• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hedgehog1977

Revamp? Just finished refurbishing the things ! Still here, just been very busy ! Don't know about berth bookings as I'm wrong side for that ! However....currently, five coaches on sun up, Thurs up and Fri down. All berths presented as doubles but can be changed on night. No mixed sex sharing for years unless booked as such. Plan long term is 5 every night with 6 on Fri down/sun up BUT 2 coaches being sourced to enable this as we can't guarantee fleet availability at the ment with just 11 slep's. Soon, all berths will be presented as singles with bedding to be made up for doubles by hosts on night due to staffing capabilities currently overstretched ? Don't ask !!!

Double berth presented as a single last night with bedding for the top bunk 'vaccumed packed' under the bottom bunk. Was told by our host that passengars now have to make the bed up themselves. Interest concept..........
Blind also missing from our berth. Replaced with some sort of blackout mesh that quite frankly was useless especially when in the platforms. Told that they are in the process of replacing blinds as the first batch after refurb were faulty.......

devonexpress

It is about time the 57's where replaced, They where only given a major overhauled back in 2015 less than 2 years later all the problems they had before have come back, they aren't even used that much in comparison to the Castle HST's. Sure GWR could hire in some Class 67s but make it part of the the contract that they have to be maintained at Long Rock so not jobs are lost.

JN114

Established Member
Touch wood it’s been several months since the last 57 failure while working the sleeper...

dmncf

Double berth presented as a single last night with bedding for the top bunk 'vaccumed packed' under the bottom bunk. Was told by our host that passengars now have to make the bed up themselves. Interest concept..........
Did you get to have a try at the train driver's job too? :D

fgwrich

Established Member
Blind also missing from our berth. Replaced with some sort of blackout mesh that quite frankly was useless especially when in the platforms. Told that they are in the process of replacing blinds as the first batch after refurb were faulty.......

I'm not surprised. The blinds were buggered in the berths on both trips I had last year. I did put a complaint into GWR but basically had a simple "Thank you for your feedback" type response. The BR Design was never the greatest (indeed I've had issues with temperamental blinds on the Caley Mk3s) but it was a shame it was one feature kept on post refurb.

dgl

Established Member

There is a good few, if not all the people where I work that would be all for that concept, we'd be still happy just to make the double though. But alas if it is expected to be done then it should be

co-tr-paul

Blinds and sink top hinges have been a problem since day 1 of refurb. Not fit for purpose. Supplier now defunct so warranty invalid etc. Various mods have been tried, latest on 10532. Should have kept originals.... .
Vacuum pack is a trial in coach G as many people want a single berth but come summer when train iis fully booked , all doubles will be required again as per last summer. Its supposed to save time on train prep but its not going to when busy. Ongoing staff issues. With the ORR door/window/train length rulings, current plan is sticking to 4 and 5 SLEP vehicles as current but as posted, all fluid at the moment.

Sleepy

Established Member
Given Coach H is only added for Friday night down & Sunday night up is the normal practice to leave it at Reading or return to Long Rock locked out of use Monday night ? Noticed it appeared to be in use on Monday night down recently. Does the crewing of Sleeper still require 1 host per 2 Sleeper coaches ?

co-tr-paul

H is also on the Wed down, Thurs up in use. It sometimes get taken out for mon down but not always possible. Should currently be locked out if left on, but isn't always ! This summer's demand should see it in and in use all the time. Staffing during winter listings are as is but summer is again, per bookings. Still unknown what will happen this summer regarding berth layout and number of SLEPs.
Ex Caledonian 10551/3 at L.A. For interior work.

83G/84D

Established Member
Down sleeper Friday night had issues at Paddington with 57602 not supplying ETS. 57306 came from Reading and doubleheaded the train through to Penzance. The stock was worked up to Laira on Saturday top n' tailed late afternoon due to Sunday engineering works but had issues in the Plymouth area. After going forward for fitters attention in Hemerdon up goods loop the train had to go to Totnes to cross over before returning to Laira.

Train starts from Plymouth tonight.

Mogz

Since the Riviera is keeping Mk3s for the foreseeable future, and the Caledonian has just ditched a load, I wonder whether GWR could grab some to lengthen the Riviera, especially for in the Summer when the trains are usually fully booked?

Bringback309s

Since the Riviera is keeping Mk3s for the foreseeable future, and the Caledonian has just ditched a load, I wonder whether GWR could grab some to lengthen the Riviera, especially for in the Summer when the trains are usually fully booked?
I believe they already have a couple... but whether they are seated carriages or for spares I don't know

On Moderation
Two ex-Caledonian vehicles (10551/553 from memory) are now on lease to GWR, presumably for that very purpose.