• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR court hearing advice plus complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Right, I'll make that change and then send it off. Thanks for the helps everyone, it's much appreciated!
Yes, let us know how you get on if poss - as people here can advise on next stages if you find you have not got things resolved. You may want to keep a note of the thread link as I guess it could be some weeks before you know what they say.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flyxolydian

Yeah, I got a auto-message from GWR when I sent off the complaint that said that an answer would take longer than usual, due to their customer service dept is down as a result of the virus. it's usually supposed to be within 5 days, but who knows when I'll get an answer.
I'll update the thread when I get a response.

Flyxolydian

Right... update.

They've responded, and are going to refund the full amount (I just have to phone them up to sort this out). In terms of the court case, apparently they have to attend and withdraw the case in person on the day of the hearing. I'm not quite sure as to why this is the necessary route, but there's no mention of my presence being required, so we'll just let things play out I suppose.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I hope that this thread might help for others in a similar situation to me!

furlong

Established Member
If you've got a summons you really should respond to the court yourself - don't take the chance that GWR won't misplace its paperwork and get you convicted in your absence! Notify the court of (the relevant part of) what has been agreed yourself. E.g. if the last response from GWR was in writing, forward a copy to the court yourself, or if it was by phone, send a summary of the outcome (copied to GWR as well).

WesternLancer

Established Member
Right... update.

They've responded, and are going to refund the full amount (I just have to phone them up to sort this out). In terms of the court case, apparently they have to attend and withdraw the case in person on the day of the hearing. I'm not quite sure as to why this is the necessary route, but there's no mention of my presence being required, so we'll just let things play out I suppose.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I hope that this thread might help for others in a similar situation to me!
Thanks for update - I totally agree with Furlong. I'd make a note of time and date of call and who rung you (name) if you have it etc.

In fact I'd write it up as an e-mail with the info that you then send to GWR (and can thus copy to the Court) eg

Dear Sir/Madam
I am writing to confirm the nature of the telephone call when your representative [name] rang me on xxxxx. I understand you are going to repay me £xx and that you are going to withdraw the court case, and that I am not required to attend court.
etc etc

CC - Court

Unless you are a confident it really is all sorted of course.

Nice one anyway!

SteveM70

Established Member
Thanks for update - I totally agree with Furlong. I'd make a note of time and date of call and who rung you (name) if you have it etc.

In fact I'd write it up as an e-mail with the info that you then send to GWR (and can thus copy to the Court) eg

Dear Sir/Madam
I am writing to confirm the nature of the telephone call when your representative [name] rang me on xxxxx. I understand you are going to repay me £xx and that you are going to withdraw the court case, and that I am not required to attend court.
etc etc

CC - Court

Unless you are a confident it really is all sorted of course.

Nice one anyway!

I’d firm that up a bit and replace “I understand” with “xxxx clearly stated”

Flyxolydian

I've got it all in writing, as they emailed me with the decision/apology. The phone call was just to sort out the refund, which should be in within a couple of days.

Quoted from the email:

"Withdrawing your case

I can see that your case was scheduled to be heard on the[]. Due to COVID 19 the courts adjourned your case until the [], and this is why you have received their paperwork. On the [], I will attend the court and your case will be withdrawn. I am unable to do this before this date."

I suppose I could just forward the email to the court with a message, but it does seem like it's been sorted.

island

Veteran Member
Just make certain you get it in writing from GWR that they intend to drop the matter.

Once a court summons has been issued they do need to have someone show up and say they are presenting no evidence at which point the judge strikes the matter out.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I've got it all in writing, as they emailed me with the decision/apology. The phone call was just to sort out the refund, which should be in within a couple of days.

Quoted from the email:

"Withdrawing your case

I can see that your case was scheduled to be heard on the[]. Due to COVID 19 the courts adjourned your case until the [], and this is why you have received their paperwork. On the [], I will attend the court and your case will be withdrawn. I am unable to do this before this date."

I suppose I could just forward the email to the court with a message, but it does seem like it's been sorted.
cheers, nice one, and I defer to the other recent posts on this with which I agree, for what it's worth!But does sound like things really are sorted.

Flyxolydian

Hi guys, just a final update.

I had another letter from the court informing me that they'd brought the date of the hearing forward by a week. I actually got the letter the day before the date of the hearing, which wasn't ideal! I emailed GWR's prosecutions dept. to clarify as to whether my presence was required at the hearing, and they assured that it wasn't.

The hearing's been and gone, and I've heard no more about it, so I'm guessing that the matter is closed for good.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi guys, just a final update.

I had another letter from the court informing me that they'd brought the date of the hearing forward by a week. I actually got the letter the day before the date of the hearing, which wasn't ideal! I emailed GWR's prosecutions dept. to clarify as to whether my presence was required at the hearing, and they assured that it wasn't.

The hearing's been and gone, and I've heard no more about it, so I'm guessing that the matter is closed for good.
Thx for update - let's hope it really is sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.