• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Delay Repay / Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I’d be grateful for advice on delay repay and refund applications with GWR.
  1. Yesterday I travelled from Torquay to Paddington via Bristol. I bought the ticket (first class off peak single) from Cross Country. The GWR train was delayed by a signal failure and arrived approx. 20 minutes late. The Train Manager announced that we could make delay repay claims. I think GWR allow these after 15 minutes but Cross Country after 30 minutes. Can I claim and if so from which company?

2. Last month a refund claim for an unused Sleeper Solo from London to Penzance was (wrongly) refused. Email said ‘Ticket not eligible for refund’. I phoned GWR and was told that this was because the ticket was from Truro to Paddington. The person I spoke to agreed that there was an error, said he would talk to a relevant person and call me back or email. I heard nothing so resubmitted the claim about two weeks ago and have had no response. Two other claims made on the same day have been settled. Should I wait, phone or write to GWR?

3. I have made quite a few claims from GWR in the last couple of months, due to delays and changes to journeys as an indirect consequence of Covid and their IET train issues. As well as yesterday’s delay I need to cancel three more sleeper bookings (booked when IET trains out of service but now not needed). Is it possible that they may view a lot of claims in a short time as suspicious and if so would it be a good idea to write to GWR to explain the reasons behind these claims?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
1. Claim from GWR as they delayed you.

2. The chances are the person who said they’d speak to someone has either both bothered or they have passed the message on and the next person in the queue has nothing bothered. You’ve nothing to lose by chasing it up by telephone.

3. Normal refund rules apply. If you’re eligible for a refund then you can apply. There is no real reason to assume that by claiming lots of refunds there is anything suspicious but I understand people’s concerns with the recent behaviour of other operators. If the journeys haven’t happened and they’re in the future there is no reason why you shouldn’t apply if the tickets are refundable.

Essexman

Established Member
Thanks for the advice.
I submitted a claim to GWR yesterday for the delay on the journey purchased from Cross Country and got an email back the same day to say my claim had been accepted.

robbeech

Established Member
We have come a long way with delay repay systems. They’re far from perfect, and I for one do like to complain at their failings but we mustn’t forget that the processes in place that automate the claim are there with largely good intentions and make the whole process for straightforward claims orders of magnitude faster which is a fantastic thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.