• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR delay repay 28 February 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyalbania

On 28 February (last Friday) I took my usual return journey London Paddington/Swansea for a regular appointment. Train left Paddington on time at 9.48 (my usual route). Arrived at Cardiff Central to be told that the line through to Swansea was blocked by flooding and the train would go through the Vale of Glamorgan - estimated delay about 35 minutes so for me no problem.

However, just beyond Barry the train stopped again and we were told that this line was also blocked by flooding and the train would be returning to Cardiff Central. On arrival at Cardiff, we were also told that there were major flooding problems on the roads and there may not be any buses which could get through. So appointment missed in any case. I returned to London.

I asked for compensation on Delay/Repay from GWR via their website. They have just emailed me to say that "we have confirmed that the delay you experienced was between 30-59 minutes" and offered compensation of £19.80 out of a total of £78 for the whole return journey, which was of course never completed!

They also said that "your claim has been checked using a set process.....using historic train running information". I assume that means they have used an average delay for that route and not taken into account the exceptional circumstances of 28 February. I have tried to appeal this via the website, as advised - the website is not accepting my appeal information.

I am off to Swansea again (as usual!) on Friday, and intend to take evidence with me to speak to GWR staff at the station.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure that I get the full compensation for a wasted journey?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
On 28 February (last Friday) I took my usual return journey London Paddington/Swansea for a regular appointment. Train left Paddington on time at 9.48 (my usual route). Arrived at Cardiff Central to be told that the line through to Swansea was blocked by flooding and the train would go through the Vale of Glamorgan - estimated delay about 35 minutes so for me no problem.

However, just beyond Barry the train stopped again and we were told that this line was also blocked by flooding and the train would be returning to Cardiff Central. On arrival at Cardiff, we were also told that there were major flooding problems on the roads and there may not be any buses which could get through. So appointment missed in any case. I returned to London.

I asked for compensation on Delay/Repay from GWR via their website. They have just emailed me to say that "we have confirmed that the delay you experienced was between 30-59 minutes" and offered compensation of £19.80 out of a total of £78 for the whole return journey, which was of course never completed!

They also said that "your claim has been checked using a set process.....using historic train running information". I assume that means they have used an average delay for that route and not taken into account the exceptional circumstances of 28 February. I have tried to appeal this via the website, as advised - the website is not accepting my appeal information.

I am off to Swansea again (as usual!) on Friday, and intend to take evidence with me to speak to GWR staff at the station.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure that I get the full compensation for a wasted journey?

Thanks for any help!

As you abandoned your journey, you can ask for a full refund from the issuer. Delay repay isn't the best route to go down as you can't provide an actual arrival time.

jennyalbania

As you abandoned your journey, you can ask for a full refund from the issuer. Delay repay isn't the best route to go down as you can't provide an actual arrival time.
Thanks for that! As a novice at this game, I assume by "the issuer" you mean the organisation fromwhich I bought the ticket - in this case Trainline.

Many thanks for your help

A Challenge

Established Member
You should indeed claim for a refund for abandoned journey from Trainline, due to trains cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.