• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
57306 is long term hire so much as it seems to be one of GWR's own. 57310 has recently been brought in on hire due to a current shortage of GWR's 57s. There is some background from Post #1714 onwards

JN114

Established Member
57306 has been on very long term hire to GWR from DRS - it was initially to help with sleeper availability but as that had calmed down it now serves as a Dellner-fitted loco capable of rescuing stranded 387s. Ordinarily it doesn’t leave the Reading area, but occasionally works to Penzance with much fraying of nerves of Thames Valley control lest a 387 breaks down while it is away…

57310 has more recently joined the flock as cover while the core 57 fleet has some fettling done to improve reliability, I think there’s some more detail up thread

ABB125

Established Member
57306 has been on very long term hire to GWR from DRS - it was initially to help with sleeper availability but as that had calmed down it now serves as a Dellner-fitted loco capable of rescuing stranded 387s. Ordinarily it doesn’t leave the Reading area, but occasionally works to Penzance with much fraying of nerves of Thames Valley control lest a 387 breaks down while it is away…

57310 has more recently joined the flock as cover while the core 57 fleet has some fettling done to improve reliability, I think there’s some more detail up thread
Thanks very much

fgwrich

Established Member

It probably works both ways as well, as GWR require the 57 cover, and DRS has two fleets which sees very little use with them now (57/0 & 57/3).

On Moderation
And has been rather useful to collect the extra 387s from GTR for GWR!

Tw99

I was surprised to see the Paddington to Reading ECS go through Pangbourne this morning, it seems to be on a mini tour of Berkshire, going to down to Didcot, back to Reading West, Theale and then the depot. Did it need turning around ?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I was surprised to see the Paddington to Reading ECS go through Pangbourne this morning, it seems to be on a mini tour of Berkshire, going to down to Didcot, back to Reading West, Theale and then the depot. Did it need turning around ?

Last night’s Up Midnight ran via Honiton so the set arrived at Paddington in reverse formation.

Steddenm

Tonight's down sleeper (Paddington to Penzance) has been replaced with an IET due to the incoming ECS working involved in a fatality at Slough.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes and the Up Sleeper (57603) is terminating at Reading and will be taken back to Penzance so there is some stock there for the Up Friday sleeper.

43 302

Established Member
I've noticed the few down services booked via Bristol (Sundays in Sept) are pathed through the Down Through road. Between p11 & p13? However I travelled on C50 in early 2020 on the through road between p3 & p5 which I believed to be the DT at the time. Does this mean that was actually the UT?

Jim

Established Member
I've noticed the few down services booked via Bristol (Sundays in Sept) are pathed through the Down Through road. Between p11 & p13? However I travelled on C50 in early 2020 on the through road between p3 & p5 which I believed to be the DT at the time. Does this mean that was actually the UT?

Between Platform 3/5 is the Up Through

Question, is the CNR at it's usual load 7 or is it 8 now? Which days is it longer so if I go out to see it I know what to expect.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Question, is the CNR at it's usual load 7 or is it 8 now? Which days is it longer so if I go out to see it I know what to expect.

Both sets (PZ88 & PZ89) showing as 7 (BFO - TSOD - RFM -1 X SLED 3 X SLEP)

Thank you, I assuming the plan to extend the CNR to 8 full time have been put old hold for the time being?

Does it still run once coach longer once a week for positioning?

Also, when you say "showing", showing where? Where do you look if you dont mind me asking.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thank you, I assuming the plan to extend the CNR to 8 full time have been put old hold for the time being?

Does it still run once coach longer once a week for positioning?

Also, when you say "showing", showing where? Where do you look if you dont mind me asking.
  1. Pass, don’t know what the plans are.
  2. I don’t think so, we’ve not had a spare sleeper coach at Reading for a while. Recent shunts at Reading whilst I’ve been on days have just involved Loco swaps.
  3. IT as mentioned by JN114 & emails.

fgwrich

Established Member
  1. Pass, don’t know what the plans are.
  2. I don’t think so, we’ve not had a spare sleeper coach at Reading for a while. Recent shunts at Reading whilst I’ve been on days have just involved Loco swaps.
  3. IT as mentioned by JN114 & emails.
I presume nothing has happened to the two ex Caley Sleeper SLEPs at Laira yet?