• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR HST's to Marylebone 27th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I've just find out that GWR will be running some services into Marylebone I thought they weren't going to do that after what happened last time didn't it bring disruption to the Chiltern services.
Also what services will run from Paddington between 28th and 31st December because I thought that Paddington was going to be completley closed and services would be terminating at Ealing Broadway like last year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking at http://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering/christmas2017, the plan is as follows:
  • Christmas Eve: 1tph to/from Marylebone via Oxford. Alternating between Swansea and Penzance. Thames Valley services starting from/terminating at Slough.
  • Wednesday 27th December: As Christmas Eve, though timings aren't showing up yet.
  • 28th to 31st December: Two track railway (exact points not specified), so reduced service into Paddington.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Looking at http://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering/christmas2017, the plan is as follows:
  • Christmas Eve: 1tph to/from Marylebone via Oxford. Alternating between Swansea and Penzance. Thames Valley services starting from/terminating at Slough.
  • Wednesday 27th December: As Christmas Eve, though timings aren't showing up yet.
  • 28th to 31st December: Two track railway (exact points not specified), so reduced service into Paddington.
Already looked at that my guess is that some services will run into Paddington while others will terminate at Ealing Broadway as there will be no District line service there although I've been pushing London underground to run the Piccadilly line there instead like they did 4 Christmases ago but they refuse to do so because of of the route familiarity. Hopefully I'll get to see HST's and possibly Adelante's and IEP's stopping there.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Is there any particular reason they don’t use Waterloo any more? Surely Via Salisbury or Wokingham would be easier for them?

A0wen

On Moderation
I bet they don't run HSTs into Marylebone - isn't there a problem with Mk3s and clearance on the tunnels on the approach to Marylebone?

More likely to be Turbos doing Marylebone - Oxford - which of course are already cleared into Marylebone.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there any particular reason they don’t use Waterloo any more? Surely Via Salisbury or Wokingham would be easier for them?
I think more recent theoretical opportunities have coincided with Waterloo closures that had already significantly reduced capacity into Waterloo for SWT (now SWR) services.
There are fairly significant restrictions on running HSTs via Ascot and Staines in the online Sectional Appendix, mainly very slow speeds through various platforms. It would possibly wreck the timetable.

But GW HSTs have definitely run into Marylebone before, here's a video from 2015:

Established Member
I bet they don't run HSTs into Marylebone - isn't there a problem with Mk3s and clearance on the tunnels on the approach to Marylebone?

More likely to be Turbos doing Marylebone - Oxford - which of course are already cleared into Marylebone.

So I must have imagined the HST I did out of Marylebone a couple of years ago... It will be HSTs and not turbos.

Clip

Established Member

How do they manage with the loco hauled mk3 sets then?

pdeaves

Established Member
Marylebone is more attractive now that the Bicester curve is open, removing the need to travel via, and reverse at, Banbury. Also, using Marylebone skips fewer 'proper' calls than travelling to Waterloo via Salisbury (doesn't make much difference if travelling to Waterloo via Reading).

ctyerkes

Is it definite that the Marylebone services will run via Bicester Village and not via Banbury? I know it makes better sense but am not sure if the routing has been confirmed. Thanks in advance.

NSEFAN

Established Member

ctyerkes

Thank you NSEFAN. I didn't think to check RTT - I didn't appreciate the provisional timings are there already.

Class 170101

Established Member
I'm surprised its only hourly though. Didn't the last occasion see two GW services per hour into Marylebone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.