• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Delay Repay from April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

About **!!* time!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/delay-repay-15-secured-for-gwr-passengers

Great Western Railway (GWR) passengers will soon be able to benefit from improved compensation for delays, Rail Minister Andrew Jones announced today (12 March 2019).

The launch of Delay Repay 15 (DR15) on the franchise, due on 1 April (2019), will enable passengers holding single, return or weekly tickets to claim money back for when services are cancelled or their journey is delayed by 15 minutes or more, whatever the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Given I don't know them, it wouldn't be my place to comment. I'm only quoting your own previous regarding the implementation of the new compensation scheme. To use your words, when it comes to Direct Award, GWR are good at negotiating what is best for themselves rather than what is good for the passengers. If 'this time, it's different' is true, then fantastic.

Rumours reach us all the time that staff are briefed things that turn out to be bull all the time.

Still, assuming a public announcement is made this will be a splendid development. GWR passengers have had to put up with excuses and poorer rights than almost all other railway passengers for far too long.

For once, a GWR rumour via a staff briefing was true.

Delay Repay 15 comes to GWR from 1st April 2019.

https://www.gwr.com/help-and-support/refunds-and-compensation/delay-repay

Delay repay launches 1 April 2019
On Monday 1 April 2019, we’ll be changing the way we compensate you for your train delays – making it quicker and more convenient, as well as compensating you for more delays.

What is delay repay?
If you're delayed by more than 15 minutes when travelling with GWR train on a single, return or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

A splendid development. I'm slightly surprised they've moved straight to Delay Repay 15 though, even on long distance services. That makes them the joint first long distance "Intercity" style operator to offer this - along with Greater Anglia, who, according to the Halstead Gazette, are offering the same from 1 April.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Well, for one thing the calculation wouldn't be 50% of the ticket cost for a 35 minute delay to a 14-day All Line Rover.
No, but it is about whether or not other tickets are at all included in Delay Repay, or have to rely on the rubbish old delay compensation scheme.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
'Delay Repay' applies to all ticket types. Otherwise, it isn't 'Delay Repay'. So the government have told us, at least...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Exactly. So the information on that page is only valid for standard point-to-point tickets.

No, it's not. I am referring to this:

What is delay repay?
If you're delayed by more than 15 minutes when travelling with GWR train on a single, return or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation.

This reads to me that they will have different arrangements for Rover and monthly and longer Seasons, which is not proper Delay Repay.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Hmmm.
"Delays are calculated against the planned, advertised timetable so compensation is not usually offered during periods of pre-planned engineering works and when replacement bus services are used.".

So are they saying that delay repay isn't payable during engineering works / replacement buses full stop?
Seems pretty contradictory as quite often those timetables are "planned and advertised" so not sure how they can wiggle out of that.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hmmm.
"Delays are calculated against the planned, advertised timetable so compensation is not usually offered during periods of pre-planned engineering works and when replacement bus services are used.".

So are they saying that delay repay isn't payable during engineering works / replacement buses full stop?
Seems pretty contradictory as quite often those timetables are "planned and advertised" so not sure how they can wiggle out of that.

That's saying that if the public timetable contained buses, compensation will be based on those buses. That's pretty standard.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
That's saying that if the public timetable contained buses, compensation will be based on those buses. That's pretty standard.

Is it?
The wording "so compensation is not usually offered during periods of pre-planned engineering works" sounds very specific to me!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Of course, they could just make it more correct and easier to understand by saying "Compensation will be paid with reference to the timetable in effect at the time of buying your ticket. This means that, where engineering works and/or rail replacement buses are advertised in advance, you will not be entitled to any compensation for any delay incurred compared to the regular timetable, if you booked after the works and/or replacements were advertised."

tnc1997

Great news! Does anyone know if this will blanketly apply across all service groups, as opposed to just the Thames Valley, as per the differences between compensation arrangements in the current system?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Great news! Does anyone know if this will blanketly apply across all service groups, as opposed to just the Thames Valley, as per the differences between compensation arrangements in the current system?
Yes, it applies to all service groups.

Also applies to Greater Anglia w.e.f. the same date, though that's less of a step up as they were already on Delay Repay 30.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Is it?
The wording "so compensation is not usually offered during periods of pre-planned engineering works" sounds very specific to me!
If they won't pay where delays are caused due to engineering work or bus replacement, it's not 'Delay Repay'.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Angonamo, that isn't proper Delay Repay - Delay Repay applies to ALL tickets not just single, return and weekly.
From a stakeholder communication I received by email:
"We are continuing discussions about compensation arrangements for monthly or longer season tickets holders. The current arrangements will continue for the time being and season ticket holders will retain their existing renewal discounts.

We will then move season ticket holders to Delay Repay as performance improves, and I will keep you informed on this."

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If they won't pay where delays are caused due to engineering work or bus replacement, it's not 'Delay Repay'.

From a stakeholder communication I received by email:
"We are continuing discussions about compensation arrangements for monthly or longer season tickets holders. The current arrangements will continue for the time being and season ticket holders will retain their existing renewal discounts.

We will then move season ticket holders to Delay Repay as performance improves, and I will keep you informed on this."

So it looks like it won't be proper "delay repay" rather some "bespoke" arrangement. I take it we have to wait until the new franchise (April 2020) for that? Or will they try and carry over this inferior "delay repay" scheme into the new franchise?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
<smirk>

"We're so rubbish that it'd cost us too much"

:D
It seems the Department has failed to procure from GWR the compensation scheme that they have from every other franchisee that they've negotiated with - to the firm detriment of the consumer. Weakness from the government, and no doubt a very weak negotiating position they have trapped themselves in by handing out a direct award to First over this franchise so many times, over so many years. There is no level playing field on compensation and consumers have expressed their displeasure at this before.

Signing off on a half-measure because they can't manage to do it poperly - this really is a stinking new low for the Transport Secretary!

I suppose we have seen similar things before. Somehow First/MTR managed to negotiate several months delay after taking up their contract before implementing their new compensation arrangements.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought there’d been quite a few posts from season ticket holders over the last few years saying they actually preferred charter discounts and void days...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So it looks like it won't be proper "delay repay" rather some "bespoke" arrangement. I take it we have to wait until the new franchise (April 2020) for that? Or will they try and carry over this inferior "delay repay" scheme into the new franchise?
There will be a lot of backlash from commuters if they all moved onto DR straight away. Some GWR service groups have been offering enhanced 16% renewal discounts on annuals for a substantial period of time.

Evidence suggests season ticket holders are far better off under Charter discount regime where one is offered.

A splendid development. I'm slightly surprised they've moved straight to Delay Repay 15 though, even on long distance services. That makes them the joint first long distance "Intercity" style operator to offer this - along with Greater Anglia, who, according to the Halstead Gazette, are offering the same from 1 April.
All new schemes will be DR15. There will be no more DR30 schemes introduced as things stand atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.