• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Conductor job application

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I’m considering applying but got turned down recently for a similar role, so where am I going wrong? What do I need to include in the application to get to interview stage?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
I’m considering applying but got turned down recently for a similar role, so where am I going wrong? What do I need to include in the application to get to interview stage?

Thanks

To get to the "Interview Stage" you would first have to pass the relevant assessment stages. For Conductor these seem to be two parts with the interview being the very final part of the Stage 2 Assessment day.

Stage 1 = SCAAT, Ticket Checking Assesment + 1 other which i cant think of. Pass that then its onto;
Stage 2 = Individual assessment (presentation?), group assessment then interview if you've made the grade.

Have you done any of these or is it the paper sift on the initial application you are stumbling on?

paulwestwood

To get to the "Interview Stage" you would first have to pass the relevant assessment stages. For Conductor these seem to be two parts with the interview being the very final part of the Stage 2 Assessment day.

Stage 1 = SCAAT, Ticket Checking Assesment + 1 other which i cant think of. Pass that then its onto;
Stage 2 = Individual assessment (presentation?), group assessment then interview if you've made the grade.

Have you done any of these or is it the paper sift on the initial application you are stumbling on?

There is also the online tests to be completed at the end of the initial application, which you need to pass before they even read your application.
Your application should contain your experiences / skills relevant to the role.

First Group also will withdraw your application if you have been unsuccessful in a role advertised in the same category.

Hope this helps.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
First Group also will withdraw your application if you have been unsuccessful in a role advertised in the same category.
Within the last 6 months ;)

The "same category" for Conductors will include: Train Manager, Ticket Examiner, Booking Office, Platform (Service Delivery Assistant), Gateline, and/or anything else that comes under Customer Service at ANY of the First Group TOCs

paulwestwood

The "same category" for Conductors will include: Train Manager, Ticket Examiner, Booking Office, Platform (Service Delivery Assistant), Gateline, and/or anything else that comes under Customer Service.

Sorry, forgot that bit, talking whilst typing :D

TheWalrus

Established Member

After the initial application and SJT I just get an unsuccessful email.

TheWalrus

Established Member

The "same category" for Conductors will include: Train Manager, Ticket Examiner, Booking Office, Platform (Service Delivery Assistant), Gateline, and/or anything else that comes under Customer Service at ANY of the First Group TOCs
I assume commercial guard comes under that category too?

paulwestwood

After the initial application and SJT I just get an unsuccessful email.

The SJT is mainly customer service, did you answer them as you being the customer. Also with regard to completing your experience part of the application did you cover all things that are mentioned in the role description.

Konik

First SJT is assessed automatically so you must be doing something wrong when answering questions. I've done SJT for trainee driver today and got confirmation 10 minutes later.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I found the SJT very difficult as it seemed like most answers could have been right. Any idea how to pass this?

Daydr3am3r

To be honest this is something where you have to answer as honestly as possible. People over complicate it by trying to select the answer that they think the company are looking for.
It is better to really put yourself in the role in the example and select the answer that you feel is tight.

Stigy

Established Member
I found the SJT very difficult as it seemed like most answers could have been right. Any idea how to pass this?
You’ve kind of got to be truthful in SJTs as that’s why the possible answers are so similar per question and usually all quite feasible and acceptable. You’ll also often find that a lot of the questions are similar, meaning if you say what you think they want to hear, you’ll likely come unstuck. As has been said, just answer with safety/customer service at the forefront of your mind every time and you won’t go far wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.