• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Dec 19 timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flinn Reed

With GWR simplifying the Cotswolds routes, replacing local services to/from Oxford or Swindon with direct London services, is there a reason why there won't a similar situation with Cornwall services?

With the Plymouth-Penzance route now served half-hourly, GWR could have introduced a regular hourly service from London to Penzance, extending those terminating at Plymouth. Then have an hourly service in between these terminating at Plymouth, and calling at additional stops. This could even involve splitting longer formations at Plymouth if necessary. The Penzance-Plymouth local stopping services are often operated by 5-car 802s anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With the Plymouth-Penzance route now served half-hourly, GWR could have introduced a regular hourly service from London to Penzance, extending those terminating at Plymouth. Then have an hourly service in between these terminating at Plymouth, and calling at additional stops.

I think the problem is justifying the cost of rolling stock for this and that the slower Plymouth service you suggest would be caught up by the time you got to Exeter.

The Penzance-Plymouth local stopping services are often operated by 5-car 802s anyway.

That has only been to train staff or to balance long-distance moves in the light of spare fleet capacity.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Weekdays:-

Greenford 2 (has to be)
Windsor 2
Marlow 2 (has to be)
Peak Bourne Ends 2
Henley 3

Basings are also both 3s

Has been for a couple of years now.

Three units on the Basingstoke, not two. (All 3-car.)

II

Mitchell, do you ever use Oxford station around 17.25? The idea that a two-car Turbo is going to be adequate provision on that service from Didcot beggars belief when set against the number of people there are waiting to board the current 16.22 from London to Great Malvern every afternoon.

Two-car Turbos used to leave Oxford full and standing 20 years ago at that time of the day, when the number of commuters from Hanborough in particular was far smaller than it is now. Even if no Worcestershire passengers are on board, it will not make much of a difference. Sure, anyone minded to join at Didcot will get a seat, but whether they will be able to get off at their destination through the scrum is another matter.

And even if GWR has omitted to show that the 16.20 from Paddington will connect with this Turbo at Oxford on the pdf and pocket timetable, people will still be trying to do that, as it is in the journey planners as a connection - and will be the last departure from Paddington that off-peak tickets are valid on ahead of the peak validity period kicking in.

I agree with your opinions on the Reading to Oxford service reductions, but I'm still far from convinced the new 17:23 to Moreton-In-Marsh will be anything other than a busy train with perhaps a handful of standees as far as the first stop on an average night. In other words, no different to many services at that time of day. It was a 2-car Turbo up until far more recently than 20 years ago - until late 2012 when the Class 180s began their second stint if memory serves. Yes, it was a busy train, but seats were usually available for everyone after eight minutes when it made its first call at Hanborough, and it left a little later then (around 17:32). With the new 17:45 hot on its heels from December I think enough people will spread over those two trains, not having to bust a gut to get down to the station for 17:23 or be left with the long wait until the next service that there currently is. We will of course find out in four weeks time.

Should I be wrong and it becomes too busy, there could be an easy fix for the following May timetable change (provided a 3-car Turbo can be found, which should be easier if, and it remains an if, 769s arrive on time to their revised delivery schedule), without messing around with local door operation. You make it into a 3-car Turbo and just take out the Combe and Finstock stops and put them on the 17:45 instead.

Ascott and Shipton calls remain on the 17:23 with 3-car Turbos OK to call and open all doors. The 17:45 has a 2-minute pathing allowance between Charlbury and Ascott (waiting for the 17:23 to reach Moreton) which means stopping it at Combe and Finstock could use that allowance and it would not need to have its schedule messed around by more than a minute or two at most west of Ascott. Also, with two less calls, the 17:23 would clear Ascott a few minutes earlier so that would help to give a fraction more resilience to what is a very tight timetable.

Envoy

Established Member
One of the greatest time savings for any journey resulting from the change of timetables allied with the opening of Worcestershire Parkway, must be Cardiff to Pershore. At present, using a variety of combinations such as going via Hereford or Worcester or Didcot, this can take anything between 2 hours 20 minutes and 3 hours 33 minutes. Once the new station opens - along with the new schedules, the Cardiff to Pershore journey will be around 1 hour 42 minutes each way using Cross Country’s Nottingham services allied with GWR on the north Cotswold line. I am concerned however, by just how the short XC Turbostar trains are going to cope with extra demand? At least Transport for Wales are going to start operating the same type of train between Cheltenham & south Wales which might induce some people to use them.

I also note that the new schedules show people travelling between south Wales and the south west are usually advised to change at Bristol Parkway rather than Temple Meads as at present. This would take some of the load off the Portsmouths.

I further note that GWR will have all stops direct trains running from Cardiff at 8am & 1pm to Plymouth taking 3 hours 29 minutes. From Plymouth, GWR have all stops direct trains to Cardiff at 12.49 & 18.45 taking 3 hours 34 minutes. I presume that these are HST’s? That being so, despite all the stops, I feel that many people would rather use these services than make a switch at Bristol Parkway to/from the faster XC services - especially as by the time you have allowed a time delay for the change, the total journey time saved is not that great. Throw in the fact that the fares on these stoppers are likely to undercut the ‘express’ fares, and it becomes a no brainer. It is just a pity that no early ‘stopper’ leaves Plymouth for Cardiff.

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
I agree with your opinions on the Reading to Oxford service reductions, but I'm still far from convinced the new 17:23 to Moreton-In-Marsh will be anything other than a busy train with perhaps a handful of standees as far as the first stop on an average night. In other words, no different to many services at that time of day. It was a 2-car Turbo up until far more recently than 20 years ago - until late 2012 when the Class 180s began their second stint if memory serves. Yes, it was a busy train, but seats were usually available for everyone after eight minutes when it made its first call at Hanborough, and it left a little later then (around 17:32). With the new 17:45 hot on its heels from December I think enough people will spread over those two trains, not having to bust a gut to get down to the station for 17:23 or be left with the long wait until the next service that there currently is. We will of course find out in four weeks time.

Should I be wrong and it becomes too busy, there could be an easy fix for the following May timetable change (provided a 3-car Turbo can be found, which should be easier if, and it remains an if, 769s arrive on time to their revised delivery schedule), without messing around with local door operation. You make it into a 3-car Turbo and just take out the Combe and Finstock stops and put them on the 17:45 instead.

Ascott and Shipton calls remain on the 17:23 with 3-car Turbos OK to call and open all doors. The 17:45 has a 2-minute pathing allowance between Charlbury and Ascott (waiting for the 17:23 to reach Moreton) which means stopping it at Combe and Finstock could use that allowance and it would not need to have its schedule messed around by more than a minute or two at most west of Ascott. Also, with two less calls, the 17:23 would clear Ascott a few minutes earlier so that would help to give a fraction more resilience to what is a very tight timetable.

I know it was a Turbo a lot more recently - I had to try to get a seat on the thing out of Oxford many times during the period the 180s had disappeared and remember people lining up at the points where the Turbo's doors would open well before the train had arrived - usually before the connecting HST from London had even turned up - and precious few of those travelling from Oxford were/are going to the western end of the route.

It often left a lot later than 17.32, due to the chaos on the platform with the often ridiculously slow dispatch of the empty HST to the sidings and the passengers from Oxford mixed up with those connecting from Reading and London, plus everyone waiting for the northbound 17.36 XC departure - resulting at one point in the infamous 'stop all the Turbos way up the platform, out in the open, whatever the weather' edict, so that the Voyager could use permissive working to get into the platform behind it to try to minimise any delay to that train.

You seem to set a lot of store by the new 17.45 off Oxford, but, as I noted above, this is a peak train for ticketing purposes out of London, so the 16.20 to Oxford, with a change there, is going to remain the last option for anyone in London with an off-peak ticket to get to the stations out to Moreton-in-Marsh until the 18.58. Plus there will be the connecting passengers from somewhere beginning with R, who currently have a direct journey.

Please don't tell me you think that people will not be well aware of the connection, even if the pdf timetable doesn't show it - and I have my doubts that many passengers from Oxford who can make a 17.25 departure at present will be switching to the 17.45, whereas I do expect that train's introduction to make a notable difference to the numbers catching the 18.24 departure from Oxford, when compared with the current 18.17. There are a lot of people who are not able to get a train at 17.20 to 17.30, but could catch something at 17.45 or so and will do so like a shot.

Hence why I doubt a Turbo's ability to cope at 17.23 - if a five-car IET is sent out instead of a nine-car on the current 16.22 Paddington to Great Malvern, people are still standing out to Charlbury and every inch of floor space in aisles and vestibules is filled with standees out to Hanborough - who may not be overly enamoured of being expected to stand wedged in a vestibule every afternoon, whatever their journey time may be. Saying 'there's another train with more seats in 22 minutes' is not necessarily going to go down well.

The distinct impression I have got is that three-car Turbos freed up by the eventual arrival of 769s at Reading depot are going to be sent straight to Bristol, with nothing much more than two-car sets left at Reading, nor have I ever detected any enthusiasm for doing things like splitting calls at the halts. Having to serve them has been seen as a nuisance for a very long time now - and I can't see GWR wanting to use a scarce three-car Turbo, should some survive at Reading, just to serve two of the halts, then park it in a siding at Moreton-in-Marsh for an hour, with it finally getting back to Oxford at 19.50 after running back near-empty all the way - when it could have doing something else to earn some money in the meantime. Fit any three-car Reading 165s with the door controls the Bristol sets have and you might be talking.

As for putting calls at Combe International and Finstock into a 'Superfast' train, I don't think so. Mark Hopwood's phone would be ringing off the hook with calls from Worcestershire's MPs.

Rich McLean

Established Member
One of the greatest time savings for any journey resulting from the change of timetables allied with the opening of Worcestershire Parkway, must be Cardiff to Pershore. At present, using a variety of combinations such as going via Hereford or Worcester or Didcot, this can take anything between 2 hours 20 minutes and 3 hours 33 minutes. Once the new station opens - along with the new schedules, the Cardiff to Pershore journey will be around 1 hour 42 minutes each way using Cross Country’s Nottingham services allied with GWR on the north Cotswold line. I am concerned however, by just how the short XC Turbostar trains are going to cope with extra demand? At least Transport for Wales are going to start operating the same type of train between Cheltenham & south Wales which might induce some people to use them.

I also note that the new schedules show people travelling between south Wales and the south west are usually advised to change at Bristol Parkway rather than Temple Meads as at present. This wold take some of the load off the Portsmouths.

I further note that GWR will have all stops direct trains running from Cardiff at 8am & 1pm to Plymouth taking 3 hours 29 minutes. From Plymouth, GWR have all stops direct trains to Cardiff at 12.49 & 18.45 taking 3 hours 34 minutes. I presume that these are HST’s? That being so, despite all the stops, I feel that many people would rather use these services than make a switch at Bristol Parkway to/from the faster XC services - especially as by the time you have allowed a time delay for the change, the total journey time saved is not that great. Throw in the fact that the fares on these stoppers are likely to undercut the ‘express’ fares, and it becomes a no brainer. It is just a pity that no early ‘stopper’ leaves Plymouth for Cardiff.

The 0640 off Penzance (0847 off Plymouth) also goes direct to Cardiff and forms the 1300 to Penzance from Cardiff from the TT change

II

You seem to set a lot of store by the new 17.45 off Oxford, but, as I noted above, this is a peak train for ticketing purposes out of London, so the 16.20 to Oxford, with a change there, is going to remain the last option for anyone in London with an off-peak ticket to get to the stations out to Moreton-in-Marsh until the 18.58. Plus there will be the connecting passengers from somewhere beginning with R, who currently have a direct journey.

Please don't tell me you think that people will not be well aware of the connection, even if the pdf timetable doesn't show it - and I have my doubts that many passengers from Oxford who can make a 17.25 departure at present will be switching to the 17.45, whereas I do expect that train's introduction to make a notable difference to the numbers catching the 18.24 departure from Oxford, when compared with the current 18.17. There are a lot of people who are not able to get a train at 17.20 to 17.30, but could catch something at 17.45 or so and will do so like a shot.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing as it's a listed journey on the planners and I'm sure it will still suit some people who currently use it as a through train, though I would expect others to be put off by the change of train and extended journey time over the through trains either side of it. The 15:50 is off-peak and direct, and whilst the 16:58 is peak, there are still some quite reasonable advance fares to be had on it. As an example currently on December 18th you could go from Moreton to London on the 08:10 arriving 09:37 and return on the 16:58 with advance fares totalling £36.50.

Hence why I doubt a Turbo's ability to cope at 17.23 - if a five-car IET is sent out instead of a nine-car on the current 16.22 Paddington to Great Malvern, people are still standing out to Charlbury and every inch of floor space in aisles and vestibules is filled with standees out to Hanborough - who may not be overly enamoured of being expected to stand wedged in a vestibule every afternoon, whatever their journey time may be. Saying 'there's another train with more seats in 22 minutes' is not necessarily going to go down well.

It's been a 5-car several times over the past few weeks and I'm afraid I haven't noticed any such levels of crowding at a time of year I would expect to be pretty much the busiest it would get. A couple of dozen standees on departure from Oxford on the two times I specifically looked at it, so seats for anyone who wanted one after Hanborough. It was a 9-car on Monday when I purposely observed it because of this discussion and I reckon the back three standard class carriages had a grand total of about 30-40 people in them. I'll have another look tomorrow.

The one time it does struggle capacity wise is when the previous 15:50 PAD-MIM only gets as far as Oxford as happens too often. With that train running through to Great Malvern from December the opportunity to curtail it at Oxford will be a much less tempting one - indeed I would expect the 17:23 will be the one that's culled if there are delays, with stops for all the halts lobbed onto the following not-so-Superfast!

Anyway, like I said, we'll find out soon enough.

Bill Badger

The near total abandonment of a clock face timetable for services on the North Downs Line, particularly in the Reading to Gatwick direction is annoying. However, I'll just about forgive this irritant as they have plugged the evening peak hour gap from Reading to Farnborough North.

jimm

Established Member
I wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing as it's a listed journey on the planners and I'm sure it will still suit some people who currently use it as a through train, though I would expect others to be put off by the change of train and extended journey time over the through trains either side of it. The 15:50 is off-peak and direct, and whilst the 16:58 is peak, there are still some quite reasonable advance fares to be had on it. As an example currently on December 18th you could go from Moreton to London on the 08:10 arriving 09:37 and return on the 16:58 with advance fares totalling £36.50.

Great if you can book in advance, not great if you are having to travel at short notice. People were never put off by having to change at Oxford when the 16.2x terminated there in the past, nor have they been put off by the extended journey time of the 16.22 from Paddington since the halts service worked through (it adds near enough 30 minutes to my journey when I use it). And the extra half-hour in London, then getting the 16.20, is going to be a factor for some people, even if the new 08.13 off Worcester will allow an extra 30 minutes there in the morning using an off-peak ticket.

It's been a 5-car several times over the past few weeks and I'm afraid I haven't noticed any such levels of crowding at a time of year I would expect to be pretty much the busiest it would get. A couple of dozen standees on departure from Oxford on the two times I specifically looked at it, so seats for anyone who wanted one after Hanborough. It was a 9-car on Monday when I purposely observed it because of this discussion and I reckon the back three standard class carriages had a grand total of about 30-40 people in them. I'll have another look tomorrow.

The one time it does struggle capacity wise is when the previous 15:50 PAD-MIM only gets as far as Oxford as happens too often. With that train running through to Great Malvern from December the opportunity to curtail it at Oxford will be a much less tempting one - indeed I would expect the 17:23 will be the one that's culled if there are delays, with stops for all the halts lobbed onto the following not-so-Superfast!

Anyway, like I said, we'll find out soon enough.

As I have travelled on the 16.22 twice in the past three weeks (and on other occasions) when a five-car IET turned up I feel pretty confident about my description of conditions on board leaving Oxford - unless all the passengers boarding at Oxford packed into the coach I was in, but if what I saw was replicated in the rest of the train, there were something north of 400 people on board as far as Hanborough both times - which would tally with there being seats to spare when it is formed by a nine-car, unless, as you say, the 15.50 terminates at Oxford or is cancelled outright.

I can't say I will be rushing to find out what happens next month - fortunately my boss is flexible on hours when I go into Reading, so I will be purposely avoiding using the halts train - and trying as best I can to avoid Voyagers on the way home as well.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The near total abandonment of a clock face timetable for services on the North Downs Line, particularly in the Reading to Gatwick direction is annoying. However, I'll just about forgive this irritant as they have plugged the evening peak hour gap from Reading to Farnborough North.

It is still 45 minutes after the 1718 then 58 minutes after the 1803.

It is shame there is only a unit available for the 1648 and not a similar train an hour later. Indeed, the closeness of the 1647 and 1658 is a bit of a waste in terms of Reading capacity. However, the unit which does the 1647 then fills a gap in services for Guildford's peak and the departure just after 1900 which can't be covered by a unit in the normal three hour cycle because of the need to serve the stations east from Guildford and west from Redhill and Reigate.

The whole North Downs timetable, of course, is a compromise between serving all the relevant markets with the least amount of rolling stock, staff and obviously cost.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Are there any timetables that tell you what the service is booked for? E.g. 3 car turbo, 5 car 800 etc?

nw1

Established Member

That line has been clock face for as long as I can remember (autumn 1982) with some peak hour variations - in the 80s in the class 119 days, the typical pattern was to have the fast and stopper at more or less exact half hour intervals at Guildford (i.e. xx23 slow and xx53 fast to Reading, xx14 Tonbridge slow, xx43 Gatwick fast). The timing was just right to allow connections off the up Portsmouth Direct towards Reading and vice-versa, though whether that was intentional I'm not sure.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That line has been clock face for as long as I can remember (autumn 1982) with some peak hour variations - in the 80s in the class 119 days, the typical pattern was to have the fast and stopper at more or less exact half hour intervals at Guildford (i.e. xx23 slow and xx53 fast to Reading, xx14 Tonbridge slow, xx43 Gatwick fast). The timing was just right to allow connections off the up Portsmouth Direct towards Reading and vice-versa, though whether that was intentional I'm not sure.
But if half an hour apart at Guildford they presumably couldn’t have been similarly clock face at Reading or Redhill as well?

II

As an aside from discussions about the new 17:03 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh service being able to cope with numbers from Oxford, it'll be interesting to see how it copes from Didcot Parkway to Oxford. There will just about be enough seats for everyone, but there has been a long standing breach of cycle policy (driver only, so no easy way of enforcing the supposed limit of two bikes per Turbo) meaning that anything from 10-15 bikes are usually crammed on board the current Didcot to Oxford equivalent 3-car Turbo service, most of which join at Culham.

With that becoming a 2-car, and presumably remaining Driver Only Operated as far as Oxford, it could get interesting!

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...kQxfQBCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw0tIgMlvPIizvoQM5bKdnpm

I'm aware (or believe) I'm meant to provide a quote. However, I'm not sure what quote to put so I'll just say that the next Customer Panel meeting in London or nearby could result in unhappy customers.

I don't mean to be blunt or dramatic but the journey to and from London and Maidenhead won't exactly be several hours on the Crossrail and GWR trains. They should be lucky that they have access to food and hospitals and train journeys at all - there's some places in the UK that have limited (or no) service or even lack of transport in rural areas that are very vulnerable to very poor weather - a little worse than in built up areas!

(Off topic on this bit and that's it) It's like in my hometown of Abingdon - no direct bus to Oxford Rail Station forecourt and the JR Hospital (JR except Sundays) but actually it's hardly making a difference!

As regards Maidenhead, it'll take just an extra what 5 to 10 minutes longer that's all.

hwl

Established Member
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...kQxfQBCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw0tIgMlvPIizvoQM5bKdnpm

I'm aware (or believe) I'm meant to provide a quote. However, I'm not sure what quote to put so I'll just say that the next Customer Panel meeting in London or nearby could result in unhappy customers.

I don't mean to be blunt or dramatic but the journey to and from London and Maidenhead won't exactly be several hours on the Crossrail and GWR trains. They should be lucky that they have access to food and hospitals and train journeys at all - there's some places in the UK that have limited (or no) service or even lack of transport in rural areas that are very vulnerable to very poor weather - a little worse than in built up areas!

(Off topic on this bit and that's it) It's like in my hometown of Abingdon - no direct bus to Oxford Rail Station forecourt and the JR Hospital (JR except Sundays) but actually it's hardly making a difference!

As regards Maidenhead, it'll take just an extra what 5 to 10 minutes longer that's all.
The complaint is about fast evening services from Maidenhead to London which isn't the peak flow direction!
That situation should improve a bit from the post December state with the full CR service in 2 years.
Crossrail is actually a distraction in all of this as the root cause is the major changes to the long distance GW timetable.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Your post shows how uniformed you are of the current situation.
The current fast services are very well used, quite how you can write about that, when you travel on fast IETs to/from Didcot is quite hypocritical

jimm

Established Member
As an aside from discussions about the new 17:03 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh service being able to cope with numbers from Oxford, it'll be interesting to see how it copes from Didcot Parkway to Oxford. There will just about be enough seats for everyone, but there has been a long standing breach of cycle policy (driver only, so no easy way of enforcing the supposed limit of two bikes per Turbo) meaning that anything from 10-15 bikes are usually crammed on board the current Didcot to Oxford equivalent 3-car Turbo service, most of which join at Culham.

With that becoming a 2-car, and presumably remaining Driver Only Operated as far as Oxford, it could get interesting!

Or just an even bigger, almightier mess than the last time two-car Turbos were used at that time of the day out of Oxford, while the people with bikes fight their way off through the crowds clustered around the doors on the platform, who then fight their way on board.

I see that the working timetable optimistically allows just 90 seconds for all this to happen. I suspect that departure time is going to be rather nearer to 17.27, when it is mean to be turning left at Wolvercote.

MarlowDonkey

Or just an even bigger, almightier mess than the last time two-car Turbos were used at that time of the day out of Oxford, while the people with bikes fight their way off through the crowds clustered around the doors on the platform, who then fight their way on board.

There's been a modest refit to the two car Turbos where the former first class compartment behind one of the driver's cabs has been partly converted into a bike and standing area with seats on just one side.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There's been a modest refit to the two car Turbos where the former first class compartment behind one of the driver's cabs has been partly converted into a bike and standing area with seats on just one side.

To be pedantic, the bike and standing area is in the former standard class end - the first class end was converted to standard class seating .

MarlowDonkey

For those that wanted to see the stopping GWR services and TfL services between Paddington and Reading on the same timetable. Tfl have updated the timetable on their website with the GWR services.
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-rail-...-timetable-15-dec-2019-to-16-may-2020.pdf.pdf
That's all very well, but incomplete.

In the evening there's a service at 21:15 calling at Slough and Maidenhead. It's not shown. There will be others.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...ndResponseId=4&isOutboundJourneySelected=true

JN114

Established Member
Not exactly a stopping service if it’s just Slough and Maidenhead.

jimm

Established Member

Which is not going to stop a lot of people getting on at unstaffed Culham and sticking the 10 or 15 bikes in the vestibules along the length of train - or if they do dutifully go to the bike rack area, they will render one of the four doors useless while they all get themselves sorted out and get off the train. The current 17.06 from Didcot terminates at Oxford, so there is no great pressure on the cyclists to get off quickly, nor lots of people trying to get on board at the same time.

Not exactly a stopping service if it’s just Slough and Maidenhead.

The point was that the previous version of the TfL timetable gave the impression that there were no other services than TfL available, whatever the calling pattern.

Needless to say, the new GWR timetable T10 does a rather better job of showing what will be running, especially for those living in Maidenhead and Twyford.

Status
Not open for further replies.