• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWTH

Does this mean the swapping class 57 for 67 rumours were just that then?

There has never been a plan to use 67's. Even on this forum, where well-informed and sensible postings by active railway staff are frequently ignored in favour of some idiots wet dream idea of what they want to see, the topic of 67's on 1A40 and 1C99 should be dead and buried by now. The reasons why have been spelt out over and over again.

The 57's, for better or worse, are the motive power of choice for the Night Riviera. There are no plans to replace them.

spark001uk

Established Member
There has never been a plan to use 67's. Even on this forum, where well-informed and sensible postings by active railway staff are frequently ignored in favour of some idiots wet dream idea of what they want to see, the topic of 67's on 1A40 and 1C99 should be dead and buried by now. The reasons why have been spelt out over and over again.

The 57's, for better or worse, are the motive power of choice for the Night Riviera. There are no plans to replace them.

I remember at least one thread on here a year or two back about this, where known FGW staff, including drivers, were firmly stating it was being spoken about (at the time).
I'd like to add at this point that I don't believe things like that until I see them happen. Easiest way! Also I myself prefer the 57's, even for their poorly spells.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I remember at least one thread on here a year or two back about this, where known FGW staff, including drivers, were firmly stating it was being spoken about (at the time).
It was talked about but as DBS (as was) insisted that the locos would only be available if they were driven by DBS drivers the talks went nowhere fast and ended very quickly.

co-tr-paul

If 67s were going to be used, then Long Rock redevelopment would be a waste of money as its for the 57 heavy maintenance. 67 topic now DEAD until at least 2021.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
If 67s were going to be used, then Long Rock redevelopment would be a waste of money as its for the 57 heavy maintenance. 67 topic now DEAD until at least 2021.

Exactly. That was my point. I personally think the 57s are great, couldn't care less about the other traction really. No doubt long rock will keep them tip-top! ;)

On Moderation
But the HST power car option isn't necessarily dead........

spark001uk

Established Member
Hopefully not to the hideous prototype designs originally posted - with the so called Cocktail Bar for the Sleeper Passengers and counter for the standard / day coaches. Wouldn't surprise me sadly though. Gingham Flooring in a Mk3 anyone? :roll:

Can't be as bad as the buffet in the old 4-BEP units, now that was hideous! Needed sunglasses on to go in it to avoid eye strain!! ;)

co-tr-paul

It has been suggested that 306 be castleised but we shall see; unsure of exact lease details. 604 has not been repainted this cycle yet but it should retain its traditional livery when it does.
The new style lounge cars will be more ambiant than current with a choice of seating. Admit, new berths look good in the flesh even if they are a pain to prepare and maintain - a couple of shots finally now on my Flickr stream

83G/84D

Established Member
Slightly off topic but I'd like to see 08641 or 08644 back at Penzance "where they belong". Any chance we can swap 08410?

co-tr-paul

410 has been ours for donkeys' years ! Celebrates its 60th next year new to Newton Abbott.
641 has normally spends more time defective whenever it gets sent down..... !

83G/84D

Established Member
During my visits to Penzance in the early 80's it always seemed to be 641 and/or 644 present. I remember seeing a transfer at Penzance when a 47 brought down a 08 with side rods removed and picked up another to take back. I have some photo's somewhere. I think transfers were done overnight to avoid delays to other services as they were slow!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
During my visits to Penzance in the early 80's it always seemed to be 641 and/or 644 present. I remember seeing a transfer at Penzance when a 47 brought down a 08 with side rods removed and picked up another to take back. I have some photo's somewhere. I think transfers were done overnight to avoid delays to other services as they were slow!

I'm pretty sure I remember that in the late 80s too.
Anyway 57306 should be painted in heritage desert sand livery and be named 'Sand Castle'. ;)

83G/84D

Established Member
I have managed to find out the history of current Penzance pilot 08410:-

To Newton Abbot (as D3525) 20/6/58
To Laira September 1963
To Newton Abbot June 1971
To Bristol Bath Road December 1976
To Ebbw Junction February 1978
To Cardiff Canton March 1979
To Swindon May 1980
To Laira April 1981
To Swindon January 1983
To Bristol Bath Road May 1987
To St Philip's Marsh August 1995
To Laira May 1999

It's not been in the far south west as much as you might think.
Although Penzance is not listed as a separate depot it's spells at Laira probably resulted in some visits to Penzance.

Interestingly 08801 was at Penzance for a while (named Laira) and had a collision with a parcels train in July 1990. Damage was relatively minor and it was back in service at Laira a few months later after repairs.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Interesting. Just seen one of the 08s hook up to 57306 at ooc and drag it off to the sheds. Wonder what's up with that.

co-tr-paul

Talking of 306, highly unlikely to be Castlised. Its prime role, as previously mentioned, is for ecs/emu work London end. Will be seen on NRiv occasionally as a loco is required for staff training down here and maintenance requirements. Nobody this end knows about its leasing details, direct PB or sub from DRS. It is now being maintained to the same standard as ours and using gwr paperwork rather than DRS...... .

Last edited: