• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Dec 19 timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentrailman

It's a Tuesday. I am on the 0853 fast Bristol Temple meads to Paddington that stops only at Parkway having started at Temple meads. Leaving temple meads there were five people in the entire carriage !!

I watched the 0830 ' slow' service to Paddington leave Temple Meads having come from Taunton, the train I used to use before the time changes. It was full and standing and still has to stop at Bath, Chippenham, Swindon, Didcot, Reading. The earlier train arrives in paddington 13 minutes before this one. I know which one I would rather be on for the sake of 13 minutes :) .
Interestingly, far more got on at parkway than Temple Meads. After parkway the carriage is perhaps one fifth full but still a lot better than full and standing ! Of course sooner or later people will presumably also work it out for themselves, but for the moment .. I will enjoy it while it lasts !!
Also interestingly, on the gwr and other journey planners, as far as I can see, the earlier slow train is shown as a peak train ( it used to be off peak ) and this fast one is shown as the first off peak. When on the station and also at the ticket machines at Temple Meads however, the indicator boards say off peak tickets are in fact valid on the earlier train.

Since the new timetable, I also notice a similar pattern at paddington, the slow trains leave rammed full yet the new faster trains leave empty.

Lovely to not stop at reading ( sorry Reading folks) in particular as in recent years the trains get swamped there in both directions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kentrailman

Spoke too soon .. stopped at reading at platform .. But doors were not opened.... ! Now running on diesel. ' overhead line failure ' . Maybe should have got earlier train after all !

HowardGWR

Established Member
Spoke too soon .. stopped at reading at platform .. But doors were not opened.... ! Now running on diesel. ' overhead line failure ' . Maybe should have got earlier train after all !
I see both trains were similarly around a quarter of an hour late (the Taunton 13 minutes and yours 18 minutes) so arrivals were at 1020 and 1033 and your choice remained the better one overall! Bi-modes proved themselves though,didn't they?

RichT54

One useful effect of the new timetable is that when I return to Reading to catch a North Downs Line train home, it's already waiting in the station for quite a time before departure. This means I can sit down on the train instead of having to wait on the platform.

I notice that the train's engines are left running the whole time with consequent exhaust pollution and use of fuel. Is this necessary to keep the lights and other systems working? When the class 769s finally arrive, I assume this won't be necessary as they would be able to get power from the third rail.

kentrailman

I see both trains were similarly around a quarter of an hour late (the Taunton 13 minutes and yours 18 minutes) so arrivals were at 1020 and 1033 and your choice remained the better one overall! Bi-modes proved themselves though,didn't they?
So I can claim some delay repay money as well :) had I got the earlier train I would have missed that .. Unless I had fibbed !

Bikeman78

Established Member
Yesterday was my first run on GWR since the new timetable. Did the 08:18 from Cardiff. Bizarrely it uses platform 4 at Bristol Parkway. This is painfully slow; I'm pretty sure the signal is approach controlled and the speed through the points is low as well. Then there is the slow departure. It appears that quite a few of the up Swansea trains are booked through platform 4.

At Swindon we used platform 1. Again this is slower than platform 3. The majority of Paddington bound trains are booked through 1. I can see that the up Swansea trains departing at XX:21 conflict with the down Cheltenhams but that doesn't apply to all the other trains. Anyway, got to Paddington on time despite a late XC nipping out in front at Didcot. Incidentally the fast 1H18 caught up just after Swindon. I was watching on opentraintimes.

Coming back I opted to try the 387s on the 18:42 Didcot as far as Reading. The ticket gates rejected my ticket, despite off peak tickets being valid from 18:31. The gentleman at the gates was happy to let me through. The 18:42 was pretty quiet. I don't think many people know it exists yet and it went from platform 14 which is the last place you'd expect a fast train to Reading. The 18:47 Swansea had hundreds of Reading passengers on. I took this back to Cardiff. Three late from Reading, back on time from Swindon but then scuppered by another late XC so five late from Bristol Parkway.

Very good overall though hopefully some of the platforming at Parkway and Swindon can be tweaked on the up trains.

II

I notice that the train's engines are left running the whole time with consequent exhaust pollution and use of fuel. Is this necessary to keep the lights and other systems working? When the class 769s finally arrive, I assume this won't be necessary as they would be able to get power from the third rail.

You can have the engines off for a certain amount of time without failure of the lights (though they will soon go into lower levels of 'emergency' lighting, especially the 166s). Depends on what state the batteries are in. Without the compressor running the air will slowly leak out and eventually stop the doors from working properly - again that depends on the state of the unit, some are good for 30 minutes or more. The thing that stops immediately is the heating/air-con, which of course can be a problem at either temperature extreme. No reason why a set can't be left with its engines off for 15-20 minutes in a station though unless it's exceptionally cold/warm, as long as the driver arrives in good time to fire it up again and wait for the air to build. As long as the 769s are able to run on electric at a given location, there should be no need for any engines to be running.

Adsy125

Based on the lack of complaint on here, despite predictions to the contrary, this timetable change seems to have gone relatively well (for reliability) so far, is that fair to say?

II

By and large, yes I think that's fair to say. There are some issues, and some areas are performing worse than others, but in the main the timetable works. Some of the Superfasts could clearly be even quicker than they are, but they catch up with other services in front, and for the most part the IET operated services are keeping to time without too much trouble. The number of short formations has been higher than it should be, as has the number of cancellations, but not to a level that many feared. Certainly not the disaster several on here were predicting.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
One useful effect of the new timetable is that when I return to Reading to catch a North Downs Line train home, it's already waiting in the station for quite a time before departure. This means I can sit down on the train instead of having to wait on the platform.

Make the most of that. The turnarounds in the 3tph timetable appear to be somewhat tighter at Reading.

irish_rail

Established Member
Based on the lack of complaint on here, despite predictions to the contrary, this timetable change seems to have gone relatively well (for reliability) so far, is that fair to say?
Short forms every single day on the Penzance to Paddington route is a bit of a problem . For long journeys the least folk can expect is the full length train with their reserved seat for a 3 hour plus journey. Other than that and multiple infrastructure issues not too bad. Tho the short forms definitely needs addressing.

Beemax

Paddington to Reading has generally been good, with lots of 'plan B' options in the case of short forms or cancellations. Not so sure about the tfl stopping trains to Reading though. I've heard reports that the lack of toilet facilities is making things particularly unpleasant on late evening trains.

si404

Established Member
I've heard reports that the lack of toilet facilities is making things particularly unpleasant on late evening trains.
Well people were moaning a lot about that. In fact, so much that you would have thought that even drunk people would have it ingrained that purple trains have no toilets.

The stations do, of course.

II

GWR Public Performance Measure punctuality currently at 94% for the day so far (98% over the last two hours), against a UK wide average for the day of 87%. Yesterday wasn't so good mind, down in the mid-80s.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Short forms every single day on the Penzance to Paddington route is a bit of a problem . For long journeys the least folk can expect is the full length train with their reserved seat for a 3 hour plus journey. Other than that and multiple infrastructure issues not too bad. Tho the short forms definitely needs addressing.

That's high praise indeed coming from IR :D

jimm

Established Member
By and large, yes I think that's fair to say. There are some issues, and some areas are performing worse than others, but in the main the timetable works. Some of the Superfasts could clearly be even quicker than they are, but they catch up with other services in front, and for the most part the IET operated services are keeping to time without too much trouble. The number of short formations has been higher than it should be, as has the number of cancellations, but not to a level that many feared. Certainly not the disaster several on here were predicting.

I'm afraid the superfasts have already got a reputation as a bit of a bad joke up the Cotswold Line, with punctuality pretty miserable most days so far. It looks far too much like the evening peak service in HST days at the moment, with regular late running on the afternoon and evening peak trains out of London and any supposed time gains by superfasts over trains that call at Reading the rest of the day are near non-existent, due to late running, both before and after Oxford, or late starts from Paddington.

Today's superfast arrivals at Moreton-in-Marsh - usually a good point at which to check what is going on (free of the timing allowances in the Worcester area and the helping hand provided at the moment by trains not calling at the Parkway):

16.58 - 14 minutes late
17.58 - 6 late
18.58 - 13 late
With the 17.34, which does call at Reading, 7 late as well. Allowances etc had it back to one minute late into Hereford.

Yesterday's superfast tally was four late, four late, one late (with the Didcot-to Moreton-in-Marsh halts trains and the return run cancelled past Oxford)

Monday's tally was 11 late, 19 late and the 18.58 on time (but then delayed 13 minutes at Shrub Hill, yet still made it one minute early into Hereford, due to not sitting around at Great Malvern for six minutes and Ledbury for nine for pathing purposes.

The halts train has also struggled to keep to time and its late running has already meant at least two unscheduled stops at Ascott-under-Wychwood for the 16.58, waiting for the Turbo to clear the signal section to Moreton-in-Marsh.

GWR Public Performance Measure punctuality currently at 94% for the day so far (98% over the last two hours), against a UK wide average for the day of 87%. Yesterday wasn't so good mind, down in the mid-80s.

But nothing like that in late afternoon today, after a bit of the overhead broke somewhere near Slough or Hayes & Harlington. I think a staff member said it was a dropper wire.

FGW_DID

Established Member
the overhead broke somewhere near Slough or Hayes & Harlington. I think a staff member said it was a dropper wire.

Yes, a broken dropper wire on the Up Main near Slough, which then got clattered by 387147 on 1K55 14.26 Newbury - Paddington, causing a power trip & ADD activation. 1Z99 (57306) was launched from Reading TCD to recover the unit.

II

The halts train has also struggled to keep to time and its late running has already meant at least two unscheduled stops at Ascott-under-Wychwood for the 16.58, waiting for the Turbo to clear the signal section to Moreton-in-Marsh.

Yes, it's very tight at that time of day. Even if the 'Halts' train is on time, the 16:58 will likely get slowed or stopped at Ascott given its 2 minute pathing allowance due to following it. Although as it is, it seems the 16:58 more often than not gets checked by a couple of minutes to allow a freight to follow the previous XC at Wolvercote Junction anyway.

At least the XC connections from Reading have been performing much better than before Christmas.

But nothing like that in late afternoon today, after a bit of the overhead broke somewhere near Slough or Hayes & Harlington. I think a staff member said it was a dropper wire.

Indeed, and that was the principal cause of the delays to the Superfasts on the Cotswold Line yesterday. The 16:58 left 13 minutes late after waiting the driver to finish his break, having arrived some 45 minutes late on his previous up working which got caught up in the woes at Slough. Despite being tight behind a HEx from Paddington, and losing a further 4 minutes as a result, it recovered five minutes of the overall delay by Hinskey before having to wait a platform at Oxford for three minutes as the 17:55 to Banbury waited time. Platform 5, now please!

jimm

Established Member
Yes, it's very tight at that time of day. Even if the 'Halts' train is on time, the 16:58 will likely get slowed or stopped at Ascott given its 2 minute pathing allowance due to following it. Although as it is, it seems the 16:58 more often than not gets checked by a couple of minutes to allow a freight to follow the previous XC at Wolvercote Junction anyway.

At least the XC connections from Reading have been performing much better than before Christmas.

I can't say that the freight service has been a particular problem on any of the days I've used the 16.58 past Oxford, maybe a trundle to Wolvercote one day but nothing like the issue that the enforced stop at Ascott-under-Wychwood seems to developing into at a rate of knots.

The 16.58 got held there again today and was five late at Kingham and Moreton-in-Marsh as a result.

When the halts train was a Turbo from the Didcot in the past, persistent late running over a long period eventually saw the time allowed between Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh padded out to 52 minutes - a timing which somehow survived throughout all the years of 180 and IET operation (both types of train spent a lot of time sat at Charlbury and Kingham awaiting departure time as a result).

At the moment the 165 is allowed 44 minutes - which would appear to require some pretty heroic driving to begin with - and there appears to be no allowance for the restrictions imposed by approach control at Moreton for a terminating service. These are usually brought down to a near-standstill at the outer home signal, so this can't be helping matters when combined with the 11-mile signal section back to Ascott-under-Wychwood.

And while XC may be making the connections at Oxford now (just about in several cases, looking at when trains pass Didcot), conditions on board when compared with a GWR IET from Reading back to Oxford or direct to Cotswold Line stations are lousy.

Today the 15.45 from Bournemouth got a four-car set, rather than a five-car (I'm not even sure what variety of Voyager is meant to be on the diagram, as it seems to vary day by day). Instant result, vestibules full of standing passengers all the way to Oxford, where things got even worse, with people filling all the aisles as well when it left for Banbury.

FenMan

Established Member
Today the 15.45 from Bournemouth got a four-car set, rather than a five-car (I'm not even sure what variety of Voyager is meant to be on the diagram, as it seems to vary day by day). Instant result, vestibules full of standing passengers all the way to Oxford, where things got even worse, with people filling all the aisles as well when it left for Banbury.

To be fair, the new GWR timetable cannot be held to account for overcrowding on a XC service between Oxford and Banbury.

jimm

Established Member
To be fair, the new GWR timetable cannot be held to account for overcrowding on a XC service between Oxford and Banbury.

My point is more generally about overcrowding in the area - and the role of the GWR timetable in creating even more of that, by putting lots more passengers on to XC trains between Reading and Oxford.

The removal of several GWR fast services from Reading to Oxford in the afternoon and evening peak has also worsened the XC dwell times at Oxford, as huge numbers now get off the XC trains, before anyone heading north gets on and tries to find somewhere to sit.

They may have managed to set themselves out a bit, with more seated, once the train I got off was back on the move towards Banbury, but when XC had well-known problems anyway, the GWR changes have only added to them.

Last edited:

II

I can't say that the freight service has been a particular problem on any of the days I've used the 16.58 past Oxford, maybe a trundle to Wolvercote one day but nothing like the issue that the enforced stop at Ascott-under-Wychwood seems to developing into at a rate of knots.

The 16.58 got held there again today and was five late at Kingham and Moreton-in-Marsh as a result.

When the halts train was a Turbo from the Didcot in the past, persistent late running over a long period eventually saw the time allowed between Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh padded out to 52 minutes - a timing which somehow survived throughout all the years of 180 and IET operation (both types of train spent a lot of time sat at Charlbury and Kingham awaiting departure time as a result).

At the moment the 165 is allowed 44 minutes - which would appear to require some pretty heroic driving to begin with - and there appears to be no allowance for the restrictions imposed by approach control at Moreton for a terminating service. These are usually brought down to a near-standstill at the outer home signal, so this can't be helping matters when combined with the 11-mile signal section back to Ascott-under-Wychwood.

I've no doubt the running of 2E14 will improve slightly over time as crews that have never stopped, or not for several years at least, at Combe, Finstock and Ascott in that direction hone their braking points and the precise stopping required at Combe and Finstock. Though probably not enough to make more than a minute or so difference in total. The sectional running times from Kingham to Moreton for terminating trains has never been any different from through services, which given the signalling rules that apply (the 'at a stand or nearly at a stand' absolute block signalling rule), has always struck me as rather strange. I suppose the section signal at Moreton could be cleared to allow it to enter the station at maximum speed, but that would involve extra faff with Moreton and Evesham 'boxes.

Perhaps time to consider my proposal in post #757 on 19th November? The one about putting the Combe and Finstock stops on the following 1W33.

It was made due to concerns on capacity with the 2-car Turbo working the 'Halts' train as a way of allowing a 3-car train to work that service, but is just as relevant as a proposal to give a little more slack in the very tight timings that 2E14 seems unable to keep to between Oxford and Moreton.

So, I've attached a suggested timetable amendment, based on what I said before. It gives 2E14 an extra minute loading at Oxford, and then an extra three minutes to get to Moreton (after allowing for time saved by removing the two stops). It gives more time between 2E14 arriving at Moreton and 1W33 passing Ascott - up from one minute to five minutes. I think it's a much more workable timetable.

Cotswold Line tinkering.JPG

jimm

Established Member
I've no doubt the running of 2E14 will improve slightly over time as crews that have never stopped, or not for several years at least, at Combe, Finstock and Ascott in that direction hone their braking points and the precise stopping required at Combe and Finstock. Though probably not enough to make more than a minute or so difference in total. The sectional running times from Kingham to Moreton for terminating trains has never been any different from through services, which given the signalling rules that apply (the 'at a stand or nearly at a stand' absolute block signalling rule), has always struck me as rather strange. I suppose the section signal at Moreton could be cleared to allow it to enter the station at maximum speed, but that would involve extra faff with Moreton and Evesham 'boxes.

Perhaps time to consider my proposal in post #757 on 19th November? The one about putting the Combe and Finstock stops on the following 1W33.

It was made due to concerns on capacity with the 2-car Turbo working the 'Halts' train as a way of allowing a 3-car train to work that service, but is just as relevant as a proposal to give a little more slack in the very tight timings that 2E14 seems unable to keep to between Oxford and Moreton.

So, I've attached a suggested timetable amendment, based on what I said before. It gives 2E14 an extra minute loading at Oxford, and then an extra three minutes to get to Moreton (after allowing for time saved by removing the two stops). It gives more time between 2E14 arriving at Moreton and 1W33 passing Ascott - up from one minute to five minutes. I think it's a much more workable timetable.

Another four-minute late arrival at Moreton-in-Marsh for the halts train this evening, with the inevitable five-minute delay to the 16.58, which had been right time at Charlbury.

While your plan may look like a possible solution (though I doubt GWR marketing would want a superfast calling at Combe International...), it may not be needed, as people seem to be adjusting their habits to fit with the new timetable, though that may raise some questions about rolling stock allocations (see below).

I have heard today from someone who travelled back from Oxford on the halts train yesterday, who said that it had some empty seats leaving Oxford, so it looks like a fair number of people who used to have to dash to make the 17.25 departure (rather than waiting until 18.17 for the next service) have reduced their stress levels by switching to the new 17.45 departure instead.

The fundamental problem is that a 52-minute running time from Oxford to Moreton-in-Marsh (based on actual Turbo performance on exactly the same train in the past) does not shrink to a 44-minute one just because the timetablers make it so on their computer screens, no matter how rusty the drivers on that link may be at the moment.

Also, I wouldn't want to be adding another 15 or so passengers on 1W33, judging by how busy it is already shaping up to be, despite running in the middle of what has traditionally been a big gap in Cotswold line departures from both Paddington and Oxford.

A case where a five-car set may well be struggling to provide enough seats at busier times of the year than early January, as it looked near-full arriving at Oxford for the past couple of days and there were plenty of Hanborough passengers stood in the vestibules from Oxford, with just the odd seat left empty. And plenty of people heading west into Worcestershire as well after I got off.

PS: The idea of putting the early evening up call at Shipton into 1P40, giving a departure time that would be much more useful for anyone wanting an evening out in Oxford, was raised in the consultation period but nothing was changed. No idea why this can't be done when, as you note, the IET just sits at Charlbury for seven minutes waiting for a path on the single line.

II

I have heard today from someone who travelled back from Oxford on the halts train yesterday, who said that it had some empty seats leaving Oxford, so it looks like a fair number of people who used to have to dash to make the 17.25 departure (rather than waiting until 18.17 for the next service) have reduced their stress levels by switching to the new 17.45 departure instead.

Without wishing to pat myself on the back too hard, that's exactly what I predicted would happen, despite opinions to the contrary - see post #757.

Mind you, at that time I was rather hoping the 17:45 would be allocated a 9-car unit. Perhaps things can be juggled around if it gets too bad?

jimm

Established Member
Without wishing to pat myself on the back too hard, that's exactly what I predicted would happen, despite opinions to the contrary - see post #757.

Mind you, at that time I was rather hoping the 17:45 would be allocated a 9-car unit. Perhaps things can be juggled around if it gets too bad?

I didn't say people wouldn't make the switch, the question was how many would, and the jury is still out on that. I was told there were not many empty seats available on that Turbo - and Oxford Brookes University is not back until Monday, while Oxford University's new academic term doesn't start for another week after that, which also has an effect on custom.

Similarly this will likely also affect the 17.45, both in terms of some people pushing back journeys - and people bringing them forward, who used to use the former 18.17 departure. Especially as the punctuality of the 17.34 from Paddington (18.24 from Oxford) has been pretty patchy so far - perhaps it is the reincarnation of the old 17.50 from Paddington, which just could not run to time, year after year, when HSTs worked it.

And some passengers may be actively avoiding the halts train, as a result of it already being cancelled several times since December 17 - including Tuesday this week. You weren't wrong about it becoming the train that control loves to terminate at Oxford, in place of the former 15.50 Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh.

Quite how the five-car IET on the 16.58 squares with GWR's 'all long trains from Paddington in the peak' promise, I'm not sure. Unless it involves an endlessly flexible definition of 'peak', depending on the context, so it starts at 17.00 for rolling stock but earlier for tickets, as you aren't welcome with any variety of off-peak ticket from Paddington on the 16.58.

Connections at Oxford from XC into the Cotswold Line superfasts have been managed most of the week - which makes a change - but the 19.15 ex-Reading/19.45 ex-Oxford one still isn't doing well. Failed on Monday and Tuesday, as the GWR train was put ahead of the late-running Voyager both days at Didcot, while on Wednesday the again late-running Voyager went ahead, but only because the 18.50 from Paddington was pulled up at Didcot East to allow late-running trains heading towards London to pass before it crossed to the Oxford line - resulting in yet another not very superfast 12 minutes late at Oxford.

Before anyone goes, 'but it was a minute early arriving at Hereford in the end', please note the long stops at Great Malvern and Ledbury on its booked schedule. Great for the 'on time' statistics, but in the real world a late arrival home for passengers all the way from Oxford to Worcester. And looking a lot like too many Cotswold Line evening peak journeys in HST days.

Class 33

Established Member
I finally got on one of the Bristol-London EXPRESS services on Friday 3rd January. After I should have originally got on two of these services on the inauguration day of Monday 16th December, but I couldn't due to clashing with starting a new job. Anyway, I got on the 1824 service from Bristol Temple Meads-London Paddington. Thank goodness it wasn't cancelled, as I had noticed that a number of these express services had been cancelled during the previous 2 weeks or so. It was a 5 carriage train. But it wasn't very busy, I was in the front Quiet Zone carriage and there were only 5 other people in it!

Soon after I boarded a live announcement on the PA system said basically "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a super-fast service to London Paddington calling Bristol Parkway and London Paddington only. Once again, this service is for Bristol Parkway and London Paddington ONLY.". Was very refreshing to hear an announcement like that instead of the all too familiar "... We will be calling at Bath Spa, Chippenham, Swindon, Didcot Parkway, Reading and London Paddington." announcements with far too many stops! A bit later as we approached Bristol Parkway, the same lady on the PA system said "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now approaching Bristol Parkway. Upon departure from here we will be running non-stop to London Paddington only, and will not be calling at any other stations. Once again, upon departure from here the next stop is London Paddington only.". And then just after departure from Bristol Parkway, the customer host guy made an another announcement about the food and drinks trolley and ended with "We hope you have a pleasant journey as we now run soooooper-fast through to London Paddington!". Very refreshing to hear announcements like this about being on a super-fast Bristol-London service! Sounds like some of the onboard staff are enjoying these new super-fast express services too! After this the next announcement wasn't until just approaching London Paddington, which was a pre-recorded announcement just saying we are now approaching the final stop London Paddington. Just over an an hour with no annoying frequent announcements. Had I been on one of the normal SLOW Bristol-London services, there'd have been umpteen announcements throughout the journey when approaching and departing each of the several station calls.

The service departed Bristol Temple Meads just 1 minute late at 1824, and arrived into London Paddington just 1 minute late at 1945. Just an hour and 21 minutes journey time and just one calling stop enroute! Which made it a much more relaxing journey, than being on one of the slow services stopping at several stations. I very much enjoyed this journey. I had been waiting over 20 years for services like this between Bristol and London to be introduced/re-introduced. Thank goodness they're now FINALLY running! Absolutely bloody SOOOOPERB!!! Highly recommended! 10/10!

I can't wait to get some more journeys on these Bristol-London EXPRESS services soon! Though won't be till March till I'm able to do so. Am booked on the 1723 Bristol-London service on Wednesday 4th March. And would still like to get a journey on one of the other services which call at just Bath Spa and Chippenham between Bristol and London.

lewesroad

I too have been enjoying the Superfast services. I have been catching the 14:45 from Paddington to Weston super Mare on Fridays as part of my weekly commute. I can see a timetable change in March, however. On March 20 and 27, the 14:45 does not run but is replaced by a 14:43 to Penzance which stops at Reading and then fast to Bristol Temple Meads. The 14:32 runs through to Weston super Mare with the traditional stopping pattern via Chippenham.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change or more timetable tinkering before the new May timetable?

ATW158Xpress

I too have been enjoying the Superfast services. I have been catching the 14:45 from Paddington to Weston super Mare on Fridays as part of my weekly commute. I can see a timetable change in March, however. On March 20 and 27, the 14:45 does not run but is replaced by a 14:43 to Penzance which stops at Reading and then fast to Bristol Temple Meads. The 14:32 runs through to Weston super Mare with the traditional stopping pattern via Chippenham.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change or more timetable tinkering before the new May timetable?
The line will be closed between Castle Cary and Taunton between 14 - 29 March so WOE services are diverted via Bristol.

mikeb42

...Bristol-London EXPRESS services...

Hmmm. So far, the performance of these has been woeful when it matters (i.e. not at 2pm on a Wednesday) to customers who depend on them operating as advertised.

The 1725 BRI-PAD has run 13 times since the timetable change and has been on time as many times as it has been cancelled, i.e. once. Of 13 journeys, 7 have resulted in delay repay claims. If I understand correctly how it is calculated, the appropriate PPM metric for this service stands at 46% so far...

This http://trains.im/ppmhistorical/GW/36 and this http://trains.im/ppmhistorical/GW/38 accurately reflect the apparent effect of the new timetable as experienced on the ground to-date. Hopefully the calmer period since the start of Jan isn't just due to it being a period of untypically low passenger numbers.

Most of the many significant delays seem to be due to Network Rail's infrastructure balls-ups rather than GWR itself. They seem to be literally a near-daily occurrence between Reading and Paddington in particular. Huge capital investment of public money has been lavished on electrification, new trains, resignalling etc yet it looks like groundhog day.

Status
Not open for further replies.