it has since been said that VTEC will retain a few IC225 formations in addition.

Despite the contracts in place, I seriously doubt anyone would let a new fleet of 800's sit idle if the GWML electrification isn't complete - Some short term arrangement would be made to start displacing the HST's as quickly as the 800's become available, even if that's on the ECML first.

800's sit idle if the GWML electrification isn't complete

Considering the DfT have confirmed that the Class 800 is capable of line speed - 125 MPH on diesel power, I see no worries in the electrification of the GWML not being complete by June 2017 when the first two entries into service are timetabled.

I understand testing of 800001 & 800101 is ahead of schedule, we might remember that another Hitachi project, the Class 395, was delivered ahead of schedule and entered into service as a preview. Lets watch this space....

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't wish to name names, but surely the normal way to introduce a new fleet is only after many delays, and perhaps even the need to return them to Derby for modifications?

Network Rail and the DfT probably banked on delays so weren't so bothered about the electrification slipping behind. How dare Hitachi now risk embarrassing everyone!!

Dave1987

On Moderation
Considering the DfT have confirmed that the Class 800 is capable of line speed - 125 MPH on diesel power, I see no worries in the electrification of the GWML not being complete by June 2017 when the first two entries into service are timetabled.

I understand testing of 800001 & 800101 is ahead of schedule, we might remember that another Hitachi project, the Class 395, was delivered ahead of schedule and entered into service as a preview. Lets watch this space....

sorry but this is completely wrong. Rail Mag has pointed out the Bi-modes are only designed for short distances on diesel power. So there would be implications of using they for greater distances on the diesels than originally planned for. The contract with Hitachi will be for certain distances on the Diesel engines for planned wear and engine mileage. Not just a case of running them for longer on the diesel.

jimm

Established Member
sorry but this is completely wrong. Rail Mag has pointed out the Bi-modes are only designed for short distances on diesel power. So there would be implications of using they for greater distances on the diesels than originally planned for. The contract with Hitachi will be for certain distances on the Diesel engines for planned wear and engine mileage. Not just a case of running them for longer on the diesel.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Your bog-standard 800 - which can presumably be fitted with a bigger diesel tank and a full-bore engine like the mildly-tweaked AT 300 variant if needed - will be expected to run on diesel power all the way between Oxford, Worcester, Hereford and Newport on diesel power when working Cotswold Line diagrams that start and end at the depot in Bristol.

Since when has 130 miles been a short distance? You make it sound like they will overheat and blow up if they have to do more than about 10 miles. And since when has it not been possible to rewrite a contract to allow for a change in circumstances?

Your ceaseless and boundless negativity never ceases to amaze me.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Sorry, but you're wrong.

Your bog-standard 800 - which can presumably be fitted with a bigger diesel tank and a full-bore engine like the mildly-tweaked AT 300 variant if needed - will be expected to run on diesel power all the way between Oxford, Worcester, Hereford and Newport on diesel power when working Cotswold Line diagrams that start and end at the depot in Bristol.

Since when has 130 miles been a short distance? You make it sound like they will overheat and blow up if they have to do more than about 10 miles. And since when has it not been possible to rewrite a contract to allow for a change in circumstances?

Your ceaseless and boundless negativity never ceases to amaze me.

Well for a start none of my post is derogatory towards the bi-modes, and by you saying "presumably" suggests you don't actually know yourself! In Rail Mag it states that the engines on the bi-modes are only designed for short distances, so you clearly disagree with them. So before you go off on one at me saying I am wrong maybe you should do some reading up?

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
Well for a start none of my post is derogatory towards the bi-modes, and by you saying "presumably" suggests you don't actually know yourself! In Rail Mag it states that the engines on the bi-modes are only designed for short distances, so you clearly disagree with them. So before you go off on one at me saying I am wrong maybe you should do some reading up?

Not being intimately acquainted with the blueprints for the underfloor equipment, I have to presume, don't I? But the AT300 isn't exactly a major revision of the base IEP design, so it seems a fair presumption to me, if not to someone who has been posting negatively about these trains since the dawn of time. Or are you telling me your latest contribution was in fact positive?

Why do I need to read up? It is a matter of fact that the 800s will be doing that 130-mile trip from Oxford to Newport on diesel power - and much the same Edinburgh-Aberdeen and more than that from Edinburgh to Inverness. I've no idea what Rail's definition of short distance is, so I'll just stick to distances that they will be actually travelling using the diesels as my yardstick, thanks. On that basis they might just manage Swindon-Bristol and Swindon-Cardiff runs on diesel for a while until wiring is done.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Not being intimately acquainted with the blueprints for the underfloor equipment, I have to presume, don't I? But the AT300 isn't exactly a major revision of the base IEP design, so it seems a fair presumption to me, if not to someone who has been posting negatively about these trains since the dawn of time. Or are you telling me your latest contribution was in fact positive?

Why do I need to read up? It is a matter of fact that the 800s will be doing that 130-mile trip from Oxford to Newport on diesel power - and much the same Edinburgh-Aberdeen and more than that from Edinburgh to Inverness. I've no idea what Rail's definition of short distance is, so I'll just stick to distances that they will be actually travelling using the diesels as my yardstick, thanks. On that basis they might just manage Swindon-Bristol and Swindon-Cardiff runs on diesel for a while until wiring is done.

Well I will go on facts I read in publications rather than someone on a forum saying they believe they should be fine to do the extra mileage in their opinion.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I assume the 'not designed for' probably refers to the size of the fuel tanks, rather than any actual problems with the engines running for far longer journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.