• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Conductor assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich.16

Good morning all.

Sorry if that has already been posted. Iv tried the search bar but can see anything but if anyone knows any threads please post.

Iv got an assessment for Gwr conductor. Theres 3 different ones to do going by the email. Has anyone done this lately and could give me some heads up on whats to come?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guildford lad

All are ok, the send practice papers, which give you a feel for the actual test. Accuratacy is key

Nicbetyy

Do the practice tests a few times and time yourself .
Try and be as relaxed as you can on the day !
I did mine early August and had a f2f the following week .

MDCW

I did mine in July and still haven't been invited back for the second stage. Is that what it is? A f2f?

Rich.16

Thanks, so its all paper test first. Did they tell you there and then if its a pass or fail?

What depo have you applied for?

I did mine in July and still haven't been invited back for the second stage. Is that what it is? A f2f?

Did you find the tests ok? Which depo did you apply for? Did you get told if you had passed on the day?

MDCW

Thanks, so its all paper test first. Did they tell you there and then if its a pass or fail?

Did you find the tests ok? Which depo did you apply for? Did you get told if you had passed on the day?

What depo have you applied for?
I applied for reading. Tests were ok. I got an email later that day saying I had passed. It also said should I be selected, I'll be invited back in for the next stage. That was 3 months ago.

Nicbetyy

My paper tests were on Friday afternoon and didn’t get the results until the Monday ( they are manually marked .

Stage 2 was a group assessment in two parts . 6 of us were in the room together . 5 were internal and then me external . You all get put in staff canteen whilst the interviewing managers decide who goes through to a competency face to face interview 1on 1. You all get called in individually to either get feedback on your group and get sent home or get straight into an interview .

MDCW

My paper tests were on Friday afternoon and didn’t get the results until the Monday ( they are manually marked .

Stage 2 was a group assessment in two parts . 6 of us were in the room together . 5 were internal and then me external . You all get put in staff canteen whilst the interviewing managers decide who goes through to a competency face to face interview 1on 1. You all get called in individually to either get feedback on your group and get sent home or get straight into an interview .

Interesting, did you make it through to interview? Also did you have to wait 3 months or longer like I have to know if you made it to the 2nd assessment?

Rich.16

Iv applied for Gloucester station.

Got my date for first lot at the end of the month.

What was the group assessment like? Did you find it easy?

Cheers

TM Hopeful

Interesting, did you make it through to interview? Also did you have to wait 3 months or longer like I have to know if you made it to the 2nd assessment?
I think it depends which depot you’re applying for as to their recruitment needs timewise. I applied for Paddington and after finding out I was successful at assessment centre 1 I was offered a date for assessment centre 2 within about two weeks. I couldn’t make this date however due to work commitments so when I turned it down there was a warning that they might not be able to offer me another date but I had to take the risk. I was offered another date within another 2-3 weeks which I was able to attend and found out the day afterwards that I was successful and booked straight in for a medical which was about three weeks later. About a week after that I was told that my medical was successful (you find out about most of the medical results on the day) and was given my course start date.
That being said, some posters on here have waited a lot longer and still had a successful outcome so it really does depend where you’re applying for and whether it’s for a TM role or a Conductor role. Good luck!

TM Hopeful

Cheers

Cheers

There are details elsewhere on the forum about what to expect, they will give you a general outline of what to expect but it won’t be exactly what is mentioned there. These forums are monitored by TOCs so it’s frowned upon to go into much detail for obvious reasons. As others have mentioned at stage one accuracy is key, there’s no point in finishing any one paper if it’s littered with errors, concentrate on accuracy whilst being aware of the time available, you’re NOT expected to finish! All I would say as far as the second assessment stage is you need to come across as confident without being over confident, as well as inclusive of the opinions and ideas of the others in the group. Don’t be afraid to take the lead but at the same time don’t come across as bossy! If anyone is holding back within the group then look for an opportunity to bring them back into the loop. It’s basically a fine balancing act!
Interview wise just make sure you have lots of examples to relay about;
-Difficult situations you’ve dealt with, both customers and with colleagues also.
- Teamwork examples

- Be clear about why you want the role and what qualities you can bring to it.
-Do a little bit of research about the company, be familiar with any recent initiatives etc etc

I actually found the group exercises quite enjoyable in a weird sort of way! It’s a bit daunting walking into the room to the various managers sitting around the outdoes with you and your colleagues in the middle, but put that to the back of your mind and concentrate on impressing!
Good luck!

Nicbetyy

I was the only candidate in my group to get an assessment . I waited a week but it varies depending on the companies needs .

I’m sitting in a talent pool now awaiting a call to start on a course . It’s not ideal , as I have been made redundant so was hoping to start straight away

TM Hopeful

You would have thought with timetable change around the corner that they would have wanted as many people on courses as quickly as possible!
Hope you get some news soon!

Nicbetyy

You would have thought with timetable change around the corner that they would have wanted as many people on courses as quickly as possible!
I know ! I’ve just signed a contact with a company until the end of December . I’m hoping for January start now :)

Bet you can’t wait to get going now ?!

paulwestwood

There's only so many places they can hold any courses, with a limited amount of qualified people who able to deliver particular parts of the training courses. There is also a finite amount of budget to cater for all associated costs such as Hotels, Uniform, Medicals etc. You also will not want class sizes to be too large as that makes it harder to gain hands on experience during when doing practical training in confined areas, if groups are small it also help the course trainer spend more time with each individual. Another point to consider training courses don't always contain trainees from one depot, so as you say with the timetable change they need plenty of people on courses it cannot be rushed for safety's sake.
Anyway to all who get through enjoy the training and if your not sure about anything ask for clarification, they always prefer you to be honest and upfront in you are unsure about anything. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.