• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Customer Service Apprenticeship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Hi all,
I have just finished my applications for the GWR Customer Service Apprenticeships.
I have applied for Bristol-Parkway, Bristol Temple-Meads, and Exeter St. David's.
It mentions that shifts are Monday through Saturday. I assume this means Sunday is a rest day, and two half days during the week. Could any past or present GWR operarions/customer service apprentices give a light onto shift patterns etc.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Melancholia

Hi all,
I have just finished my applications for the GWR Customer Service Apprenticeships.
I have applied for Bristol-Parkway, Bristol Temple-Meads, and Exeter St. David's.
It mentions that shifts are Monday through Saturday. I assume this means Sunday is a rest day, and two half days during the week. Could any past or present GWR operarions/customer service apprentices give a light onto shift patterns etc.
Thanks.

Shift patterns vary depot by depot, but you will not be starting before 0700 or finishing after 2000. Sundays are always off, and when I was an apprentice, rest days were always Saturdays, so you worked Monday-Thursday at your local station, and Fridays were a "study day", where you sat down with your whole group, and had a day to do coursework and assignments. Any further questions, do ask as I'm an ex-apprentice.

Also, good luck on your interviews and all that :smile:

Julius

Shift patterns vary depot by depot, but you will not be starting before 0700 or finishing after 2000. Sundays are always off, and when I was an apprentice, rest days were always Saturdays, so you worked Monday-Thursday at your local station, and Fridays were a "study day", where you sat down with your whole group, and had a day to do coursework and assignments. Any further questions, do ask as I'm an ex-apprentice.

Also, good luck on your interviews and all that :smile:
Thanks for that information! I am just curious as it says Monday through Saturday which I assume means working Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Melancholia

Thanks for that information! I am just curious as it says Monday through Saturday which I assume means working Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

That's correct. In that 6 day week, you get one rest day, which as far as I remember for everybody was Saturday, so you only work Mon-Fri.

Julius

Still haven't heard anything, obviously it takes a while (if successful) with the online assessments.
I live just outside 60 minutes travelling distance from all of the stations I applied for. Is this an automatic disqualification, or can you say you'd be prepared to re-locate if you get to the assesment/interview stage?
Thanks

Melancholia

It'll take a while until you hear back. Once you do, you'll be invited to an assessment, and if succesful, an interview on the same day.

It shouldn't be a problem that you're just out of the 60 min travel distance radius, however do ask using the contact details provided in the vacancy description. You can always say that you can relocate, however ask first if it would be required.

Julius

Thanks a lot Melancholia, I have since emailed First careers resourcing team explaining my situation.
Waiting for the applications to close and the waiting game to commence!

Status
Not open for further replies.